• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons advice needed

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Okay, you have the Srixons and the Hogans. Yes, the Srixons can be bent again. And, just because you were fitted at longer and more upright doesn't mean that is the best for you. INCOMING!!!

A fitting all depends on the fitter and their methods and madness. Some time back Golf Digest took 3 different level players to 5 different fitters. These fitters were both independent fitters and manufacturers' fitters. It was amazing how different the specs were from fitter to fitter.

There is no "Bible" on golf fitting where you can go to Chapter 21, verse 42 and, immediately, find the "saving grace of golf". Again, you can have a good fitting or a not so good fitting.

If I were in your shoes, here's what I would probably do. It seems the Hogans fit and you like the reduced bounce. However, the added forgiveness of the Srixons would be nice. And, those Srixons are beautiful!! So, have the Srixons bent to the Hogan specs... with a couple caveats.

The Srixons are longer. Make certain the person bending the clubs knows this and compensates accordingly. There's a formula where something like 1/4" of added length requires 0.5 degree flatter lie. (With the same stance, a longer club will be farther from your body... farther from your toes. As the club 'slides' away, the toe comes up. Hence, to maintain the same flange to ground angle, the lie must be flattened accordingly.)

Once you have the lies where they belong, bend the Srixons a couple of degrees strong. As you strengthen the lofts, you reduce the bounce. So, your dynamic bounce will become more similar to the Hogans and you shouldn't have the difficulty of feeling the clubs are "bouncing off the turf".

Personally, I would do this in a two-step procedure. I would change the lie angle first. A 1" long club with a 1.5 degree upright... if that upright is from 'standard'... is reeeeaaaalllly upright. You may be compensating for the extreme upright lie and that's what is making the bounce seem awkward. Once the lie angle more reflects the Hogan lie.... play a couple of rounds. If the bounce is still a problem, then you can adjust that.

Or.... if you really want new clubs...... (pssssst. Send me those Srixons. I'll take 'good' care of them until you're ready to put them back in your bag!!!)

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I just got back from checking out the ZB's. Yes they are gorgeous, to an extent. In person they actually lose a bit of their allure. The top line is actually thicker than my Srixon's. I took my Srixon and Hogan 5 irons, and hit the ZB 5 iron along side them. I couldn't tell a hill of beans difference between the ZB's and my Srixon's. The sole's are almost identical, and like I said, the top line is a little thicker on the Titty's.

The owner of the shop then suggested basically what you said Limpalong. Have my lie checked and re-adjusted if needed. Gotta love small shops, a big box store would have made me believe the Titty's were the answer to all my needs and problems. But this guy told me to stick with what I've got.

Then I made the mistake of picking up a TM RAC's, wow, simple yet classy look. Rife Flighted 6 shafts, stand length and lie. I took it into the hitting booth. Rut roh Raggey, thin top line and sole, small/midsize head, very confidence inspiring at address. damn they felt good hitting them. I hit probably 20 balls, every one dead on the screws. Great launch, smooth feel, damn I want these things. Am I good enough to actually game a set of blades? Probably not, will I? Maybe? :D

I'd love to be able to demo a set, actually hit them off grass instead of a mat. But sadly, none of the shops around here seem to do that. So for now I guess I'm going to have the length and lie checked and probably adjusted to fit my swing better now and see how that works out.

So I guess I'm not ready to take the peeble from your hand oh Master Ho, I am but a mere grasshopper still, :laugh:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
mddubya,

Which TM RACs did you use? The muscleback bades? They are indeed sweet to hit. I'm no good for them, but when I hit 'em.. Wow.

In any case, if you haven't gotten something by then, I'll bring both sets of my RAC TP's. Players cavities, and the muscle back blades for you to hit off the grass and use in TN.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
mddubya,

Which TM RACs did you use? The muscleback bades? They are indeed sweet to hit. I'm no good for them, but when I hit 'em.. Wow.

In any case, if you haven't gotten something by then, I'll bring both sets of my RAC TP's. Players cavities, and the muscle back blades for you to hit off the grass and use in TN.

I was hitting the MB's, and oh wow, they are suhweeeeetttttttt. I was hitting them off the mat of course, but yeah, bring them to Tn. I'd love to hit them off grass.

🔥 Latest posts