• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is Tiger Really back?? Your vote please.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,403
4,817
It's amazing what a shot of confidence will do to a playa. Now that he has the monkey off his back, I can see him getting better this year. I can see him win at St. Andrews, given his record there.

I also agree with the point that TW and CdM blew the field away at Augusta. OK, so he should have buried CdM after 16, but he still came through at the play-off to win in style. I think he is back. Is he as good? Perhaps the field has shortened his advantage.

There is certainly now a Big 4 (Hefty, Singh, Els and TW). This will be an interesting year for majors.
 

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
467
1
He is not back, he cracked comming down the stretch, hit a horrible iron on 16, poor drives on 17 and 18. He was lucky his chip went in or Dimarco rolls over him. 9 times out of 10 he is outside 10 feet on that chip.
 

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
1,165
0
One other bit to gnosh (gnaw/nosh???) on. I am remembering that 2 iron he hit in the first round to get out of the junk after the duck into the woods. I remember seeing the perfection of that swing on slow mo, and the violence of it in real time, and I am reminded that it is a swing that a 29 year old body can make.

I am also thinking that it is probably not a swing that can be made by a 35 year old....
 

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,796
1,072
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Farquod said:
I am also thinking that it is probably not a swing that can be made by a 35 year old....


Freddy Couples is a prime example of that. Remember BOOM BOOM?

It's more like "BOOM-Ouch my back!" these days.

I love Freddy to death, but he could have been so much better had he toned his swing down a bit. Back or no back, still smooth as silk....

R35
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,198
270
Farquod said:
One other bit to gnosh (gnaw/nosh???) on. I am remembering that 2 iron he hit in the first round to get out of the junk after the duck into the woods. I remember seeing the perfection of that swing on slow mo, and the violence of it in real time, and I am reminded that it is a swing that a 29 year old body can make.

I am also thinking that it is probably not a swing that can be made by a 35 year old....
I'll let you know in 3 years. ')
 

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
1,165
0
rockford35 said:
Freddy Couples is a prime example of that.

Ya, mon. I was just watching his playing lesson the other day, and his alignment is really whacky. I'm wondering whether that helped screw his back, as well.

I also looked back on PGA.com. FWIW, he was number 1 in the world when he was 33 (1992).

bdcrowe said:
I'll let you know in 3 years. ')

I think I'd want to see THAT video now.... (lol)

DaveE said:
I can't remember....... :confused:

You and me both, bruddah.
 
OP
Bravo

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #23
Farquod said:
One other bit to gnosh (gnaw/nosh???) on. I am remembering that 2 iron he hit in the first round to get out of the junk after the duck into the woods. I remember seeing the perfection of that swing on slow mo, and the violence of it in real time, and I am reminded that it is a swing that a 29 year old body can make.

I am also thinking that it is probably not a swing that can be made by a 35 year old....

This may be interesting if it is true. When he becomes 35, will he be forced to adjust his game to acommodate his age? (If you think about Nicklaus, he never made huge swing changes over his entire career. Little tweaks here and there but the same swing served the man for 30 years of competition.)

Your point may have serious implications for Tiger in the future - as I cannot see how we can continue with that vicious speed past his mid-30's...
 

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
1,165
0
Bravo said:
This may be interesting if it is true. When he becomes 35, will he be forced to adjust his game to acommodate his age? (If you think about Nicklaus, he never made huge swing changes over his entire career. Little tweaks here and there but the same swing served the man for 30 years of competition.)

Your point may have serious implications for Tiger in the future - as I cannot see how we can continue with that vicious speed past his mid-30's...

Bingo. I thought the reason for his current swing changes were so that he would develop a swing that could take him into his 30s and beyond. And then I saw THAT swing.

Combined with the back and forth we've had about his apparent need for distance to dominate, it makes me wonder how much he will really be willing to adapt to a shorter, more controlled game as he ages.
 

Latest posts

Top