• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is my Driver shaft to stiff???

Jsaw

May 29, 2005
I had the stiff Mid Kick Mitsubishi Nike Stock Shaft in my Nike SQ but it seemed to be really whippy, so had a stiff Mid Kick Proforce V2 shaft put in and now I hit this unbelievable hook. I can definitely tell the Proforce V2 is stiffer than the Stock Shaft but I'm wondering if it is too stiff. Anyway what I need to know is a shaft that is too stiff for my swing speed will that promote a major hook??

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
whats you SS and do you have a slow, or a quick tempo/transition from backswing to foreswing?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
yes, too stiff a shaft is a major factor in a snap type hook. Its late and I will respond more tomorrow.

OP
J

Jsaw

May 29, 2005
The thing is I went to Golfsmith and hit from the Launch Monitor. The guy said my swing speed ranged from 91mph to 94mph. I told him I normally hit them pretty high, so he said according to what I see here (the launch monitor session) he recommended the mid kick, 66 gram stiff Proforce V2. After that I was pumped because I thought I had the perfect shaft for my swing and now all I do is hit these unbelievable hooks off the tee.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
At 91-94mph a stiff V2 is going to be way to much shaft for you.
Those numbers fall dead in the middle of the "R" flex range for that shaft. If your tempo and transition are both smooth (which most slower swingers are) I wouldnt recommend that shaft at all for you. You would be far better served with a shaft that has a softer tip like the Graphite Design YS-6+, the Aldila NVS or a Grafalloy Pro Launch.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
At 91-94mph a stiff V2 is going to be way to much shaft for you.
Those numbers fall dead in the middle of the "R" flex range for that shaft. If your tempo and transition are both smooth (which most slower swingers are) I wouldnt recommend that shaft at all for you. You would be far better served with a shaft that has a softer tip like the Graphite Design YS-6+, the Aldila NVS or a Grafalloy Pro Launch.

Grafalloy Comp NT 65g - regular flex.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I dont recommend the comp NT because I honestly believe it is a POS. Far better shafts out there for the same money.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I dont recommend the comp NT because I honestly believe it is a POS. Far better shafts out there for the same money.

That is really interesting. I've put it into three different drivers, and it VASTLY improved each of them. The first two I got were stiff, and although they turned the clubs much more stable and reliable, the stiff flex was just too much for me. I learned my lesson and got the regular flex option for my new Sumo.

I won't argue that there may be better values out there (it is not a cheap shaft), but a POS? No way. I love the feel. I love the ball flight. I love the stability. I love the shaft.

I certainly respect your opinion as a clubmaker. I've hit a few replacement shafts in my day, including ProLite, ProLaunch, YS-6+, NV, Harmon, Icon V2, and for me, none even come close to the Comp NT.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You are the first person I have met who likes this shaft.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I Anyway what I need to know is a shaft that is too stiff for my swing speed will that promote a major hook??

Could also be that because you now have a stiff shaft, you subconsciously think "step on it" when you take a swing and get too quick.

Anytime I'm playing with a long hitter my subconscious takes over and I start "competing" off the tee. As I found out Saturday, I then hit big hooks AND slices.

Sam Snead, when playing with Hogan, used to close his eyes when it was Hogan's turn to hit, because Hogan's quick swing would tempt Sneads' subconscious into speeding up. I'm gonna try that next time, and screw that watching for where the other guy's ball goes. :D

Try taking it easy on a few swings and see if it straightens out your ballflight.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You are the first person I have met who likes this shaft.

Perhaps Rockford's review might interest you.

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/5033-tour-edge-exotics-driver-new-hammer.html#post54171

Excerpted from the review:

Shaft Performance:

Can it get any better? This coming from a guy that flaunted his GBBII only to replace it with "The Best Club of All Time", his Cleveland Launcher. I'm a huge fan of the Graf Blue in both those aforementioned heads, but this Nano is something else. No matter how you swing it, the damn thing goes straight. I had to intentionally leave my hands ahead to get the bloody thing to slice. Not fade, slice. You can control the clubhead nicely, from sweet draws to a nice power fade. Excellent, excellent feedback as well. (10/10, easy.)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well I like the Comp NT, but prefer the Blue Tour.

Anyway, I still very much believe what Rock said when he spoke about not looking at the shaft stiffness, but just finding a shaft that works for you, regardless.

That V2 is a beast.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Too stiff?

As a couple of posters have opined, it's likely that the shaft IS too stiff for you. Yes, it is possible to overpower a shaft that is much too soft for your swing, but in my experience, this happens predominantly when the club in question is *way* too soft for you, and also, very likely, on the short and light side. With a shaft that is too soft, I'm equally likely to hit balls right and left, not just left. With shafts that are too stiff for me--especially if they are also a bit on the light side--the vast majority of my misses will be pull-hooks: shots that start left or mid-left and spin violently to the left from there.

I have found, as others have found, that it's possible for me to hit a stiff-ish shaft straight, but the reason I seldom do so, imo, is because I can't feel the clubhead well with a stiff shaft (relative to my swing capabilities) and therefore I panic in the downswing, coming over the top in a misguided attempt to "save" what I think is going to be a weak shot by accelerating furiously.

Members online