• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons....sigh....I don't know....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So, for years I played Hogan clubs. I started with the Apex Edge Pro's then went to the Apex FTX and finally shot some of my best rounds with Hogan Apex blades. Those were sweet around the green btw. Summer of 2010, I pretty much sold all my golf equipment and haven't played since. Now I am starting to get the itch again.

I need irons. It seems like the cost of used clubs has gone way up since I last looked seriously. I was planning on just getting another set of FTX's, but they are getting scarce. Golfsmith has some nice prices on Mizuno sticks too, leaning towards the older MP-30's but also looking at the MP-60's. As you can guess, I like forged clubs with a thinner topline, nothing to shovel looking. I also looked at Ping I3 blades (funny name for a club that is not really a blade).

Really, just looking for suggestions or thoughts. How sweet are Mizuno irons really? Is there another line I should be considering? COmponents?

Thanks!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I played the Mizuno MX-23's for a while back when I was ho'ing irons and they were excellent clubs. Forged, but still had some GI properties that made them work for my game. Based on that, I would definitely recommend you looking at Mizuno.

I also played some Bridgestone J33's, again forged. These were great irons as well. Made me gain a lot of respect for Bridgestone as a club maker.

I'd suggest you look into both of these brands. Can't tell you what irons are best for your game, but I can tell you they make good, quality irons.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I played the Mizuno MX-23's for a while back when I was ho'ing irons and they were excellent clubs. Forged, but still had some GI properties that made them work for my game. Based on that, I would definitely recommend you looking at Mizuno.

I also played some Bridgestone J33's, again forged. These were great irons as well. Made me gain a lot of respect for Bridgestone as a club maker.

I'd suggest you look into both of these brands. Can't tell you what irons are best for your game, but I can tell you they make good, quality irons.

Thanks MC, really just looking for suggestions to test. I hadn't thought of the MX-23's but will check them out.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I got those Ping S59's for sale. They have a thin top line and a smaller head. Being Ping they are not forged. They are like 1* upright w/ midsize Lamkins. They are pretty nice just not the club for me... I keep going back to W/S. Which by the way, the older Ci's and Pi's are going fora pretty good price point on the bay. If you have any interest in the Pings at all the pics and what not are in the classifieds. I might even be willing to let them go for the right driver.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I got those Ping S59's for sale. They have a thin top line and a smaller head. Being Ping they are not forged. They are like 1* upright w/ midsize Lamkins. They are pretty nice just not the club for me... I keep going back to W/S. Which by the way, the older Ci's and Pi's are going fora pretty good price point on the bay. If you have any interest in the Pings at all the pics and what not are in the classifieds. I might even be willing to let them go for the right driver.

Well, the only driver I have at the moment is the Maltby in my sig with the Okato. Although I do have a G10 with a diamana on the way, 10.5* w/ 63g blueboard. What was the asking price on the Irons again?

Anybody have any idea what the hosel size is on the MX-23's? I went to golfworks and they said the Steel shafted ones have .355 and the graphite shafted ones have .370, does that make sense?

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think I have them @ 160 shipped. They haven't sold yet so that's negotiable.

Let me give it some thought, I hadn't really looked much at Ping other than the I3's which I have eyed for a few years now.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
nu's Pings are a good buy... if they suit your eye. Great clubs!!! Other than that, check out Callaway's Preowned site. They have some bargains on a regular basis. If I were lookin', I'd jump on the Pings. If they were not available, I'd probably pick up something off Callaway Preowned. Have had excellent service from them on a couple of items I've purchased there.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Let me give it some thought, I hadn't really looked much at Ping other than the I3's which I have eyed for a few years now.

They are the first in the S series... I think they are right after the I3blades. They are more of a blade though. Smaller heads and all that. Like I said, the pics are in my thread in classifieds with the other details. If you want any pics from address or whatever let me know.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Aren't those the S59's that WBL had for a season or two? He hit 'em well. One of my son-in-laws plays S59's. He's not a very accomplished player, but hits the snot out of those Pings. He went from a set of Cobra GI irons to the S59's and improved quite a bit. (Part of that improvement was having the Pings much better fit to his physical profile and swing dynamics.)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Got MP 30s several years ago.

Got MP 57s two years ago, then quickly upgraded to the most beautiful club I've ever seen, the MP 58.

There's just no reason I can fathom to play any other iron. I wouldn't say nothing feels as good, but I would believe that nothing feels better. I hit several pure shots today, including one that was shaped significantly and so perfectly-- truly the best golf shot I've ever hit. 40 yard draw around a tree to a back pin from 180 yards away. Finished 10 feet from the hole.

Now surely, the club is only part of the equation, but I really cherish these things because they deserve to be cherished. Play what you love.

Bridgestone j36 irons have been inexpensive ans awesome looking. I'd give them a shot, but on their best day they're not beating what I have.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I play MX-200, a game improvement club by Mizuno... so you don't need a players iron to score. In fact I recent years as I improved I went from MacGregor blade, to MP-30, to MP-60, to MX-200. Reverse progression.

...and I could probably take money from most on the golf course ;-)

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I play MX-200, a game improvement club by Mizuno... so you don't need a players iron to score. In fact I recent years as I improved I went from MacGregor blade, to MP-30, to MP-60, to MX-200. Reverse progression.

...and I could probably take money from most on the golf course ;-)

How do they look from address? Do they have a thick topline?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Well??? I don't care if you buy mine or not I just want you to be set with some damned irons so you can play some damn golf already! Plus I want to read about a ho other than myself.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.