• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons are short

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm hitting my driver well. Getting it out there about 250 ish. I normally knock a 6 iron about 165 yards. I have the R7 TPs with Rifle 5.5 shafts. Over the last 12 months I feel that I have lost ~10 yards with each iron. It should't bother me as the strike and flight feel and look fine. But I'm now 1-2 clubs behind my peers, yet up with them with the driver.

Should I consider a flex change to 5.0s or regular? I feel that I am on the fence between flexes. Maybe I should just consider new irons?

Or should I man up and hit the Gym? I had surgery in January. But like I said my driver distance is decent, it's just the irons.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
IG

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I'm hitting my driver well. Getting it out there about 250 ish. I normally knock a 6 iron about 165 yards. I have the R7 TPs with Rifle 5.5 shafts. Over the last 12 months I feel that I have lost ~10 yards with each iron. It should't bother me as the strike and flight feel and look fine. But I'm now 1-2 clubs behind my peers, yet up with them with the driver.

Should I consider a flex change to 5.0s or regular? I feel that I am on the fence between flexes. Maybe I should just consider new irons?

Or should I man up and hit the Gym? I had surgery in January. But like I said my driver distance is decent, it's just the irons.

IG
Admit you're getting old and accept your shortcomings! ;)

See if you can find a demo set of your irons with less stiff shafts, or borrow a friend's iron if someone plays them, or hit ebay and pick up a shaft and a head to build 1 club (shouldn't be a ton of money). Whichever way, play them against each other and see what happens.

I know around here the box stores will loan out a set on trial, but not sure if that's an option where you are.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
M,

I hit a 7 iron around 165 and consider myself "short" based on my playing partners.

At the end of the day, a club's distance length really has no bearing on score. Which is why i don't care that I can't hit my PW 160 like my playing partners can. I'll take a 73 vs their 86 any day of the week.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm with Rock, I wouldn't be too concerned with your iron distances. It really doesn't matter what number is on the bottom of your iron.

If it really does bother you, go ahead and hit the gym. I typically work out a lot more in the off season, but then I quit when the weather gets good in the spring because I want to dial in my yardages. If you do some work with your core strength and your flexibility, you will see a difference. I like to use a medicine ball...hold it in front of you and bring it back like you would a club then turn and throw it into a wall, kind of like swinging a club. I also like using a weighted club. The last thing I would do is buy new equipment, if all you're looking for is distance. Just my take on it. IDK, a weaker flex shaft may be the ticket to gaining a couple of yards...but it would certainly do us all some good to work out a little bit more.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Last two rounds have been decent (+5,+4) so happy with my overall game. Just curious as to why I am keeping up with the big boys with the driver but seem so far behind with the irons. Maybe I'm just getting old. But hope springs eternal. I'm going to try and get hold of a demo iron with a regular.

Also I checked out the medicine ball video attached. Is this the type of exercise you mean GA? Golf Fitness, Golf Training, Golf Exercises | SeanCochran.com

Any more fitness / strengthening links? Thanks guys.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
That's the exercise IG, although I do it standing up. Also, I bought a 12" I-bolt and I put a piece of PVC over it with washers and nut. I attach it to my pull down machine. I hold it similar to a club and I do a few different work-outs with it...mainly for strength not speed, with deep rough in mind. I have to work-out though, I sit at a desk all day, unlike my buddies who work in construction.

Again though, you really shouldn't compare your distances with your buddies because technique is a big factor in how far you hit your irons. Like the difference between a picker and a digger or person who hits a fade vs. a draw. These differences can be less apparent with a driver. We have these same examples in our foursome. I am the longest with irons but 3 of us are all almost identical in driving distance even though we totally different shot shapes.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

IG

IG, I'd be interested in what a trusted teaching pro would have to say. If you were hitting them longer before the recent hip operations, I think that would have a large part to do with. Btw, your iron striking was sweet when we played. No problems in getting the club face square at impact.

Members online

No members online now.