• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's Club Championship weekend!!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If I ever could I'd love to come out and play. My only problem is the money.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo

The main thing I got from your report was that you enjoyed it, well done. As you know I am the king of the dodgey flatstick. It really let me down earlier this year and last year. I am currently enjoying a purple patch, with 4 birds yesterday with putts of 25ft, 20ft, 12ft and 20ft!! It makes such a difference to the enjoyment of a round. I read Rotella's book, and bang! I suddenly feel a lot more confident standing over a putt.

What was 1st prize? $s? Voucher?
How many played in it altogether? How many in your flight?

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
great report.

at our club 4ball we have beer everywhere, and considering that budweiser is a sponsor, i mean beer is everywhere. you ain't GOTTA drink it, but, well, it is free and it is hot, and being a crammed full tourney there's plenty of standing time.

i played another club's 4ball earlier, and though the course is great, it was like playing a funeral. quiet, nothing to drink on the coure; not even water. dull and boring.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Bravo

The main thing I got from your report was that you enjoyed it, well done. As you know I am the king of the dodgey flatstick. It really let me down earlier this year and last year. I am currently enjoying a purple patch, with 4 birds yesterday with putts of 25ft, 20ft, 12ft and 20ft!! It makes such a difference to the enjoyment of a round. I read Rotella's book, and bang! I suddenly feel a lot more confident standing over a putt.

What was 1st prize? $s? Voucher?
How many played in it altogether? How many in your flight?

There were about 80 players in the tourney and I would estimate my flight had about 10-12 players.

Each flight paid out 1st-2nd on both Gross and Net. I think that 1st Place awarded you $250 in pro shop credit and 2nd was $150....

Maybe I need to read the Rotella book. Something's gotta help me with it...my problem is I rarely make putts of the distance you described. A hit a ton very very close, finishing within inches of the hole. I just can't get many in.

I had two birdies on Sunday....One was from 12 feet and the other from about 10-12ft. Get me over that distance and the odds are very very long that I will be able to sink it....So for me to make birdies, I gotta hit it close...

You are right, even though I did not win - I had a great time. Lot's of good humor liberally mixed with alcohol and some good fellows....

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Oh yeah...yesterday I found out how the championship came out.

The 15 year old boy was leading by three strokes with three to go. He was playing against a 51 yo man who has won the championship several times previously. He helped found The Golf Channel and is retired now...does nothing but play golf and smoke cigarettes. He has known this boy since he was in diapers.

The kid crumbled...lost it down the stretch.

Hopefully he will learn from the experience and it will help him down the road. Wish I had been there to watch it...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Dave:

............. The best guys are shooting below par even with the tucked pins and glass-like greens. While I have shot in the low 70's a few times, I couldn't possibly imagine putting together three low scores back to back from the tips. I knew almost everyone in my flight and I can say none of them have the skills to do it either.....

Ah right Bravo.... yep that's hot shooting ... both our courses are comparable length wise @ 6,800 off the tips .. our tourney was over 36 on consecutive Sundays .... first week was a fine day with a moderate southerly breeze blowing 20mph or so .. 2nd week was a slightly stronger breeze blowing easterly (no help on any hole) ... in saying that 151 was the take home prize, which was defo above what I'd thought would win having shot 163 myself...

But I gotta say I love the way yers was organised watching the scores posted on a leaderboard (was that hole by hole or cumultative?) ... our clubhouse was like chinese whispers ... you were eavesdropping snippets of conversations listening out for scores ..

They can say what they like about you Yanks .. but ya know how to run a tourney ;)... all the best .

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Dave:

The scores are cumulative...we don't have any electronic way of reporting hole scores as they are completed.

It's old fashioned. Before the tourney, a computer generates a custom scorecard for each player with a place for the signature of both the competitor and the scorer at the bottom. After you finish, you turn in your card and a member of the shop staff rechecks your score and posts both your gross and net on the scoreboard with a colored marker/pen.

The scoreboard is about six feet high and 25 feet wide, so you can get a large field on there...yes there is quite a bit of drama if you put up a low one early and start drinking while the others come in and are put up. It's a lot of fun...

king hacker

Sep 5, 2006
Hey prime rib and a keg of BEER,thats worth the 100$ right there.Sounds like a tun of fun and way to keep your head in the game after your Sunday practice round.;)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
As far as my City Champsionship went I played with about 120, and 3rd paid 160 at the local pro shop(at the first course I played in the tournament), I was very happy for that.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.