• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons advice needed

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, after several rounds with the Hogan blades, I decided to try the Srixon i506's again yesterday. Here is what my experiment has shown me so far.

The blades seem to fit my game better, I believe this is because of the thinner sole, less bounce. With the Srixon CB's I noticed several times the club felt like it was bouncing off the ground causing thin hits.

The blades are standard lie and length, where my Srixons have been extended 1 inch, and bent 1.5º's upright. This was done after a fitting, however, the lie on the blades seems to fit me better now. AS we progress in this wonderful game of golf, can our fitting needs change along the way?

Can the Srixon's be re-bent back to standard lie without causing metal failure?

Is there a CB iron that has the bounce and sole of a blade? Or would I need to look at a combination club like the Titty ZB's? I REALLY like the looks of the ZB's btw, but I wonder how much forgivness they offer over a normal blade?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Those Titty ZB's are by far the sexiest clubs I've ever seen. That in no way helps your post... but I just felt like piping up!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Those Titty ZB's are by far the sexiest clubs I've ever seen. That in no way helps your post... but I just felt like piping up!

Yeah, they are drop dead gorgeous. Which isn't helping me here at all, part of me keeps saying they are just what I need. Then my brain kicks in and says, nooooo, you just like how they look, :laugh:

Has anyone on here hit them yet?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Are the 506's forged? I'm too lazy to check. If so, you'll be fine.

Why not just get a set of players CB's? Best of both worlds.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
As you refine your technique, your club needs can absolutely change. It is a good idea to hit off a lie board after any big swing changes. If you are getting better, your path probably is improving, meaning its possible you are not as OTT as you were before. If this is the case, a flatter lie angle may be in order.

There are many options in player's cavity back irons that share a blade's topline and thin sole. This is my cavity back:

KZG - The #1 Custom ProLine

They are very similar to the blade iron that KZG makes. Of course, the KZG ZO's I have actually have negative bounce on most clubs to encourage a descending blow. The 3 iron has -3 degrees bounce.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Are the 506's forged? I'm too lazy to check. If so, you'll be fine.

Why not just get a set of players CB's? Best of both worlds.

R35

Yes the i506's are forged

As you refine your technique, your club needs can absolutely change. It is a good idea to hit off a lie board after any big swing changes. If you are getting better, your path probably is improving, meaning its possible you are not as OTT as you were before. If this is the case, a flatter lie angle may be in order.

There are many options in player's cavity back irons that share a blade's topline and thin sole. This is my cavity back:

KZG - The #1 Custom ProLine

They are very similar to the blade iron that KZG makes. Of course, the KZG ZO's I have actually have negative bounce on most clubs to encourage a descending blow. The 3 iron has -3 degrees bounce.

I was just looking at their site. Sadly the closest dealer for KZG is 225 miles away.

Ughhhh, I just called the Golf Shop I normally use and they have a used set of Titty ZB's, and take trade ins and do fittings, sounds like I'm about to make a trip to town, ;)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
If I were to go Titleist, I'd be getting those ZB's. They are great, great looking clubs.

I like them at address to, and I've only hit them in the simulator bays at PGASS. Very smooth and soft feeling clubs, I didn't feel like they had any more or less forgivness than my TP CB's.

I too like a blade iron. I'm obsessed with a thin top line, sole and little offset. Too bad a GI iron doesn't possess any of those features I want.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Obv I am biased but how about a set of these?

Ben Hogan APEX FTX Iron Set 3-E Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

I've found them to be really good irons, the shorter clubs especially so.

How are the Radials anyway? Feel good?

If your talking about the Hogan Directors, too good actually. They are the reason for me looking to upgrade. I love the feel and flight of a solid shot with them. And I tend to hit more good shots with them than with the Srixons. But being a true blade, the occasional miss-hit is very punishing. In more ways than one, not only does it sting like all heck, but the ball does not travel very far at all.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Is there a CB iron that has the bounce and sole of a blade? Or would I need to look at a combination club like the Titty ZB's? I REALLY like the looks of the ZB's btw, but I wonder how much forgivness they offer over a normal blade?[/quote]

Mizuno MP-60's.....I may just know a guy that has a set, just about in your fitted specs thats getting ready to sell them. Shoot me a PM if you want so pictures...warning, they are thin and pretty.:laugh:

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yes the i506's are forged

I was just looking at their site. Sadly the closest dealer for KZG is 225 miles away.

Ughhhh, I just called the Golf Shop I normally use and they have a used set of Titty ZB's, and take trade ins and do fittings, sounds like I'm about to make a trip to town, ;)

You might try and hit a Titty AP2 iron. I love mine... sort of a blade feel at address, minimal offset, but very forgiving on mis-hits.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
You might try and hit a Titty AP2 iron. I love mine... sort of a blade feel at address, minimal offset, but very forgiving on mis-hits.

This is what I was going to suggest too. If you haven't tried them it's definitely worth a look. I've only had my AP2's for 3 days, and I haven't even had the chance to play them yet (Melt, melt, damned snow :mad: ), just hit most of my shag balls over the back fence from my yard, but I'm already in love. :D

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I know you might not like Tm products, but if you find a nice deal on some 2005 RAC TP Cb's, they play just like blades.

Infact, side by side with my musclebacks, the sole, and the top line are identical. The offset is minimal, but more than on the smokes.

Look into something like that maybe?

Or just get the Titleist. They are great looking and feel nice.

The AP2's, IMO don't give me that blade confidence. The top line to me, is way chunkier than I'd like to look down to.

Almost as bad as a callaway x20

🔥 Latest posts