• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Irons

jho786

Aug 9, 2006
I am looking for a new set of irons but dont know which ones to get. I am a 7.8 handicap with a lot of distance. I hit my 9 iron 150 yards and have gotten the 7 iron to go 200. With that in mind I am looking at Titleist, Mizuno and the Callaway X-Tour forged irons. My question is can anyone give me info on any of these irons?

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
jho786 said:
I am looking for a new set of irons but dont know which ones to get. I am a 7.8 handicap with a lot of distance. I hit my 9 iron 150 yards and have gotten the 7 iron to go 200. With that in mind I am looking at Titleist, Mizuno and the Callaway X-Tour forged irons. My question is can anyone give me info on any of these irons?
Are you sure you're 7.8 handi? I would imagine someone with that skill level would know what he/she needs for their swing. But just in case you didn't, you really can't go wrong with the all choices you've indicated. What exactly are you looking for with your new irons? forgiveness? accuracy/control? need to be more specific.

OP
jho786

jho786

Aug 9, 2006
atlgolfer said:
Are you sure you're 7.8 handi? I would imagine someone with that skill level would know what he/she needs for their swing. But just in case you didn't, you really can't go wrong with the all choices you've indicated. What exactly are you looking for with your new irons? forgiveness? accuracy/control? need to be more specific.

I am asking this question because this is going to be my first forged set (im 20 years old) and I want feedback from people who play these irons. I know what I need for my swing I just want to know what the clubs are like in your opinion. I am looking for accuracy and control. I am able to shape shots and I need that with these irons. I am leaning towards Mizuno but dont know which model.

AccuFLEX

Aug 8, 2006
jho786 said:

I am big on Custom Fit, and I have played these before and found for the money, they were very nice. Also Miura makes a great set of forged irons, but they are very expensive.

Best of luck with your search.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
At 7.8 I'd say get something that's a cavity blade. Cobra has a good selected, their Forged CBs are nice.

As far as distance with irons it's never really been a concern of mine nor should it be, irons=approach shot=accuracy>distance.

But, bottom line, demo them if you can. And at worst find someplace with a launch monitor and see what they can do(I'm skeptical about launch monitors in an enclosed area, you still aren't 100% sure to me).

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
I had Clevelands before switching to my Mizuno's (which I love) but I'd look at some of the Cobra irons too!:miz:

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i just purchased some forged cb's from diamondtour golf online.

my regular clubs were nike slingshots. i like them, but had improved to where i found myself trying to move the ball, and the clubs seemed to get in the way.

the slingshots are good clubs, but they gave me way too much loft. also, the temperature of the face differs from club to club. in other words, the ball literally leaps off the PW, but not nearly so with the 9 and others. some people may like this but i do not.

with the forged cb's, i encountered something i wasn't prepared for; dead on accuracy when chipping and pitching. i can't count on two hands the number of flag sticks i've hit since last week. i could never do that with the old irons.

when i can i pitch with a 7 iron, and chip with it as well. the club loft just seems to fit my swing so well that i can really control it. with these new cb's and their inherent accuracy, that has moved to a new level.

these clubs carry the name "henry hatton". they are not name brand, but the informed golfers at my club really like them. their finish is very nice.

also, i should mention that i've just completed my first year playing golf. with these forged cb's i can check the ball on the green with the same shot, that before, would have rolled no telling how far. for example, i can punch a 7 from 100 yards, and when it hits the green it will bounce slightly and either fall straight down or spin backwards, depending on the type of swing.

you can pick up a set for about $250.

good luck with your choice. i hope to approach your handicap someday.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
VtDivot said:
MP-60's are all the club you'll ever need. :miz:

DITTO - see my recent post in Equipment Reviews!

Jacque

Aug 24, 2006
mizuno = happiness

go with some 32, 33 or 37's....blades don't let you make bad swings or so i have heard....at 7.8 you should be able to slap a set of these on and then see if you really are a shot maker.....:miz:

btw...new low round for me....47, this (video) game is to easy.....:beach3:

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
jho,

if you're looking for control/accuracy from the mizuno line, i would recommend any of the mp series. you really can't go wrong. you can go with the slight CB irons like the mp30 & mp60 or as someone suggested go with the MP 32/33/37 or some older model blades. I've hit my friend's x-tours and I'm not impressed with the feeling/looks (topline still too thick).

Well, whatever you decide to go with, good luck and if you're like rest of us, I'm sure you'll be asking the same questions next year.

philfest

Sep 20, 2007

Why would you insult him like that by asking him if he's sure he's a 7.8?

Even if he lied, which I don't see why he would, he's asking a question.

Just answer the damn thing or don't!

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Whatever you look at, I would suggest that they be forged. Better feel and feedback for a single digit player.

🔥 Latest posts