• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it worth re-shafting irons?

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Ok, now i will start by sayin i am not a great golfer where the smaller details make a BIG difference. Like, i dont have "a ball" i play for example. Last summer, I (somewhat impulsively) bought a set of cobra FP irons. I got a pretty good deal on them. I hit them and they were a far cry from the 8yr old irons i was hitting. So I was sold. However I hadn't researched at all, and I have been doing a lot of that for a driver purchase. It has led me to realize i never evaluated the shaft/flex of my irons. I've found I tend to hit a Regular flex driver much better then a stiff. I then thought, hmm i wonder what flex my irons are. Well they are steel shafts and stiff. I was wondering if at the price it would be of descent shafts/installation, it be worth re-shafting these? Also would it possibly improve my irons play. Right now i can hit the ball relatively straight, when I follow the basics of golf, i.e. keep my dang head down! However even when i feel like i hit it as flush and full of a swing as i can, i just don't have a lot of distance. Would a graphite/regular flex help in that area, and be beneficial enough to spend the $$$ on. I know there is a lot of variable, but in general.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Primarily it all depends on your swing speed and transition. And what you are looking for out of your irons. Playing a stiff when you don't really need it will cause you to lose some distance, but you will gain accuracy in the trade off. If you are wanting a higher ball flight, then yes, dropping down to a regular flex will probably help.

I'd suggest going and having you swing speed checked, try a few regular flex irons and see how they feel to you.

I'm not sure what you paid for your Cobra's, but unless you find some used shafts, it might be cheaper to find another set in regular flex?

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea thats what i was kinda wondering. If itd be better just to sell these and buy ones with regular. unfortunately lose some $ i'm sure. Maybe i'll try to get some good ideas for shafts (brand/model) to look for, and when i go to this golf show in a couple weeks they can speed-test me there, and I can try to have some prices for shafts already written down to compare at the show. SUPPOSED to be good deals there, we'll see.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Unless you have the ability to reshaft them yourself, or have a friend who can do it, by the time you buy the new shafts, and pay a shop to swap them, it could get pricey.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea i think i will just stick with these then. It's not that i cant use them, iron play has improved a lot since having them. Why i wondered if it was worth it. Anyhow, i need either a 3 or 5 wood, or maybe a hybrid. haha.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Half my family hails from Davison, and I lived in Imlay City for a while...

The only course I remember over there is Lum International, I think it was called.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Ah yea real close. I'll think about it with the iron shafts. I'm not sure if i should REALLY worry about it at the moment. Probably not my problem, haha.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.