• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons, and Fairway woods oh my!

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Its that time, i got the itch. Im looking for a set of irons to replace my cobra 3100's, good irons but really not the best feel and hard to work. I kind of want mizunos, possibly mp30s or mp60s, im not sure. I want something i can work, but not a blade, i dont really need to be unconfident about a 150 yard approach shot :). I strike the ball pretty well, i dont have a handicap but i have posted scores in the high 60's low 70's on some of my better days. I hear the mp30's arent super easy to hit for being CB, but i think i can handle them. Im open to any suggestions or any offers on used clubs. Next, I want a 3 wood. I have never had one that i was confident in hitting, im thinking of a Hibore maybe, i want something easy to hit off the deck. Any thoughts?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
MP 60's are nice but not exactly the most forgiving CB. Don't count out other brands. 690CB's are very nice too. As far as a 3W, none are all that easy to hit off the deck. In 3 years of playing I've only once pured one off the deck dead straight, hitting the green on a par 5. I've taken a few mightly whacks that turned out good to get back on track after a horrid tee shot, but only one great one. I'm going to a 4W for next year. Lose a little off the tee but gain the easier striking off the deck.

I'm all for less forgiviness/more workability in the irons. There are shots you just can't hit with a game impovement iron.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm considering the HiBore 3-wood also. Has to be a top choice with the right shaft. I usually don't have too much trouble hitting them off the deck but making them go in the direction I want is another story. :D

Irons? Well, I'll stay with my Pings. Wished I would have got the i5's instead of the G5's though. I've got a MX-23 6-iron I bought to try them and still haven't hit it. One of these days....

:)

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
the 3100's are the middle ground between the 2300 "players irons" and the 3400 GI irons. The 3100's are forgiving, you wont miss more then 5-10 yards on a miss hit, and they can work either way with a little bit of exageration. Good irons, helped me bring me to the level im at, i just think its time for some players irons.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Try out some Titty 690CBs, as Ezra said, some MP60s I'd say, maybe even an MP67. Also think about Clevelend irons, I've heard some of their, "cavity blade" style irons are very nice.

Also, since you like Cobra, try their Forged CBs.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.