• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's all gone

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I thought I was on the way back after a miserable few weeks of playing terrible golf. But today just showed me that it has just gone...I can't hit a good shot to save myself.

Played yesterday in a stableford and was poor to start with and scored just 10 points on the front but started to play a bit and feel more comfortable on the back and managed 17 coming home. It felt so much better and I was hopeful that my pain was coming to an end.

Well after going 8,5,7,4 (that's quad, bogey, triple, bogey) and a duck hooked drive on the 5th I just went home. I am fed up fighting the game, all I want is to rediscover the reasonable game I had a couple of months ago but it won't come. I've worked realy hard to try and find what is wrong but I think now I just to accept I'm beaten. Everything feels so alien to me now and I can't enjoy it all. It hurts. It hurts really badly. My great pleasure has been taken away from me.

Going to cancel my membership, put the clubs away for a few months and see how I feel next spring. I want to go and play but it's just too much to take and it's making me miserable. I'll be miserable not playing but not as much I don't think.

Excuse this outpouring but I need to release some of the feelings I have right now amongst guys who know what it's like. Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
hmmmm.

so where in your game is this coming from ?

Irons ?
hitting a bit fat or thin ?

You may be forgetting something, or doing something, and it simply is not registering with your mind. This is what I fight, though becuase I am a novice.

It could be something as simple as a mental slip up when addressing the ball.

Have you only been on the course, or have you also had trouble at the range?
grab a pro or freind, take them to the range with you.

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I either hook or block my irons. The block probably comes from the fear of hooking and I over correct.

Seem to hit bump and runs 20 yards right of the target.

The worst thing is that it just feels so laboured and stiff. It's time to just accept what's happened and move on.

I've had lessons and tried really, really hard to break out of this but it's got to the point now where I just can't get any enjoyment from playing and it feels awful.

Thx for the questions

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I either hook or block my irons. The block probably comes from the fear of hooking and I over correct.

Seem to hit bump and runs 20 yards right of the target.

The worst thing is that it just feels so laboured and stiff. It's time to just accept what's happened and move on.

I've had lessons and tried really, really hard to break out of this but it's got to the point now where I just can't get any enjoyment from playing and it feels awful.

Thx for the questions

Sounds like you need to put the clubs down for a week or three and take a break. I am in the middle of something similar, at the beginning of the year my scores were falling quite nice with a low of 85 (normally shoot mid 90s). Then came a string of high 90's and over 100 and the frustration set in making it worse.

So I took a break. Rather than playing every week I am into my second weekend with no golf, I was asked on friday to play today and while it was tough, I turned down the offer.

A break can be a good thing, even the best need to get away from the game for a little while.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
sounds like what happens to me, when I try a "normal" weak? grip with my right hand.

with a more normal right hand, I cant make a good wrist transistion on the downswing.

If you dont use a strong grip with your right hand, you might try that.

hmm: I may get the terminology wrong, so basically, my right hand is turned more right than most "how to grip" teaching.
I only feel this need on my irons, and the more upright/shorter the iron, the more strong my right hand goes and feels better/correct to me.

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Thx Jim..I'm cancelling my membership and selling all my clubs except for a couple of putters) and starting again next year if I feel that I want to. Will put a few quid aside and pick up a new bag with what I have and get some older but decent gear cheap and try again.

It's no use carrying on when you can no longer enjoy playing.

Appreciate the thoughts but any technical help offered has already been considered and I'm still where I am. Time to admit defeat.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
It might be wise to set the clubs in a corner for a month. I have felt just like you, so frustrated and wanting to play well. You work and work, and it doesn't come. Taking a break might be the best thing you can do. Allow your muscle memory to reset, and you'll come back strong.

I would like to add, though. If you start selling off clubs, make sure you do not sell something special that you'll regret. I haven't been hitting 3 wood great lately, but I need to make sure I keep that one. I'd never forgive myself.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
It might be wise to set the clubs in a corner for a month. I have felt just like you, so frustrated and wanting to play well. You work and work, and it doesn't come. Taking a break might be the best thing you can do. Allow your muscle memory to reset, and you'll come back strong.

I would like to add, though. If you start selling off clubs, make sure you do not sell something special that you'll regret. I haven't been hitting 3 wood great lately, but I need to make sure I keep that one. I'd never forgive myself.

Yeah, I agree with Clug here. Put the clubs out of sight for at least a month. By out of sight I mean in the basement where you never go, a closet that isn't used someplace where you don't walk by them or see them on a regular basis and just decompress. I hate the winters here in Vermont but it does give me a chance to have a break (6-7 months) and start to miss the game again.

