• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is golf a sport?

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
My uncle visted us from oregon a couple days ago and asked me what sports i'm playing now, i said golf, and he said no golf isnt a sport you cant work up a sweat playing golf. I dont really remeber what i said but i consider myself an athlete, i've played jsut about every sport out there, soccer, football, tennis, wrestling, basketball, swimming lacrosse, hockey, and now all i play is golf (hardest to master of them all, and im nowhere near mastering it). For my own egos sake i have to consider golf a sport so i can call myself an athlete. To back it up i call a sport an activity which requires mental and physical skill in some sort of fashion. Golf has both of those, physical-its almost all hand-eye coorinadition, mental-you know the mental side of the game (i dont really understand it that well). Anyway every sport i can think of requires those things and golf is one of them.

So, do you guys consider golf a sport and why?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I comletely dissagree with not calling something a sport if you dont work up a sweat? So to him, a very fat man's walk to the fridge is now a sport?

I consider it a sport by 1. Like you, physical and mental skill in a fair degree (golf is definately both); 2. If you can gain an advantage at it from being in better shape (ie being a better athlete); 3. If you can take money off other egotistic ppl who suck at it:D

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
If its not a sport, then what is it?

at an elite level, players are highly competitive, highly paid and highly skilled.. sounds like any other professional sport to me

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Yes, golf is a sport, but not all of the golfers I know would fit the definition of "athlete". The pros all qualify, IMO, because anyone who can walk 18 holes, 4 days in a row, in 90 degree heat with 95% humidity, and STILL play the kind of golf they play is an athlete, regardless of his physical appearance. :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
YAY!!!!!!!!! CYPRESS MADE A SHORT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FORYOU MAN! I DIDNT THINK YOU HAD IT IN YOU!!!!!!

:D

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Golf is a sport because you can keep score and have to be physically active while doing it, figure skating is not a sport, because judges rate you for a score, same with diving and gymnastics. I am not saying you don't have to be in good shape to perticipate in those activities but they are not sports.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
From Merriam-Webster...
Main Entry: 2sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

A source of diversion?? Certainly! This game diverts, or separates, me from common sense, sanity, any semblence of maturity!! It is an evil game which, certainly, is a diversion from the rigors of daily life.

Physical activity engaged in for pleasure?? Pleasure??? Pleasure???

And that "b" definition... I've heard stories about some of those goings on observed on the course....

Yes, I'd say by Webster's definition, golf IS a sport!!!!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
YAY!!!!!!!!! CYPRESS MADE A SHORT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD FORYOU MAN! I DIDNT THINK YOU HAD IT IN YOU!!!!!!

:D

Cypress does a very good job at making sure not just to say what he wants, but to do so in a nature that is understood. Probably the teacher in him.

Whether it requires 3 words or 300. In this case I think 3 was sufficient. The skillful part is knowing when you have said enough.

I just only hope some day my babbling will be construed at that level of understanding, and I will someday know when I have said enough. :)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I prefer a slightly different definition.

I think anything that you can get better at when you drink should be considered a game and not a sport. So, for me, the front 9 is a sport and the back 9 is a game. :D

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
You do not work up a sweat in swimming or water polo either.

EDSGolf

Aug 24, 2005
Referring to the Pros, walking 4 rounds in a row (plus Pro Ams, etc) in sometimes extreme heat takes a big toll on the body, I definitely consider it a sport.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Just a general rule (there are probably many exceptions) if you are meant to change your footwear to play it, its a sport.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.