• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's official

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have a sucky swing. :(

I just got back from a visit to Dana Upshaw in Warner Robbins. Got up at 0500, drove 150 miles, hit a bunch of balls on a very sophisticated video/launch monitor system, spent a lot of money trying to buy a swing, and drove back. I'm pooped.

Mostly hit 5 irons and my drivers. My 5iron swing speed is 80 mph. Rock, try to stop laughing. What makes it even worse is that just this week, Dana had a Nationwide tour player in whose 5 iron speed was over 105 mph, with a 220 yard carry. Another reason I'm not on the tour.

Good news: after trying several different shafts, I was able to get almost perfect contact with Rifle 5.0 with a 292 cpm. My 5 iron distance with a blade head went from 151 to 177 yards just by changing the shafts. The wedges will be done in 6.0 with a spinner something or another. By that point I was so wanged out that I just took his word for it.

Good news/bad news: I seemed to get similar contact no matter which iron head we tried: Titleist, Mizuno, Hogan, Wishon, blade and cavity back. So we decided to just use my Hogan Apex blades.

Bad news: my swing needs some work. Dana showed me on the video how I was not staying behind the ball, and I am way too handsy. Taking his advice into account, I got a little better.

More bad news: my other set of irons, the Hogan CFTs with graphite shafts are not right for my handsy swing, as they are too offset, so I will probably be selling them.

Really bad news: the Tour Edge Exotics driver is a no-go for me. Something about the lie angle is causing me to launch it at a very high angle, and he didn't think a shaft change would cure it, so it will be for sale as well.

Wierd news: My 983K was fine. Dana says with my swing, it's good enough. Same for my 3 & 5 woods.

Putter news: my pratically new Yes! Tracy had a crooked grip which Dana says is very common, was an inch too short, and sat closed. He fixed all of those things while I was there so now I have a straight red, white & blue grip. :)

I left there with a much lighter wallet. Dana says I will get my new/old irons in a week or so. Meanwhile I will just play with woods and a putter. :D
Nah, I will use my very old Apex II blades.

pdlnole

Seminole Pride!
Apr 23, 2006
If you decide to get rid of the Exotics driver, are you gonna give us first dibs?:)

Seriously, I may be interested if you decide to get rid of it. I have been looking hard at the club for awhile.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Doc I love your spirit for the game. Thats what counts.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Yes, I will put the Exotics up for sale here first, as soon as I quit crying.

Maybe the Edge CFTs and hybrids as well. That depends on the new sticks.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I know this cost you just lite of a 1K, but how did that break down?

Sounds like you only got new shafts, some instruction and mostly his and computer time.

Sounds like an awesome way to spend a day...

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
A week to reshaft irons? He must be very busy.
Unless you are balooning your driver you can find a shaft that will make it work. He might not sell that shaft but there is one that will work.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
3 hours Dana's time, and it was really more like 3.5 hours @ $95/hr = 285; most of this time was on the launch monitor, some of it was video, some was measuring my old clubs

10 clubs @ $60 each; includes pulling old shafts, drilling out taper to parallel, new Rifles, each one frequency matched, floed, spined, and sprinkled with magical pixie dust, grips = $600

tax + shipping = $95

He also fixed one of my hybrids that had a loose head, and redid my Yes! Tracy putter after using video analysis of the putter head during my stroke: lengthened 1", new laser aligned grip, adjusted loft and lie.

He said he has jury duty this week, so he will work on them in the mornings and evenings. Here's hoping for a quick conviction. :D

I went to the range last night, and hit my 983K well, so I'm not in a hurry for a new driver. Dana did have me hit his personal driver shafted with a Limey, and I wasn't any better with it. I almost couldn't hit the ball with it because I couldn't take my eyes off the shaft. Gosh, is that thing bright.

🔥 Latest posts