• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron spec help (MP60 vs AP2)

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I am completing my fourth season of playing my MP60s. Lately I have decided to finally look around at new irons and am most intrigued by the Titleist AP2s after demoing a set at my course one day. When I compare the specs I was surprised at the differences and I have some questions about them. As a side note the AP2s have less offset than my MP60s (that surprised me).

The lie angle is at least 1* greater (more upright) with the AP2s. How will this affect ballflight, or which swing type does this favor (flat vs upright)?

The AP2s have about 1* more bounce. What does this do exactly and which swingtype does this favor?

Thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The lie of the AP2's will promote a draw. I've seen this in person. A guy I play demo'd the Titleist line and I was there hitting balls with him. (He was more concerned about shafts between the heads, but I digress). The upright of the AP2 heads raise the toe for a "standard" lie player, and promote a draw. He plays MP-57's and found the AP2's easier to draw with the more upright face.

However, your angle of attack can reduce or increase the lie and loft depending if you're a sweeper or a digger. Most guys won't notice much difference +/- 1* of upright/flat. But some do.

The bounce won't hurt with 1*. Don't worry about that.

If you get a chance, hit the AP2's. And try them with the fitting cart and select a variety of shafts. He (my friend) plays PX 6.0's in his 57's and found the X100 to be the best fit for him in the AP2's. The 6.0's hit head to head he found were about 7 yards shorter than his Mizzy's, but about 5 yards longer with the X100's. This was verified by the Assisstant pro, who shagged the balls on the range to see what kind of spin/vertical drop he was getting (no trackman at this course, unfortunately).

Long story short, get out and hit them. They're a great iron.

R35

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Wait just a minute...did I just hear you say a Titleist club was "a great iron"??? Wow, I better start storing gasoline and bullets because the world might be coming to an end hahaha.

I snuck out today during lunch and hit an AP2. They only had a 6 iron with a project x 6.0. There is no doubt that they were more forgiving than the MP60. Distance wise I would have to give a very slight edge to the AP2 (and as Rock mentioned I would love to try different shafts). While the AP2 felt better than expected I was never able to replicate the feel of my MP60. I hit some punch shots, punch draws, and fades and both seemed comparable, but if forced to choose a winner in the workability area I would say MP60 (granted I'm pretty comfortable with them).

I will try to demo a complete set before I do anything drastic. It will take some doing to pull the 60s out of my bag.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
You can't wrong with the AP2's. I love mine. That being said, I don't think they are superior to the MP-60's in any way. Mizzuno makes some great irons, and the MP-60 is gorgeous. The only difference, IMO, is the MP-60's offer a little more feedback on off center hits. Heh, I think I would rather have the AP2's in the winter because miss-hits hurt like hell when it's cold out.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Wait just a minute...did I just hear you say a Titleist club was "a great iron"??? Wow, I better start storing gasoline and bullets because the world might be coming to an end hahaha.

I've never said that Titleist made shitty equipment. It just doesn't fit my eye. But it's undeniable that it's solid.

Still, better get some gas and bullets, and maybe a generator. :D

R35

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I've tried the AP2s and I'd still take my old 690mb irons over them any day. Point is everybody is different and the only way you will know is to try them. Everybody has different likes and dis-likes. For me, I want a small head with a very thin top-line with maximum feedback on offcenter hits and as little offset as possible.......but that's just me.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I've never said that Titleist made shitty equipment. It just doesn't fit my eye. But it's undeniable that it's solid.

Still, better get some gas and bullets, and maybe a generator. :D

R35

Ha - you knew I couldn't let that one slide buddy!

🔥 Latest posts