• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is the VS Proto a notoriously fragile shaft?

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I have a couple 100W incandescent reflector lamps in my assembly area I use as "accelerators" or a poor man's heat box. I aim them at the clubhead's shaft/hosel/heel area to it raises the temperature up to 105-120ºF or so. I also have a little infrared thermometer I check the temperature with every few hours to make sure the temperature stays consistent. I've figured out a setup that stabilizes to within a few degrees and once it has I let the clubs set for at least 12 hrs. (usually 18) before I finish them or swing them. I also leave the leftover epoxy in the warm area so I can test to see that it is setting up as expected.

No failed epoxy joints in about 6 years now. I suspect the clubs could safely be played after as few as 12 hrs. of curing this way. The curing time curves I've seen on similar 24 hr. epoxies say that raising the temperature to 120º will cut the required cure time by 50% or more.

Not rushing is a good policy though.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.