• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iron suggestions?

Timberland

Feb 13, 2008
alright, i'm ready to upgrade from the 8-year-old start set of irons i currently have in my bag. any suggestions? i'm willing to fork over the dough if it means results. i hear all the hype, but i wanted to hear it from the guys that actually play with the equipment. every bit helps. thanks in advance!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I always recommend the set I'm playing if you're still playing bogey golf (15-20+hcp). MacGregor M565. They can be had very inexpensively on ebay and they're a really lovely club. Very soft feel, very forgiving. I still manage to work the ball, and it's easy to hit these long.

Other recommendations would probably be to get fitted. But if you still have a flawed swing, it's hard to say what they'd be fitting.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
i'm willing to fork over the dough if it means results. thanks in advance!

Option 1: In my bag is a set of experienced irons. These irons have been coddled and conditioned just for YOUR game! I would hate to part with such a pristine set, but since your are "willing to fork over the dough", I'll PM you my address. As soon as I receive the check for $5,000... and it clears... I'll send you the best set of irons I've ever owned.:laugh:

Option 2: Get on ebay. Find a set of irons that were made "specifically and especially for Tiger Woods". These irons will are rare and bring unusually high prices. Expect to pay $7,000 to $8,000 for the set. But, you can join numerous forums on the 'net and let everyone know your game is now purchased!:laugh:

Option 3... and the one I would recommend... tell us a little about your game. Most of us who play this frustrating game can have a tad bit more fun if our irons have a little forgiveness built in. What looks good to your eye? Is anything (thick top line... offset) especially negative to your eye?

A number of shops will have fitting carts from various manufacturers. You can get on Ping's website and find a fitting cart in your area. Go hit a few irons from a couple of manufacturers. Begin to develop an idea of what looks good and what feels good. Once you have it narrowed down to a couple of manufacturers, do an exhaustive study of their lines and which irons to look for.

There have not been radical changes in irons over the past few years. You will find yourself getting whipped on the course by fellas carrying old Pings... old Callaways... "yesterday's" models. You can find excellent pro-line sets second hand in good condition at good prices.

The best customer service OEM's are Ping and Callaway. You will read account after account how these two manufacturers have taken care of customer issues... even if the irons were purchase second hand. Both Ping and Callaway seem to hold their resale.

Many have purchased through the Callaway pre-owned site, linkable via Callaway's main site. I've heard nothing but good about purchases from that source.

My personal take on irons...
Ping... Virtually indestructable! Excellent playability with some forgiveness. Best customer service in the business!
Callaway... Excellent game improvement irons. Excellent customer service.
Mizuno... the best in forged irons in the business. Forged take a little more TLC, but those who enjoy the forged "feel" are hooked for life.
Titleist... Typified as "player's" clubs. Good forged lines. Cast models have suffered. Not noted for customer servie.
Cobra... Game improvement. Can be somewhat "funky" looking. Division of Achusnet, owner of Titlest.
Adams... Really made advances the past few years. Pioneer in hybrid sets.
MacGregor... Old line name. Not noted for holding resale. Good deals available. If you plan to keep them a long, long time... okay. If you want to think of trading up in a couple of years, probably not the best choice.
Wilson... See MacGregor.
Taylor Made... If you like today's model, wait 6 weeks and you can buy it at half price. New models come out quite often and prices drop like rocks. Good name and good product.

Don't get in a big hurry. If you settle on a particular set or two, come back to the forum and ask opinions. There are some great golf minds on this forum that will try to assist to the best of their ability. Once you find "that" set... get to know and love them. Form an intimate relationship with them. Sleep with them, if necessary!!! Get to know each iron's personality. How far do you hit each one with a good relaxed swing? Does any single iron have a unique trajectory? With irons, it's not how long... it's how many! I don't care if you can hit an 8-iron 200 yards. If you can't hit it EXACTLY the distance it is to the pin... I'll clean your clock with my "old man's" 135 yard 8-iron. Build your confidence and any well made set, fit to your physical attributes and your game will do you well for years to come!

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
honestly it depends. are you looking for offset no offset cavity back game improvement forged blade iron cast blade iron... there are so many options... you have to at least know the style youre looking for... i suggest the nickent 3dx pro irons. they are genius but if you want to try something really awesome... then hit the nickent 4dx pros... id get them if i had the scratch(money not handicap) as it is i dont. try em.

