• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Its that time of year again

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
epoxy..........check
new BCT grips ...................check
ferrules..........check
corks................check
ram rod...............check
tape..................check
swingweight scale...............check

R0011321_edited-1.jpg

and some frigging pills. I get so anal doing the annual regrip. Every year I do test clubs, messing with swing weights and every year I get to the same conclusion, D3 for the 7 iron and then increments of 1 sw point per club, down down to the longer irons.

I weigh the tape, the cork, the glue even, everything, I get a serious bout of OCD, and I mean serious. I have frigging nightmares I didn't get it right. I even put a spirit level on the window sill for petes sake

Its a form of illness I think. I am certainly not looking forward to it

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
As Alice Cooper once said, welcome to my nightmare........................................

I all seriousness though, if all you are doing is changing grips then everything else you are doing is unnecessary. A swingweight change from regripping will have no effect on head feel. The added/or removed weight is so close to the fulcrum point that it will undetectable during actual use. It may fool the SW scale, but thats about it. SW is directly tied to how the club flexes, this is affected by head weight. So if the shaft is the same, the length of the finished club is the same, and head weight is the same, the swingweight number is irrelevant.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
yeah I know, but I do it anyway, I change everything, mess with lower swing weights and higher, waste a load of grips and end up where I started ad in the process, get myself a dose of OCD. I hayte not knowing that the cork is down as far as it will go SO I MEASURE IT FOR PETES SAKE

Now have a 7 iron sat at D1.6......or is it D1.65?

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
ps I', not just foolling the sw scale by adding extra weight, the head will actually feel heavier won't it? I have been coming over the top a little, adding some tape got me back on plane, hence why I am adding weight

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
ps I', not just foolling the sw scale by adding extra weight, the head will actually feel heavier won't it? I have been coming over the top a little, adding some tape got me back on plane, hence why I am adding weight

You can fluctuate weight at the grip end by as much as 30-50grams imo without affecting head feel. IMO the best thing to do is to add or remove weight from the head until you get the best swing and ball striking pattern you can achieve. Then remove the grip and MOI it, or if you cant MOI then Swing weight it. Now build your remaining irons around this club in 3/4 of a point swing weight difference. Say you did your 7 iron and it was E7 without a grip, your 8 iron would be E7.75 and your 6 would be E6.25. Now grip them and play. No need to re-swingweight them after putting the grips back on.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
thats exactly what I do, but I still feel the need to re-swingweight them and go and hit 500 balls with each (not kidding). First one out today 300 7 irons and guess what, back to the same original swing weight I started with, D2.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.