• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is Tiger Woods the Biggest Spoiled Brat on the Tour

G

Gorse

Is Tiger Woods the biggest spoiled brat on the PGA tour? Who else saw him inflict damage on the green after he missed his putt on about the 12th hole. It was ridiculous; he missed the putt and then dragged his putter along the green against the grain and caused the grass to stand up like a brush cut. He realized the error of his ways and made a half-hearted attempt to correct his transgression but it you were the next person with that putt you would have had your situation seriously compromised because of Woods childish antics. He later slammed his driver into the ground and kicked his bag when he missed his drive. He is an exceptional player but a very poor ambassador for the game. It is unfortunate that the networks are such ratings whores that they do not have the gumption to take such petulant behaviour to task.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I agree and think he crossed the line on that. The Golf Channel just did a segment on it a few minutes ago and they took him to task. Frank Nobilo discussed a Rule whereby he could ultimately be disqualified.

He needs to learn to control his temper. Damaging the course is inexcusable. I'd hate to be putting through that line after what he did...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Unfortunately it is nothing new with him, and is only getting worse. I say the DQ him, if it is within the rules. Only a DQ will get the point across to him. Fines are nothing to him. His ego is too big to be effected by commentary. DQed from the US Open would be a wakeup call.

the Anomaly

fairways & greens
Jun 17, 2005
How many times do you get mad while playing golf? I tend to get upset from time to time. The only difference between myself and Tiger is that I don't have a camera filming every move I make on the course. He is human and humans do have emotions, tempers, enthusiasm, etc. Not every one has to have Goosen's temperment and demeanor.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Gorse said:
Is Tiger Woods the biggest spoiled brat on the PGA tour? Who else saw him inflict damage on the green after he missed his putt on about the 12th hole. It was ridiculous; he missed the putt and then dragged his putter along the green against the grain and caused the grass to stand up like a brush cut. He realized the error of his ways and made a half-hearted attempt to correct his transgression but it you were the next person with that putt you would have had your situation seriously compromised because of Woods childish antics. He later slammed his driver into the ground and kicked his bag when he missed his drive. He is an exceptional player but a very poor ambassador for the game. It is unfortunate that the networks are such ratings whores that they do not have the gumption to take such petulant behaviour to task.

Biggest spoiled brat? I don't think so...

Of course his behaviour was wrong, but was it worse than Sabbatini's petulance? Was it worse than Casey apparently quitting for no good reason? What's worse - a quitter or someone who wants to be perfect and shows displeasure when they miss a putt? I'd sooner the guy was on the course showing a degree of emotion - not by damaging the course, obviously!

I agree that fining isn't the answer - matters nothing to these guys. Perhaps a "three strikes and you're out" system, i.e. three indiscretions you miss 'x' number of tournaments including the next major?

I remember Faldo getting stick galore for being an emotionless robot on the course - he was slated left, right and centre. Now Woods gets the slating for showing his emotions. There has to be a middle ground.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Biggest spoiled brat? I don't think so...

Of course his behaviour was wrong, but was it worse than Sabbatini's petulance? Was it worse than Casey apparently quitting for no good reason? What's worse - a quitter or someone who wants to be perfect and shows displeasure when they miss a putt? I'd sooner the guy was on the course showing a degree of emotion - not by damaging the course, obviously!

I agree that fining isn't the answer - matters nothing to these guys. Perhaps a "three strikes and you're out" system, i.e. three indiscretions you miss 'x' number of tournaments including the next major?

I remember Faldo getting stick galore for being an emotionless robot on the course - he was slated left, right and centre. Now Woods gets the slating for showing his emotions. There has to be a middle ground.

This is an excellent idea. Sit him down and tell him "It's strike one".

And then tell everyone else on the World Tours too.

If they would take a tough line with him - he AND everyone else would take notice.

longiron

May 2, 2005
I think "we" are paying to much attention to it because its Tiger. All they showed us was him doing it and then brushing it back. We dont know if he or Stevie fixed the damage that was done. Should he have done it no, but we all have done things on the course that we shouldnt have done.

OP
G

Gorse

I think we are drawing attention to it because there is a double standard. If Woods does it, it’s just a function of his competitiveness. If someone who is not an asset to ratings does something unsportsmanlike they are seriously lambasted, as well they should.

