• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Iron Swap ?

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Have spotted a wee set of Taylor Made 300 series forged irons with Rifle Flighted 6.5 shafts that I very much fancy for sale. However, I bought a set of Callaway X-Forged that are pretty much the exact specs for me, being a tad longer and a little upright. They have Project X 6.0 shafts.

I am thinking that I could resort back to "the good old days" in my golfing life as I had said Taylor Mades for a number of years and adored the things, shooting many's a good round with them. I find them to feel equally as good as the Callys, and most probably more forgiving, and dare I say it, a little longer, perhaps, too.

I reckon that I can make myself a few bob if I were to go ahead and exchange them as I reckon I could get quite a good bit for the Callys as they're in very good nick and especially with the shafts that are in them.

Any views / opinions welcomed.

:) :)

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
What do you want to hear, Andy? Which do you hit better? I like both of the mentioned clubs. How much would you make in a trade?

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I used to hit the Taylor Mades really well. Don't think that the Callys are quite as forgiving and the TM's feel every bit as good, if not better, than the Callys.

I would probs make a good £200-£250 ($375-$460) on a trade, mate. I reckon the shafts might be better suited to me, but am a tad worried I might live to half regret it..:laugh:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
So, why did you get rid of the 300's in the first place? I just did a deal like this. I sold my Yes! Tracy II on here to make room for a TP Mills. Well, I always liked that putter, and knew almost instantly I shouldn't have gotten rid of it. Result? I begged for it back, and a fellow ST'er took pity on me and allowed me to buy it back.

The moral? I think if you think you'll play better with the TM's, do the deal, don't look back, no regrets. If they play better, feel better and are cheaper, that sounds like a good option.

BTW, when I see 300's, I think "player". If that matters, and it shouldn't. Good luck!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Get some Cobra SS forged and never look back! :D

but if there not your cup of tea then

The TM's are very sweet looking clubs. I think the lust for a new driver is what is at the heart of the proposed iron switch to genarate the £££'s needed. Do the deal and finance yourself for a Titty D2.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
See if IG will trade you for his Miura's.
icon10.gif

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
can you buy one without having to have sold the other first???

i honestly don't know if they match up....so if they don't, this is a wasted message. but, pick up the TM's, swap shafts between the two sets, that way you'll have the TM's to your specs. throw the 6.5s in the Cally's, sell 'em, and enjoy the TM's of your dreams.

if they don't match up, you make enough in the trade that you can still have the TM's fitted for you exactly.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Youngun: I feel the 6.5 Rifle Flighted shafts will be better suited to me than the 6.0 Project X, anyway. I honestly also believe that the former are ever bit as good a shaft, too.

I have also now learned that the shafts in the TM's are plus 1/2 inch and that the grips are marginally thicker, so I think I am onto a winner here with this, folks. I do, however, like the idea of getting the TM's and then perhaps weighing the two of them against each other on the range.

MG: Yeah, the good bit of money that I should receive in exchange for swopping will indeed come in handy. So you think that the D2 is the way to go, yeah ? It the best you have road-tested or what, mate...? :)

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Picked mine up on tuesday and I've played every day since. I can honestly say that it is quite simply the dogs bollox. Ask your pro if you can demo one for a round and I'm sure it will lead to you getting one permantly. :) It's longer than the 905R, a lot more forgiving distance wise on miss hits than the R & quite alot more forgiving on would be slice & hook swings than the 905R.

Plus there going for less tahn £200 on Ebay as well ! ! ! :D

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Youngun: I feel the 6.5 Rifle Flighted shafts will be better suited to me than the 6.0 Project X, anyway. I honestly also believe that the former are ever bit as good a shaft, too.

i think you just made your decision.....i would definitely go with the 300s, I hit the Cally's at work the other day and didn't think too highly of them...on the other hand, the only other real "playa" iron we carry is the Adams Pro Forged, and those were absolutely incredible.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.

🔥 Latest posts