• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is this normal?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'm depressed as hell right now. Despite my 2 spine surgeries, I am in constant pain, sometimes mild, sometimes severe. I haven't had a decent nights sleep in 18 months.

I can't play golf (tried, almost fall down). Can't work on my cars for more than 30 minutes before having to lay flat on floor or get on inversion table. I'm taking NSAIDS at least 6 times a day just to keep from screaming. ******* doctors don't have the balls to prescribe narcotics anymore.

Going to work makes the pain worse, so I have decided to retire at the end March. My income will drop to maybe 30%, so no more vacations or racing. I have started selling off my cars.

This sucks. Now I know why my mother's 2nd husband almost drank himself to death after he retired.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Sorry to hear!!! The body can make us miserable... especially if it is dealing with something the docs can't seem to fix. I hope you have had more than a single doctor diagnose and make recommendations. Local friend owned a jewelry store. Had spent his entire life on those hard floors. Back got to where he thought he would have to sell the store. Local physician wanted him to have surgery on his spine. He was told the end result could work... or it might not. Regardless, the recovery time would be long and he wouldn't be able to work. One day he happened to pick up a magazine that listed some of the fastest growing businesses in the U.S. One was "The Spine Institute". Within days, he saw a commercial on television. Drove to Tulsa... about 5 hours from us for a Monday appointment. They checked him over Monday afternoon and told him they could do surgery the next morning. Said he would be released the following day, Wednesday. Not only was he released, but drove home that day. Went back to work a few days later and just recently retired. He passed the business on to his kids and has spent the past couple of years rebuilding a stone barn and some cattle sheds on his farm.
There almost has to be something out there that will help... without getting you hooked on opioids. I can tell you to keep your chin up. Won't help because it ain't me that's hurting! It is so difficult to stay positive. Just don't give up on finding someone... somewhere who can fix it.
Good luck and wish I was close enough to help in some way!!!!

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Have you tried CBD oil? You can get flavorless oil that you can put right under your tongue, or as I like to do, mix it in beer. Makes my back pain disappear.
Tried it. Didn't help me.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
See, that only fixes problems that begin with "H".
If you start at hiccups and go alphabetically, you'd have to go past Z, cycle back to A, and eventually come back to hemorrhoids. :D

It also fixes [my] back pain. Unfortunately your mileage varies.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Doc - My back problems were pretty bad at one point...like couldn't get out of bed for a week bad.

Two things that really helped were squats/deadlifts to strengthen the muscles in the back and a TENS device.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I used a TENS unit when it was just in my left leg, but I'm not sure it will be practical with this. I'll try it though.

🔥 Latest posts