• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons for low-mid handicap

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'm out of ideas. i definitely don't really want anything to do with blades, that includes progressive sets that end with blades in the short irons.

they don't have to be forged, something that just looks good at address i.e. small topline. smaller cavity, a players cavity, something with some game to it, yet that won't punish mishits to the max

just throw out models. i can tell you now no ping or callaway, sorry, just bad experiences...., i'll even look at clones or components so mention those if you think they're worth mentioning.

thanks

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Check out these.

Made out of 304 steel (softer than tradional cast 431, but not as soft as forged carbon steel), thinner top line than most of today's modern irons, and kind of a combination cavity back/muscle back to provide some forgiveness but reatain the extra weight behind the sweet spot for extra distance.

They are designed for mid to low handicappers so there is a moderate amount of forgiveness and a moderate amount of workability. I have a set sitting in the garage still waiting to be assembled once I can finalize what swing weight works best for my swing.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Mizuno Mp-30 cavity back.

MacGregor 1025.

Cobra SS forged.

Armour V-25 forged.

TM 300 forged.

A group of 5 lessons and keep your current irons.

Any of the above would satisfy your needs.

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
anyone perchance have any experience with the adams tight lies GT tour? saw these in Watson's bag back when i watched him play. they look sweet. looking at a set on Ebay new for $130 if i "buy it now" maybe less if i choose to go the bidding war route. regular shafts though, i'd reshaft them for that price.

i've had too many bad experiences with lessons, i'll leave it at that...

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
All adams clubs i have ever touched have been great. i have an older set of Adams irons and they are fine i would imagine these new one will be even better.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Youngun5 said:
i've had too many bad experiences with lessons, i'll leave it at that...

I find this impossible to beleive if you have a good teacher. There are plenty around.

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
here's the part where i say that the teacher's were no good....

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Titleist 735.CM. Check 'em out.

I was at Golfsmith today. I have lust in my heart...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Check out the new Nike Pro-combo's. Unlike the name suggest they are a forged cavity all the way through, no blades. They have a midsize head slim top line, great feel. I've got the originals and love them, friend of mine got the new one's and the've transformed his game. They are forgiving but because there forged you get feedback when you put a bad swing on it. Worth a look?

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Younggun- i have a set of the Tight Lies GT's, they're alright, but i cant really tell because they're too flat for me. I'd say Cobra SS Forged. They're cheap, forgiving, good looking, forged, and everything else. I'm playing X-14 pro's, despite my aversion to Callaway, because they just are that damn good. That, and they're 2 degrees upright, which works well for me. By saying no to clubs just by brand name, you mightr be eliminating the perfect match for your game. I'm not a fan of shovels, but Callaway's work if they fit

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i didn't know that manchester... they do look really sharp, i always liked the old ones, but the blade short irons just always sucked for me. if they're a mid cavity all the way through i might have to take a second glance at them.

sherman, 70% of my buying clubs is looks at address, i'm a feel player and if i don't feel good about a shot at address then i'm doomed from the start. its a mindblower that blades didn't work out for me, but i'm just not good enough. i'm basically playing shovels now, and the looks are getting to me. i just need something with a good clean square look that will make me comfortable enough to give me the confidence going into every shot. kinda hard maybe to understand by someone else, but thats how it goes.
never have liked the look of callaway or ping irons so i don't even bother with them anymore.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
YG-i'm EXACTLY the same way. But what i've found is that you can adjust after a while. I really liked the look of Cleveland TA3's, but they just didnt perform. The SS Forged looked really nice, but my swing necessitates upright irons, and i didnt feel like i had the game to play my pro combos this early in the season. So i shoved the Callaway's in the bag, and they looked fugly, but now i dont mind em, and im really striking the ball well. The SS Forged won't disappoint you, and the DCI 990'S aren't bad either. The Tight Lies Tour are nice, but the pitching wedge is a little funky looking. If you have the dough, go for Cally X-Tours. Rac LT's are nice too, but i havent read spectacular things about them. I still like my X-14Pros, but if you really just couldnt look at those, id say SS Forged

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
TA-3, TM 300, RAC TP, MP-32, M-60, MP-30, 1025 C or 1025 M

I play the latter but would have no problem playing any of the above

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
wirehair said:
Titleist 735.CM. Check 'em out.

I was at Golfsmith today. I have lust in my heart...

I thought you were in enough trouble over the Camerons........:D

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
ualtim said:
I thought you were in enough trouble over the Camerons........:D

It's OK, she's only noticing Putters because they're on display in my very own room :) (after the 3rd son moved out). Irons are in the bag in the closet. I can't play 735's anyway, but my 822's are getting beat up a bit.

Back on thread (sorta).

Cobra 3100's..anyone played 'em?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.