OP
T

Timberland

Feb 13, 2008
Great Advice

That is great advice. I'll give it all some serious consideration. Thanks for all the replies.

Also, in response to a post above (a little about my game):

New to the game. I have the occasional great shots that keep me coming back but I am not immune to the tops and chunks that inspire a club toss. My buddy that I play with most often (he's an avid golfer) tells me that I probably have a handicap in the mid-teens. Not all that impressive (and he could be way off, read: low) but I'm working from there. My strength is putting. I find it to be the least stressful part of the game.

Thanks again!

Hmbre97

Jan 10, 2008
The best customer service OEM's are Ping and Callaway. You will read account after account how these two manufacturers have taken care of customer issues... even if the irons were purchase second hand. Both Ping and Callaway seem to hold their resale.

Just wanted to add to this. Shortly after buying my irons from a seller on eBay, the weighted insert in the back of my 6 iron decided to go on its own journey; a.k.a. it flew out of the club and I had no idea where it was. Called Taylor Made and they told me to bring it to an authorized reseller to have it shipped back @ no charge for repair; no questions asked. Club came back with a brand new head on it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Check out Global Golf (PRO SHOP) above for great deals on iron sets. I love my Pings but they're not "pretty". :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Option 1: In my bag is a set of experienced irons. These irons have been coddled and conditioned just for YOUR game! I would hate to part with such a pristine set, but since your are "willing to fork over the dough", I'll PM you my address. As soon as I receive the check for $5,000... and it clears... I'll send you the best set of irons I've ever owned.:laugh:

Option 2: Get on ebay. Find a set of irons that were made "specifically and especially for Tiger Woods". These irons will are rare and bring unusually high prices. Expect to pay $7,000 to $8,000 for the set. But, you can join numerous forums on the 'net and let everyone know your game is now purchased!:laugh:

Option 3... and the one I would recommend... tell us a little about your game. Most of us who play this frustrating game can have a tad bit more fun if our irons have a little forgiveness built in. What looks good to your eye? Is anything (thick top line... offset) especially negative to your eye?

A number of shops will have fitting carts from various manufacturers. You can get on Ping's website and find a fitting cart in your area. Go hit a few irons from a couple of manufacturers. Begin to develop an idea of what looks good and what feels good. Once you have it narrowed down to a couple of manufacturers, do an exhaustive study of their lines and which irons to look for.

There have not been radical changes in irons over the past few years. You will find yourself getting whipped on the course by fellas carrying old Pings... old Callaways... "yesterday's" models. You can find excellent pro-line sets second hand in good condition at good prices.

Many have purchased through the Callaway pre-owned site, linkable via Callaway's main site. I've heard nothing but good about purchases from that source.

My personal take on irons...
Ping... Virtually indestructable! Excellent playability with some forgiveness. Best customer service in the business!
Callaway... Excellent game improvement irons. Excellent customer service.
Mizuno... the best in forged irons in the business. Forged take a little more TLC, but those who enjoy the forged "feel" are hooked for life.
Titleist... Typified as "player's" clubs. Good forged lines. Cast models have suffered. Not noted for customer servie.
Cobra... Game improvement. Can be somewhat "funky" looking. Division of Achusnet, owner of Titlest.
Adams... Really made advances the past few years. Pioneer in hybrid sets.
MacGregor... Old line name. Not noted for holding resale. Good deals available. If you plan to keep them a long, long time... okay. If you want to think of trading up in a couple of years, probably not the best choice.
Wilson... See MacGregor.
Taylor Made... If you like today's model, wait 6 weeks and you can buy it at half price. New models come out quite often and prices drop like rocks. Good name and good product.

Don't get in a big hurry. If you settle on a particular set or two, come back to the forum and ask opinions. There are some great golf minds on this forum that will try to assist to the best of their ability. Once you find "that" set... get to know and love them. Form an intimate relationship with them. Sleep with them, if necessary!!! Get to know each iron's personality. How far do you hit each one with a good relaxed swing? Does any single iron have a unique trajectory? With irons, it's not how long... it's how many! I don't care if you can hit an 8-iron 200 yards. If you can't hit it EXACTLY the distance it is to the pin... I'll clean your clock with my "old man's" 135 yard 8-iron. Build your confidence and any well made set, fit to your physical attributes and your game will do you well for years to come!

You kill me!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.