• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

It's so BIG!

Jakobean

Keystone Conesure
Jul 17, 2005
That's going to be enormous. Yet that is gonna be one sweet looking building

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
So thats where all our oil dollars are going!

Well, not all, most.

Maybe not most, some.

OK, a few.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
So thats where all our oil dollars are going!

Well, not all, most.

Maybe not most, some.

OK, a few.

You know, I'd never really looked at it like that....the Western world is funding the building of the Gulf and the Middle East.

Arabs produce oil...sell oil to the West...use Western $ to finance construction...Western World bombs Arabs...destroys construction...oil price goes up...so Arab countries get even more $$...to build bigger and better construction....

longiron

May 2, 2005
Im an ironworker and the thing that always pisses me off about things like this is that they never seam to think about us when they think these things up. There are going to be conections on that building that only about 10 guys in the world can make. And by the way you couldnt pay me enough to be on that job

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
longiron said:
Im an ironworker and the thing that always pisses me off about things like this is that they never seam to think about us when they think these things up. There are going to be conections on that building that only about 10 guys in the world can make. And by the way you couldnt pay me enough to be on that job

Most of the construction workers will be from the Asian subcontinent...some of the cheapest labour in the world.

Obviously the main technical expertise will be Western - and for that they'll pay top dollar, I'm sure.

But the on-site grafters are the ones I feel sorry for. 10 - 12 hours a day in 45 degrees(115 for the seppos!) for about $10 per day. Poor b'stards.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Kilted Arab said:
Most of the construction workers will be from the Asian subcontinent...some of the cheapest labour in the world.

Obviously the main technical expertise will be Western - and for that they'll pay top dollar, I'm sure.

But the on-site grafters are the ones I feel sorry for. 10 - 12 hours a day in 45 degrees(115 for the seppos!) for about $10 per day. Poor b'stards.

The tallest building in the world, contracted out to the lowest bidder paying the worst wages.

First day of opening of the elevator: "Uh, you go first."

R35

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Rockford35 said:
The tallest building in the world, contracted out to the lowest bidder paying the worst wages.

First day of opening of the elevator: "Uh, you go first."

R35

Indeed. and built on sand - dont forget that part...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Every city that has a river running through it has houses built on it's edge. And every year there are problems with houses falling into rivers.

Who builds a house on unconsolidated materials?

There are morons everywhere.

My personal favorite is a building in town here. The building was finished, about 16 stories, and the elevator shaft was out 5 feet when it was completed. There's an addition on the side of the building to accomodate the elevator shaft. Needless to say, the contractor didn't stay in business very long after that boo-boo....

R35

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Every city that has a river running through it has houses built on it's edge. And every year there are problems with houses falling into rivers.

Who builds a house on unconsolidated materials?

There are morons everywhere.

My personal favorite is a building in town here. The building was finished, about 16 stories, and the elevator shaft was out 5 feet when it was completed. There's an addition on the side of the building to accomodate the elevator shaft. Needless to say, the contractor didn't stay in business very long after that boo-boo....

R35

To be fair, the buildings here are pretty damned good. Been no collapses so far! Dunno how they do it - I guess they drill down pretty far to get into solid bedrock. The tallest hotel building in the world is here...built on its own manmade island.

If you have money, just about anything is possible...

🔥 Latest posts