Sabattini’s poor behaviour and the improper withdrawal of Casey cannot be used to justify Woods intentionally damaging the green. If that were the case we would be in a dangerous downward spiral to WWF standards. This would be a serious transgression at our local club; it should be a serious issue at the US Open.

The real fact is that Woods has become bigger than the game and he unfortunately knows it. The networks won’t deal with him like they do lesser ratings boosters and Finchem and his gang are also scared to death to risk annoying what they see as their crown jewel.

The sad truth is that the average viewer does not really have a great appreciation for the game and they want to see shot after shot by Woods even when he is four or five shots off the pace. The Golf Channel’s demographics are likely more compiled of serious golfers and true followers of the sport. They are less fearful of the unsophisticated viewers and they made a more honest assessment of what was a very serious incident.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Gorse said:
I think we are drawing attention to it because there is a double standard. If Woods does it, it’s just a function of his competitiveness. If someone who is not an asset to ratings does something unsportsmanlike they are seriously lambasted, as well they should.

Sabattini’s poor behaviour and the improper withdrawal of Casey cannot be used to justify Woods intentionally damaging the green. If that were the case we would be in a dangerous downward spiral to WWF standards. This would be a serious transgression at our local club; it should be a serious issue at the US Open.

The real fact is that Woods has become bigger than the game and he unfortunately knows it. The networks won’t deal with him like they do lesser ratings boosters and Finchem and his gang are also scared to death to risk annoying what they see as their crown jewel.

The sad truth is that the average viewer does not really have a great appreciation for the game and they want to see shot after shot by Woods even when he is four or five shots off the pace. The Golf Channel’s demographics are likely more compiled of serious golfers and true followers of the sport. They are less fearful of the unsophisticated viewers and they made a more honest assessment of what was a very serious incident.

Now this is completely biased.
Bobby Jones had a very very bad temper.
And the PGA tour did gave him a warning. So he behaved.

As I see it, I don't see why you should give Woods a warning, and not give one to your average PGA tour player who gets into a fit of anger. That way, 90% of the players on the Tour can get a warning for throwing their club to the ground.
And Pat Perez would be DQ from all the events too...

As longiron says, maybe people are making a fuss about it because its TW.
And what's all the fuss about Michael Jackson?

OP
G

Gorse

An undisciplined outburst is one thing. Intentionally damaging a green and potentially causing other players to incur the hardship of your wanton disregard is something that I have never seen from another player. And at a USOpen?? Sorry, unacceptable and unbecoming of someone who would like to be considered in the hallowed company of Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus and the other greats.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yes Gorse - agreed. While I don't think he intentionally damaged the course - it makes no difference. His lack of emotional discipline caused damage to the golf course. It certainly was not Accidental by any means.

This was discussed quite a bit during our round today. Experienced golfers I play with are upset about it.

I very much like KA's idea. Again - Three Strikes and you are suspended. They should tell him this and tell the rest of the tour that he has been reprimanded.

It will put everyone on notice that this kind of behavior is not to be tolerated....

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Gorse said:
The networks won’t deal with him like they do lesser ratings boosters and Finchem and his gang are also scared to death to risk annoying what they see as their crown jewel.

While I think you're partially right and I agree with you, to an extent...I think they focus on TW partially because the masses like him (and there's nothing wrong with focusing on that which garners you income - quite frankly, it only makes sense), but also because of what he has shown to be the reason for focusing on him - great charges when all seems lost. Look at the Masters or even this past weekend. He could have possibly a tournament that looked surely lost. Not many others have that ability, much less the draw that TW does...put them together and you have an unstoppable ratings machine.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Loop said:
And Pat Perez would be DQ from all the events too...
QUOTE]

Tell me it wouldn't be tough to be paired with Perez and Jerry Kelly for the first 2 rounds of a tournament. I think I'd WD as soon as I heard the pairing. :D

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I wonder if it would do any good for the classic heros, which Tiger seems to respect, to sit him down and weigh in. I know he thinks a lot of Jack and Arnie and values their opinions and approval. Who could blow off Jack Nicklaus telling them they are disrespecting the game?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
bdcrowe said:
I wonder if it would do any good for the classic heros, which Tiger seems to respect, to sit him down and weigh in. I know he thinks a lot of Jack and Arnie and values their opinions and approval. Who could blow off Jack Nicklaus telling them they are disrespecting the game?

No doubt about it - AND you would Never every see these guys doing the things he does on the course behaviorally.

Uncle Jack should make a phone call to Tiger's house and help him see the light.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.