• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's not a bad game that gets you down

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I played my fav course today, after working from 7:30 am to 1:00pm in a rather physical job. On tee 5, I really slammed the ball, and it went 4-5 feet OB it seemed. My dad really wanted to find it, so we let two pairs go by us. We fould the ball, played the hole, and went to the next tee. One of the pairs was there, he complained that the guys in front of us were taking a long time. Anyway, I finally got up to the tee, and really laid it out there. Then here comes a SO SLOW foursome behind us (we watched them on the previous green while we waited to tee off for about 10 minutes) saying we cut in front of them. I was awestruck, just thinking "what the hell?". My dad, however was like "I'm not in a hurry, go ahead."

We waited at EVERY HOLE for them. At least 15 minutes. Two old guys (who were terrible, the one had a 70 yard drive) and two ladies who probably never saw a golf club before. The entire game, I was wishing I had known what they were trying to do so I could've said "Hey, go **** yourself." Well, that's not very courteous.. but I wouldn't have let them play ahead of us. Even if we had gotten in front of them, it was me and dad and their super slow group of 4. Wouldn't the nice thing to do be for them to let us go? And that wasn't even the case..

Ugh.. the last 3 holes all I was thinking about was how I'd rather be beating the tar out of those morons rather than finishing the course. I shot 4 higher than my handicap. I just wasn't into it after that.

Wanted to beat the moustache off of that fat son of a...

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I played today as well, but had a reverse experience. I was playing in a 2-some, and the guy behind us was a single. He kept pushing, and pushing, and I got madder and madder. My round, which had got off to a good start, went into the crapper with a 10.

Finally I told him to go through, and proceeded to whack pine cones with my 5 iron as he teed off.

I finally calmed down and played a decent back 9, but my front really sucked.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Why get mad? Just simply ask to get ahead of them.
Some people have no understanding how their slowness affects other.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Loop said:
Why get mad? Just simply ask to get ahead of them.
Some people have no understanding how their slowness affects other.

That reminds me of a time I asked someone if I could play though.

Me and my friend had been waiting for 15-20 min. off each teebox, and we had just wanted to get in a quick nine but the group infront of us was taking forever, and it was hurting my round. So at the 5th hole I go up to them and here is our conversation.

Me:Hi, do you mind if we play through.
Them:What
Me:Can we please play through
Me:Can I please play through
By now I was getting very mad
Me:Can I play through
Them: Eh...NO!!!

BTW:Silver when people play ungodly slow and don't let you play through which happens to me a lot it messes up my round quite a bit. Cause I am thinking of how I wanna go beat the living sh*t out of them instead of work on my game.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i play in a twosome alot so i know the felling of both situations.but if some one comes up behind me and there is room in front i will ask them if they want to play threw.if there is no room in front ill ask them if they want to play along if its another twosome or a single.
i never ask someone to play threw i just figure that most people will notice and let you threw very seldom have i had anybody not offer to let me threw.usualy on our course there are 3 par 4`sthat with a 250 drive if they are on the green they will hear it land or make a good shot into a green and somebody will notice and genearlly let you threw.

but of course there are always some fools that maybe come out a couple times a year that just dont have any manners.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
But I mean, these people accused us of 'budging'. I didn't know that was even against the rules, and if I was in a foursome and got 'budged' by a pair, I wouldn't think anything of it. Next time, I'm bringing my bazooka. And I'm not gonna feed the big dog. He'll be out for blood!

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
A great way to make people let you play through is to put your towel on the grass and actually lie down with your back on the ground in a place where the offenders can see you, especially if there's more than one of you doing it. It's never failed me. :)

I also like to play more than one ball if there's a slow group ahead of me. Earlier this summer I was stuck playing alone behind a stack of three foursomes, so I played a ball from both the blue and white tees and another from the reds on the par 3s. Two rounds for the price of one, and it really shows where your weaknesses are. I was under par from the whites and four or five over from the blues; I spent an hour the next day at the range working on my mid-irons.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
True story, as in, you can't make this shit up.

My course gets very slow in the afternoons. With it's proximity to downtown MPLS, a lot of folks will come there after work and have some beers etc. while they play.

Anyway, last year a guy, his wife, and their 15 year-old niece were out playing. Only the guy was playing, really, the other two were just along. They get caught behind a two-some that is obviously pretty lit. They are playing pretty slow, and drinking a lot. This goes on for a few holes.

Number 7 is a par-5. The two-some is taking it's time on the green, and the single with the gals "lays up" to about 20 yards off so as to ask if he can play threw. While they are driving up, the drunk ****s are doing "snow angels" on the green and generally ****ing around.

The single drives up gets out of his cart, walks up and says something like, "Hey, you guys mind if I play through?"

They retort with something like, "Go **** yourself".

The single says, "I'll just go play #8."

They retort, "The **** you will"

And then they jump him. They get on top and start beating on him. The wife and neice start yelling. The guy is fighting back as best he can.

Suddenly, one of the guys is "pulled off" as in he stops fighting and slumps to the ground. His pal is shocked when he turns and the teenager with the PW launches that into the side of his head also. Blood everywhere.

The teenager took out the PW and swung and hit the first guy in the back of the head, ax-style, and then swung and hit the other guy in the side of the head as he was going to look back. Brutal. Both of them were knocked out, or worse.

Thanks to cell-phones, someone from another tee box had dialed 911 when they saw the fight break out. The police and ambulance arrived shortly after. I have no idea what became of the whole mess, or even if the guys survived. I know they hauled the girl in though, if only for questioning.

I tell this story only as a warning for when playing through goes terribly, terribly wrong. It can happen this way, and has.

Usually I just hit into slow players until they get the hint and let our group through. :)

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
No way! They should've given that girl the key to the city for that! Indeed, no one would have the nerve to tell a story like that and expect to be believed if it weren't true.. Cheers to the niece who had the bravery to defend her uncle, and an excellent choice going with the pitching wedge. See, she knew that the wedge was for close-range.. and for ass whoopings.
See if you can find out what happened, I'm interested!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
It was sometime last summer I believe. I'm in good with the guys that work there and when I came in to play, they told me about it. I played #7 that evening and all that was left was tire tracks from where the police and ambulance drove onto the course.

If she was arraigned, I'm sure she'd get off easy. EVERYONE in the judicial system plays golf. I'll do some googling to see if there is anything out there.

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
And I would hope that anyone period wouldn't try to punish a girl for defending her uncle from two violent drunkards, who was attacked simply for asking to play through a couple of guys that were acting like idiots!

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
Augster said:
The teenager took out the PW and swung and hit the first guy in the back of the head, ax-style, and then swung and hit the other guy in the side of the head as he was going to look back.

Ax-style! Brilliant!

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Now, is "fore!" proper etiquette when there's a club en route to one's skull, or is it just for the golf ball itself? Maybe we need a "fyve!".

Members online

No members online now.