• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's Official with me now: the US Open is the worst

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I agree that the masters is more entertaining, but the Open is definately "golf at its best". The "game" rules, not the players.

In a typical pga event a missed fairway means the player is going to have a bit tougher time putting spin on the ball, but the penalty for hitting into the rough is fractional. fair enough, there is O.B. for a real penalty.

But the OPEN is the best of the best, any golfer can compete (just get the 2 hndcp and qualify) Think Ouimet. And golf is a game of "minimizing errors". So the best way to find out who can play the most error free golf is to really set back the player who hits a so so shot.
take the first tee a while ago, so many players missing the fairway. If you are the best of the best, you better be able to hit the fairway, even if that means playing smart- clubbing down and maybe hitting an Iron.

Golf is never flawless. But as an art form, I think the better artist minimizes the imperfections in the first place.
Rough too rough?? It's the players call, take an unplayable and go back and hit it again till you get it right. But you made an error and you should have to pay for it. Like the advice I always get- "if you dont like where the ball ended up, you shouldn't have hit it there". The best of the best should do it right on the first try.

I liked watching phil putting for birdie yesterday, putts it long and it rolls off the green, miss coming back and finally sinks it for bogey. I can relate, putting for birdie, worked to get bogey. I do that alot :biglol:

Too dull? Well it isnt the "eye candy" of great birdies and eagles of on in two and one putt, But these guys are the best. And it is good to see them struggle to keep it together rather than see how much than can tear the course apart. and look to smart play for the win.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Just alter your mindset.Forget birdies and par,its irrelevant terminology.Just enjoy the shots they are playing,they have to play some remarkable golf to win this,its irrelevant they are not for birdies and eagles.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Just alter your mindset.Forget birdies and par,its irrelevant terminology.Just enjoy the shots they are playing,they have to play some remarkable golf to win this,its irrelevant they are not for birdies and eagles.

I agree with you on this point.

After watching four hours of the tourney today, you can tell the USGA really put the water on the greens. They are holding and the players are making some birdies. Much more fun to watch IMHO.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I don't think its the amount of water,its the fact they could put it on later thanks to Cabrera keeping the field short with that birdie on 18 yesterday

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Rubbish,no luck required,that was a superb days golf.Brilliant stuff:)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I don't think its the amount of water,its the fact they could put it on later thanks to Cabrera keeping the field short with that birdie on 18 yesterday

You missed that one...the USGA watered last night and this morning.

The stroke average today is 3 lower than yesterday. It's all due to softening the greens.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
LOL, well if "THE TIGER" said so, than it must be true!

Seriously, what did he say, I didn't hear. Something about the hackers at home, or something?

Today on the broadcast they quoted Tiger as saying "You put a good 10 handicapper on this course and he won't break 100".

I'm pretty sure he's right too. :D

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The course is PERFECT right now. The best players are are shooting right around par. The rough is difficult and there are some weird ass lies in the bunkers, but this makes them a true penalty. This is shaping to be the best US Open in a long time.

BTW - Tiger was absolutely brilliant today.

And WBL, I think you are way off on the luck thing... the guys are all saying it's playing very fair.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I love seeing the best players in the world scramble for pars and bogeys. The a different kind of tournament that you might not want to watch every week, but the US Open only happens once a year. With Miller announcing, I definitely prefer it over the British.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I don't know if the best golfer is going to win. More likely the "luckiest" golfer.... :D

What do you mean by that??? It's the general run of the mill PGA Tour stop where the guy with the lucky bounces gets the trophy. At Oakmont the winner will have had 4 days of good decisions and good execution. Some tournaments can be won by one spectacular day and 3 average days. This week it's going to be the one who plays 4 rounds of solid, consistent golf. It will be the guy who can make the shots that are required, and make them for 4 straight days.

You won't find many "lucky" breaks on this course, so you better keep the ball in play, don't do anything stupid when you do hit the inevitable weak shot, and you'll be hanging around the leaders on Sunday. Try to play bomb and gouge, or try to be too greedy in a marginal situation, and you'll be playing the back nine before the leaders tee off for the final round.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I agree,Tiger was simply awesome,17 greens in reg,just superb course mgt and ball striking,possibly the best round of golf all year,no luck at all.

I wonder if they will soften the greens up for today

OmegaG5

Jul 29, 2006
I believe what makes the tournament less entertaining is the lack of birdies and eagles. The lack of adventurous shots. These guys are the experts. We want to see them shine. We want to see them do what we can't do.

Designing a course which brings them down to a 72 or worse as a difficult target doesn't show off what they are capable of.... knocking the socks of people such as you and me on a normal golf course. Being entertaining and showing off their real skills.... the stuff that we admire them for.

Rod

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Today on the broadcast they quoted Tiger as saying "You put a good 10 handicapper on this course and he won't break 100".

I'm pretty sure he's right too. :D

I may not break 100, but I would love the opportunity to play Oakmont with Friday's conditions. :D

It is so hard to compare how one would play a course like Oakmont, as most of us will never get to play a tournament course, let alone a tournament course in tournament conditions. Personally, I putt better on faster greens. I am not a 17 inch by the hole kind of putter, so I THINK I would be able to handle the slick greens of Oakmont fairly well, but I will never know for sure.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I believe what makes the tournament less entertaining is the lack of birdies and eagles. The lack of adventurous shots. These guys are the experts. We want to see them shine. We want to see them do what we can't do.

Designing a course which brings them down to a 72 or worse as a difficult target doesn't show off what they are capable of.... knocking the socks of people such as you and me on a normal golf course. Being entertaining and showing off their real skills.... the stuff that we admire them for.

Rod

But they ARE doing what we can't....shooting less than 100. It's far more interesting seeing how they cope with tough shots and situation than hitting 5 irons into par 5s and lob wedges to par 4s.

We can learn a lot from watching their course management and when and where to take your medicine much more than stiffing a load of short irons.

Anyone else scared to death by the greens btw?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.