• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons advice

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
My father-in-law is going to get some new irons soon. He is in his early 60s and currently uses some really cheap, pretty average old clubs. (Howsons)

He plays golf pretty well though, he has some real talent and is an excellent short gamer but struggles with getting much height with anything longer than a 7 iron now after breaking his collarbone a while back. This has restricted his swing slightly and he always hits very low shots due to this.

I am trying to help him pick a few sets to try out - he seems keen on CallawayX-20s but has yet to try them. I think that a set of 5-PW Wishon 752TCs would be great for him but he will have problems finding a set to demo. He will get a fitting session when we go and hit some different sets.

How about shafts? Do you thing reg steel will be ok or do you think its time for some graphites or senior flex?

Any help/tips etc would be most welcome as I'd love to see him enjoy his golf over the next few years and I think it's important that he gets all his specs sorted as well as possible.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Mizzy MX-950's great set for him. Hybrid long iron's hollow high launching mid irons and forged short irons for his demon short game. Mizuno
Or if he's not a fan of the hybrid then Ping G2's with the 'HL' option on 3-5 iron would be the next option to try.

As for shafts what ever the pro thinks!!!

CincyRon

Dec 26, 2007
As far as shafts go. Get his speed checked. As far as clubs go, see if there is a way to demo the Nickent 3DX hybrid Iron set. I love mine and they are long and forgiving. Best part they don't break the bank.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Look at graphite shafts in regular or senior flex, and obviously a cavity back with a wide sole will help him enormously, I assume his restricted swing will mean he has relatively low swing speed.

Probably best to look at a set that allows you to spec 6-pw, then get hybrids for the rest. As for the driver, a 13 degree with offset in senior flex and then a 4 wood at about 17 degrees, then the 3 hybrids, probably 21, 24 and 28, assuming the six iron is about 31 degrees

all the above can be checked on a monitor, but at over 60 with a restricted swing its likely he will benefit form graphite shafts in his irons

wedges and putter to taste:)

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Cheers guys - I think he would like to have a 5 iron in his bag + 2 hybrids. He hits his driver and 3 wood pretty well so not looking at changing those.

He plays off 15 on a pretty tough course so he's not a duffer by any means and I'd give my right arm for his short game - although I do spy him looking my shots checking up sharply with some bemusement - I think he'd love some forged irons that would allow him to do the same.

I was thinking along the lines of Mizzy MX25s and Hogan Edge Pros for him. He is a good player and will no trouble with either.

He is also a lefty so the choice is going to be a little restricted for demoing.

Thx so far and any more ideas are welcome.

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
His break was a bad one - multiple fractures after being knocked off his bicycle by a car that didn't stop at a junction. Could have been far worse but it was still a fair old time recovering and getting the strength back.

Is there really a need to put a :) after every single post?

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
My father-in-law is going to get some new irons soon. He is in his early 60s and currently uses some really cheap, pretty average old clubs. (Howsons)

He plays golf pretty well though, he has some real talent and is an excellent short gamer but struggles with getting much height with anything longer than a 7 iron now after breaking his collarbone a while back. This has restricted his swing slightly and he always hits very low shots due to this.

I am trying to help him pick a few sets to try out - he seems keen on CallawayX-20s but has yet to try them. I think that a set of 5-PW Wishon 752TCs would be great for him but he will have problems finding a set to demo. He will get a fitting session when we go and hit some different sets.

How about shafts? Do you thing reg steel will be ok or do you think its time for some graphites or senior flex? What happened to players going to their local pro for information?

Any help/tips etc would be most welcome as I'd love to see him enjoy his golf over the next few years and I think it's important that he gets all his specs sorted as well as possible.
Best advice I can give is for him to go see this local pro and not take advice from a forum web site:real angry:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Some advice on here will be right, a lot of advice from many pros will be wrong. ie here is a launch monitor and oh look, you need standard loft and lies and regular shafts which means you are in luck, we have some of those in the shop for a billion dollars.

There is nothing wrong with advice given on forums, as long as its qualified. I just took some advcie from Tom Wishon on his forum, and this lead me to Dan Connelly and his web fitting service. I bet there are few pros who know half as much about clubs as those 2, and they post on forums. As does Tim Hewitt in here, and Indacup, and of course the mad Canadian they call the Lyle, a very knowledgable and helpful chap, as they all are.

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Some advice on here will be right, a lot of advice from many pros will be wrong. ie here is a launch monitor and oh look, you need standard loft and lies and regular shafts which means you are in luck, we have some of those in the shop for a billion dollars.

There is nothing wrong with advice given on forums, as long as its qualified. I just took some advcie from Tom Wishon on his forum, and this lead me to Dan Connelly and his web fitting service. I bet there are few pros who know half as much about clubs as those 2, and they post on forums. As does Tim Hewitt in here, and Indacup, and of course the mad Canadian they call the Lyle, a very knowledgable and helpful chap, as they all are.
your right,I'm wrong:(

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am right sometimes:)

Bascially, unless the pro knows what he is doing and has a launch monitor, you might as well go online

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.