• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons Need Grips

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The S59 irons I have are needing new grips. They currently have Ping full cords but the rubber is getting slick. I think I'm putting the Sharpro equivalent to GP Decades on them, maybe the white ones.

Anything better?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've got the Winn PCI TL's on a few clubs now... absolutely LOVE those grips. Nice and firm feel of cord but the "tackiness" of Winn that I like.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I've got the Winn PCI TL's on a few clubs now... absolutely LOVE those grips. Nice and firm feel of cord but the "tackiness" of Winn that I like.

interesting slick. I have the Winn PCI TL on the driver and it felt a little too mushy. I felt the Winn Xi7's were firmer.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I just put the Sharpro grips on my irons. They are awesome. For the price you can get them on Ebay you honestly can not beat them. Just my $0.02.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
J, Try TGW for the white dual compound Sharpro's. They're $3.15 a grip which I think beats the e-bay price. They just got them, I've had a set on order for a few weeks that just shipped yesterday.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks EddieC. Just ordered them although it said they were backordered for 5/30. Either way, they are the only place I could find that handled the black/white ones (other then LyleG). :)

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Are you sure the grips are worn out and not just slick from your skin oils and acids? Those grips don't have that many rounds on them do they (like less than 100)?

I clean my grips pretty religiously and a set of Tour Velvets (which are pretty soft) will last me two seasons or more before the rubber actually starts to wear out.

You might try this trick on your current grips -- get some Westley's Bleche White from an auto parts store. Wally World may even have it. It's a tire cleaner and works great to restore grips. Spray the grips and let it soak in a bit. Keep it off the clubhead as it may damage the paint. Scrub with a nylon bristle brush and rinse thoroughly in warm water.

I've done this to several sets of slick, hard rubber grips and restored them to almost new condition. Very soft and tacky. If you like your current grips you may want to give it a shot.

Mini-rant... people should clean their grips more. Skin oils and acids are what makes the grips slick and hardens the rubber. If you just clean your grips every few rounds they will last a lot longer. The rubber itself is actually pretty tough stuff and doesn't wear out all that quickly as long as you keep the oils, acids and general grunge off them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
These clubs were bought used from Global. They need new grips. I've been playing for 40 years so have learned when they are slick and need replacing. I do clean my grips with soap and water but have to try your recommendations. Sounds great. The only thing saving me now is the cords. And I want to try a different grip anyway... :D

Now after all that time golfing I really should be much better at it... :(

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I just put the Sharpro grips on my irons. They are awesome. For the price you can get them on Ebay you honestly can not beat them. Just my $0.02.

You are liking the Sharpros? I think I had problems b/c I don't wear a glove perhaps? I shredded them in no time so I went back to GP Tour Velvets which get stickier with use which I like. Just didn't like the Sharpros longevity. I regrip 2x a year, but the Sharpros were maybe3 months and history. Might try them again....maybe a bad batch?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've put Sharpros on drivers before and also Decades. The Sharpros are just as good. I think this basic design (different materials) lends itself to faster wear but I haven't yet seen it on the clubs I've used these on. I love this type of grip though.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Thanks EddieC. Just ordered them although it said they were backordered for 5/30. Either way, they are the only place I could find that handled the black/white ones (other then LyleG). :)

You're welcome, they must get an order in about every 30 days. Mine were backordered as well. You could get any other color though. Mine arrive tomorrow and shipped on the actual date that they said they would.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I've put Sharpros on drivers before and also Decades. The Sharpros are just as good. I think this basic design (different materials) lends itself to faster wear but I haven't yet seen it on the clubs I've used these on. I love this type of grip though.

You will notice the lower portion of the grip (the non corded part) wear faster than the corded part. If you are coming from cords you might find these a little soft. They are popular grips tho, I'm sure you'll like them

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've used the Decades since they came out and are the best grips I've found. (Used to like the Tour Velvet Cords). But at that price I've been using Sharpro and see no difference other then half the price. These have always been on drivers or fairway woods. I'm just now going to try them on the irons.

🔥 Latest posts