OP
Stanters

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Cheers guys - guess you are right - hard for me to make a good decision while my brain is so scrambled.

Act in haste and repent at leisure type stuff.

Appreciate your comments - very kind to spare a sec for a stricken fellow golfer.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Cheers guys - guess you are right - hard for me to make a good decision while my brain is so scrambled.

Act in haste and repent at leisure type stuff.

Appreciate your comments - very kind to spare a sec for a stricken fellow golfer.

Well, I think we have all been there. Back on fathers day I played the worst round of the year so far for me. After that day, I sold my wedges and driver. Played another round after that and played even worse, after 7 holes I wanted to go home but stuck it out and that's when I decided I needed a little break. 2 weeks now and I feel like I want to play again but I am going to give it another week...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Quit being a *****. In the 1st quota match I played in I lost 3 balls in the first 5holes, 2 OB, one just unfindable. I hooked them all left after not missing a shot left since about 2006. I shot 101 and was playing a Pinnacle by the last hole because I lost all the new ProV's I had in my bag.

You have to play bad to get better. I feel bad for guys who brag about shooting a "consistant" 80-81 every time. Enjoy it, that's the best you'll ever be. I could give a crap about shooting a 96 or whatever. I tested things I'd been working on, tried to play agressive and learned lessons. I still feel like I have the potential to be a + handicap as well as in my own mind am a better player than everyone I've ever played with. I can hit every shot a pro can and not just any pro, Mickleson has nothing that I can't do, I just can't do it every time... yet. I actually get more satisfaction out of hitting a couple shots a round that are exactly as I tried to hit. Perfect trajectory, flight and within an inch of targetline. I could shoot 88 and tell you I played great or shoot 81 and tell you I played like crap, all based on those few shots. Why? Because once I can hit those shots on a regular basis, I will be one of the best players around.

So what would you tell me now? "Keep dreaming", right? Well that's what I'm telling you. Don't lose that dream, that drive that keeps us all playing and practicing our asses off to get better at this relatively stupid game.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Quit being a *****. In the 1st quota match I played in I lost 3 balls in the first 5holes, 2 OB, one just unfindable. I hooked them all left after not missing a shot left since about 2006. I shot 101 and was playing a Pinnacle by the last hole because I lost all the new ProV's I had in my bag.

You have to play bad to get better. I feel bad for guys who brag about shooting a "consistant" 80-81 every time. Enjoy it, that's the best you'll ever be. I could give a crap about shooting a 96 or whatever. I tested things I'd been working on, tried to play agressive and learned lessons. I still feel like I have the potential to be a + handicap as well as in my own mind am a better player than everyone I've ever played with. I can hit every shot a pro can and not just any pro, Mickleson has nothing that I can't do, I just can't do it every time... yet. I actually get more satisfaction out of hitting a couple shots a round that are exactly as I tried to hit. Perfect trajectory, flight and within an inch of targetline. I could shoot 88 and tell you I played great or shoot 81 and tell you I played like crap, all based on those few shots. Why? Because once I can hit those shots on a regular basis, I will be one of the best players around.

So what would you tell me now? "Keep dreaming", right? Well that's what I'm telling you. Don't lose that dream, that drive that keeps us all playing and practicing our asses off to get better at this relatively stupid game.

You cannot hit every shot Mickelson can hit, no chance. He is the 2nd best player in the world.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You cannot hit every shot Mickelson can hit, no chance. He is the 2nd best player in the world.

Name one and I'll get it on cam.
icon10.gif
I'm exaggerating but I do have a lot of shots wedge wise now.

My point was the last line.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
Name one and I'll get it on cam.
icon10.gif
I'm exaggerating but I do have a lot of shots wedge wise now.

My point was the last line.

I knew you weren't serious and I agree with all you said. We have all been where Stanters is now and it sucks. I am just too stubborn to quit I guess, I just play through it and practice harder until I get better.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I knew you weren't serious and I agree with all you said. We have all been where Stanters is now and it sucks. I am just too stubborn to quit I guess, I just play through it and practice harder until I get better.

That's what makes it such a great game. If it were easy then I've have had lost interest a long, long time ago. It is so hard to get results out there on the course that keeps me going. Feels like I have to be able to hit the shot 99/100 times just to hit it 1/2 times on the course. There will come a day when everything I have in my practice will all come out on the course... and I'll be a scratch golfer. Might be next year, might be 10yrs. from now but it will happen.

🔥 Latest posts