• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is this normal?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I've been working with my swing for past few weeks and finally starting to see some postive results. Over the past holiday I didn't play but made it to the range for two long practice sessions.

The result was a simpler one plane move that almost eliminates my tendency to pull the ball to the left. However, the other result has been a decrease in distance.

I went out by myself after dinner last night to play a few holes and it was just like the range. No problem going left but every shot is about a club shorter than it use to be.

What I was wondering was if anyone else has experienced this after making a swing change and if becoming more comfortable with the change brought back the distance. I'm hoping that the newness of this swing is simply causing some tension that will go away with time.

It not then I'm going to have to accept being even shorter than before. Crap. :(

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Pulls tend to go a bit further IMO, So that write there could be a reasonfor the shorter lengths. Also if you hooked the ball at all with you old swing, now now it the ball straighter you would definatly get less distance. Right to left ball flights lead to more distance becasue they rool more. So if you used to have a tendancyto hit left, and you have straightend up, you are losing that roll.

Either that our you are just a weak frail girly man. :biglol:

Either way.

S

sevemearse

I would agree with that if the fundamentals are right the distance will follow with time. I changed my swing there recently to take a slight fade out of my game. The 1st few rounds my drive was shorter than usual but very controlled and straight. Recently having gained confidence with the new grip and swing I have added about 50 to 70 yards just being able to relax and really I suppose cut loose.

The 1st few outings I think you are unfamiliar with it and you swing a bit reluctantly, but once it becomes natural you will obviously start to be more free and agressive.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was thinking but it's a little disturbing to be pulling out 6 iron when your use to a seven. If it came down to it I would have to take straight over distance anyway.

And if my distance doesn't come back I can always change my user title to "asshat girly man". :p

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
Every time I make a major change it results in decreased distance. Moving from a lunge (slide) swing to a rotation swing did this for one thing. I think when you concentrate on a major change you forget how hard you used to swing and don't swing as hard.

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
MyGolfDomain.com said:
Every time I make a major change it results in decreased distance. Moving from a lunge (slide) swing to a rotation swing did this for one thing. I think when you concentrate on a major change you forget how hard you used to swing and don't swing as hard.

I thought about this a couple of times yesterday when teeing off and did get the driver to go a bit better. Thanks. :)

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Many people, when straightening out a "pull" will tend to not release the club as much, this can also cause loss of distance as the clubface is not quite square.

Have the same problem myself.

P_102

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
P_102 said:
Many people, when straightening out a "pull" will tend to not release the club as much, this can also cause loss of distance as the clubface is not quite square.

Have the same problem myself.

P_102

Good call P, cause that's exactly what it was.

I was lookings at Ernie Els swing yesterday at golfdigest and one of the things I noticed was how effective his release is. I went out after dinner to hit a few balls and made sure my right arm was rotating over my left and shazam my normal distance was back.

Of course, I was hitting the ball a little left but worked that out pretty quick. I guess I won't have to change my user title to girly man just yet. :D

OP
DaveE

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Silver said:
you're back up to 190 yard drives and 65 yard 9 irons?

Not yet, but with a little more work........ :eek:

Members online