• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is this normal?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Feeling better since I started taking a muscle relaxer before going to bed and: I retired last Saturday!

I hit a full bucket of balls yesterday and didn't fall down. Can't hit my 6 iron or 5 iron, so looking for hybrids.
Sounds like retirement may be worth it after all, DVM. Pray you manage the pain well and are able to groove a new swing that matches the new you. I can empathize, as I'm managing chronic pain and am trying to put together a new swing for the new me.

Cheers...

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Congrats on retirement, Doc. Looks like the old rooster has finally flown the coop.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Congrats on retirement, Doc. Looks like the rooster has finally flown the coop.
How about a sleeve of these so you don't have to quit the chicken farm cold turkey?

egg ball.png

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Feeling better since I started taking a muscle relaxer before going to bed and: I retired last Saturday!

I hit a full bucket of balls yesterday and didn't fall down. Can't hit my 6 iron or 5 iron, so looking for hybrids.
It's about time!!! Retirement is GREAT! Keep the muscle relaxer going... or whatever it takes to enjoy retired life!!

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Totally agree, but I never thought I'd see the day when the longest iron in my bag was a 7. :(

I have more headcovers than most women players. Right now I really can't use my legs properly in the downswing, so my 5h, 4h, 3h, and 5w are all going the same distance when I hit them off the deck.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Totally agree, but I never thought I'd see the day when the longest iron in my bag was a 7. :(

I have more headcovers than most women players. Right now I really can't use my legs properly in the downswing, so my 5h, 4h, 3h, and 5w are all going the same distance when I hit them off the deck.

I fell about 10 ft last August and did major damage to my right leg, just above the ankle. Both bones compound fractured, tore all the ligament and tendons, turned the foot around backward. Basically it was a full amputation except the soft tissue that held the foot on. They did emergency reconstructive surgery to save the foot. Plate, screws...

All that to say that as I worked to try to golf again (REALLY wanting that connection to my adult son), weight transfer and leg action was/is a problem. I changed over from my old Hogan swing to the stack and tilt with really good results--so much so that now, even tough the leg is still improving and I could see myself pulling off a classic swing one day, I still plan to keep the stack n tilt swing.

Heck, my son has been moving to it for the simplicity and consistency he's seen out of me. (Note: I went about 6 years that I MAY have golfed a couple of times a year, and I'm just now coming back to the game. I was going to have to put some work in no matter what. But my game is coming back much quicker than I expected with these swing changes.)

ETA: I've had some back problems for years as well, though obviously nowhere near the level of yours... Feel better. Enjoy the game...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I never really thought to try it as I was happy with my "5 lessons" swing and I'd heard that the S&T had a tendency to cause a hook. Well, I went to Hogan to fight a hook. Why would I want that back?

The past several months, I've figured out there was a lot of misunderstanding about the S&T. I'm hitting fairly straight to baby draw--a huge change from my old fade. I was afraid I'd lose distance, but I've actually picked some up, probably because my old man shoulders and back had lost quite a bit of rotation in the back swing and the S&T straightening back leg frees my hips up to take the club back a bit further.

Anyway... Hope all works out well for you.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
God, this can be so frustrating. I was hitting my short irons decent, hybrids and woods shitty. Looked at "Easy Swing" videos, and got better at hitting hybrids and woods. Then: can't hit the irons!! Tops, shanks, hooks, slices. Shit!!
Took me 2 days and 2 buckets of balls to figure out I was too far away from the ball and swinging too flat. Finally figured it out and the irons are fixed.
Now I know why pros have swing coaches.

If it doesn't storm tomorrow, I'm going to try playing in a tourney for the first time in over a year.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
God, this can be so frustrating. I was hitting my short irons decent, hybrids and woods shitty. Looked at "Easy Swing" videos, and got better at hitting hybrids and woods. Then: can't hit the irons!! Tops, shanks, hooks, slices. Shit!!
Took me 2 days and 2 buckets of balls to figure out I was too far away from the ball and swinging too flat. Finally figured it out and the irons are fixed.
Now I know why pros have swing coaches.

If it doesn't storm tomorrow, I'm going to try playing in a tourney for the first time in over a year.
I recently went through similar. Couldn't hit irons for anything. Disgusting. Moved closer to the ball and making better contact than I've ever made.

🔥 Latest posts