• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It won't rain

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We are in the middle of a bona fide drought. It just won't rain. Look at these rainfall totals from the past six weeks...

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/35223?month=-1

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/35223?month=0

You see a little rain on those lists, but it wasn't on my yard on our golf course. In the last two months, I've had one inch of rain at my house and I am very close to the course -which is burning up. My home is on a ridge of rock and the course is too. As a result, there is little soil between the rock and the surface. In wet weather, its a fabulous course to play because it all runs off very quickly, but in a drought it just burns up. We have our irrigation lake (to keep us from buying municipal water) and the sprinklers are running at full tilt. Most of the fairways are OK, but the rough is burnt to a crisp.

Ironically, the greens are fine - enduring it all. Of course they are getting tons of attention through it all.

And there ain't no rain in sight...really weird for a city that gets 50 inches of rain per year....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
We got deluged yesterday afternoon. I was planning on getting in 9 this evening, but the clouds are very dark right now. Rain also predicted for Saturday and Sunday. Crap.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
About 3 weeks ago, we got just over 5" in 2.5 days. Not a drop since.

Last night I was saying to my GF, "You know, 1" of rain would be perfect..."

This morning I get up to an absolute downpour. I checked the guage at lunch, 0.9".

My fees for bringing rain are 3 sleeves of HX.56's. :D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo, we're in the same shape here. Even when it rains it misses us. I played yesterday and it was the first time in 13 years I've seen our greens turning brown.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
We don't have that problem. We had about 7 inches of rain in just the last 5 days of June (about 5.5" in a 3 day span), and have had at least one day a week since where we got close to 1" (including 1" Sunday, and 1" yesterday)
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/18301?month=-1

Ironically the courses here are O.K now, with exception to the one that was about 10 feet under water for close to a week. The 3rd time is as many years they had a 50 year flood.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
We've not got a problem in Scotland... It rains regularly... Our greens are perfect at the moment...

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Rock:

If you could guarantee rain, you would be a very wealthy man down here now. God only knows what people would pay for some good long soakers....

I have lived in my current home for almost five years and have had to water the lawn only twice before now...we just usually get a weather front once a week or so that gives us a big dump and thats all we need. Now, I have run a series of hoses out to sprinklerheads and can manage to keep the yard decent by opening and closing four valves in the evenings. Many of the hoses are hidden in bushes so really doesnt look too bad. Many neighbors have sprinkler systems and their yards look fine. Others aren't doing anything (many are retired) and their yards are burning up brown.

Dave: We have had the same exact thing. Sometimes the sky will turn black and it looks like we are going to get the big dump and then nothing. It just moves on past.

FKA: I've seen plenty on the news about the floods up in your part of the country...send it down here.

Schemy

Jun 30, 2006
Bravo said:
We are in the middle of a bona fide drought. It just won't rain. Look at these rainfall totals from the past six weeks...

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/35223?month=-1

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/35223?month=0

You see a little rain on those lists, but it wasn't on my yard on our golf course. In the last two months, I've had one inch of rain at my house and I am very close to the course -which is burning up. My home is on a ridge of rock and the course is too. As a result, there is little soil between the rock and the surface. In wet weather, its a fabulous course to play because it all runs off very quickly, but in a drought it just burns up. We have our irrigation lake (to keep us from buying municipal water) and the sprinklers are running at full tilt. Most of the fairways are OK, but the rough is burnt to a crisp.

Ironically, the greens are fine - enduring it all. Of course they are getting tons of attention through it all.

And there ain't no rain in sight...really weird for a city that gets 50 inches of rain per year....

Brother let me tell you of a drought. I am from the SE Corner of Colorado originally and it has not had steady rainfall in almost 6 years now. It will rain every now and then just to keep a little glimmer of hope alive. The the 100* temps and wind start and all of that hope goes away. It literally is drying up the town I am from. Economy has crashed and folks are fleeing. It is pretty depressing.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
I have lived in my current home for almost five years and have had to water the lawn only twice before now...we just usually get a weather front once a week or so that gives us a big dump and thats all we need. Now, I have run a series of hoses out to sprinklerheads and can manage to keep the yard decent by opening and closing four valves in the evenings. Many of the hoses are hidden in bushes so really doesnt look too bad. Many neighbors have sprinkler systems and their yards look fine. Others aren't doing anything (many are retired) and their yards are burning up brown.

We're lucky on the water issue. You sort of know where I live so you know it's near Lake LBJ. Our house is old and still has an easement to the lake for watering so we have an unlimited supply of water for only the cost of electricity to run the pump.

Even with that it's been so hot I still have areas turning brown. I don't see it getting any better for awhile since July and August are usually dry anyway.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
Rock:

If you could guarantee rain, you would be a very wealthy man down here now. God only knows what people would pay for some good long soakers....

Are you calling me a long soaker? :D

I'll bottle some water up and send it down. We had plenty of water for the next few weeks. The garden's gonna be nuts by Sunday with weeds.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
DaveE said:
Even with that it's been so hot I still have areas turning brown. I don't see it getting any better for awhile since July and August are usually dry anyway.

Maybe if you took the Slip 'n Slide off the lawn once in a while it might stand a chance....

:D

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Slip and slides are a child accident waiting to happen. But life I guess wouldn't be the same without them. :).

The weather in Halifax/Dartmouth, sucks!... I work on a 4 on 4 off schedual, and I'm pretty sure that the rain and storms do to. :(... But it's foggy almost all the time, and if it's not foggy it's super humid. Anyways, It's pretty rough.

Chris.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Bravo said:
FKA: I've seen plenty on the news about the floods up in your part of the country...send it down here.
Fortunately for you, our waterways feed into the Atlantic long before they reach your neck of the woods. I am just happy that we are high enough that we do not have to deal with the water. It drains off nicely at our home and we only have to worry about the inconvenience of tee times and not having to do any rebuilding. It gave me a whole new perspective last year when I saw a house floating down the Delaware Water Gap and getting stuck in a bridge.

We moved to PA from Kansas, so I fully understand the drought. When we lived out there, summer was brown and winter was white. My wife is from KS and her family relies on the rain for what they do, and we always feel bad when they call to tell us how they are in a drought and are praying for rain, and we usually have to tell them about the flash flood warnings.

golfman2760

Aug 25, 2005
you think thats bad?

move to Sydney Australia, we've had about only a months worth of rain in the last year

its expected to rain tommorrow morning but I dont believe weather forecasts with the rain

according to the month in advance its going to be raining the whole month.then those days come around and nothing

if we dont get satisfactory rain soon then NSW is going to be like the Australian version of Nebraska

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.