• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Shaft Question...

bfrank3502

Rookie Golfer
Dec 7, 2008
Since there are lots of people on here that repair and make custom clubs and have some great knowledge of steel shafts for irons, I have a question for you'll.. I have been watching lots of pros from champions, PGA, Nationwide, and 98% of the tour players have either Project X, or KBS steel shafts.... Are these two brands of shafts that much better than say true temper or Nippon, or whatever comes in a set that an amateur would buy off the rack in a golf shop? Could someone explain what makes the irons so much either popular or so much better than the others? And would it help an amateur to have these iron if that person was a 10-15 handicap or not? Thanks in advance

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Mostly, they play what they get paid to play. Project X and KBS Tour shafts are two of the most expensive shafts you can buy. That said, they are also two very high quality shafts that MIGHT suit your game very well. Some people on here, even very knowledgeable golfers like LyleG, who does a TON of custom clubwork, hates the PX shaft. PX is a very tip-stiff shaft (I think?) that is made to lower your ball flight and give, ideally, a more penetrating trajectory. I play them because I've always hit a very high ball. Nippon and True Temper both make quality shafts as well. If you want a good quality shaft for almost nothing, look at the FST Pro 115, or 125 lines. They're $7 a shaft new, and they're very good. I play one in my 4-hybrid.

There is no "best shaft". There is "most expensive".

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Mostly, they play what they get paid to play. Project X and KBS Tour shafts are two of the most expensive shafts you can buy. That said, they are also two very high quality shafts that MIGHT suit your game very well. Some people on here, even very knowledgeable golfers like LyleG, who does a TON of custom clubwork, hates the PX shaft. PX is a very tip-stiff shaft (I think?) that is made to lower your ball flight and give, ideally, a more penetrating trajectory. I play them because I've always hit a very high ball. Nippon and True Temper both make quality shafts as well. If you want a good quality shaft for almost nothing, look at the FST Pro 115, or 125 lines. They're $7 a shaft new, and they're very good. I play one in my 4-hybrid.

There is no "best shaft". There is "most expensive".

Hell even the FST 125's are good shafts, and they go for $5.99 each brand new. Actually I can't think of a better shaft for me than the FST 125 in a set of irons. The only problem with FST is that they don't make a .355 tip shaft, kinda limits what clubheads you can put them into.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
TT dynamic gold is the number 1 iron shaft on all tours

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.