• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've been reduced to using a baseball grip!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Oh, the ignomy of it. In a desperate attempt to cure my driver slice, I started using a 10 finger grip tonight. The good news is that it seemed to help. The bad news is that I can't hit a draw with the driver to save my life.

Impact tape shows that I am consistently hitting on the heel. On the rare occasion that I hit near the sweetspot, I get 20 more yards distance.

My next desperate attempt will involve lead tape and wearing 2 gloves. :(

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
How's your swing plane? I've been thinking a lot about this issue lately, and have slowly realized that my biggest error is a tendency to cast out or come over the top. Tonight I've done a lot of time with the Momentus, and concentrating on how it feels to pull the club through and keeping my arms in, whereas if I come over the top I get a pushing kind of motion involved while making the transition from the backswing.

Of course, that may have nothing to do with what's causing your slice, but it's been the big reason why I haven't taken the driver out on the course for the past month. But now that I've thought about it, I'm ready to go to the range and give the driver a workout.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Hey don't knock it! I played for 12 years with the conventional Vardon grip until I had a bad spell (you know the type where you change everything until you manage to fluke a good shot out). I have been playing with the baseball grip since and don't regret it as I seem to hit the ball much much straighter, further and have better feel too which I really didn't expect.

There is only one pro I have ever known with this grip and that was Ronan Rafferty. Anybody know any others?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I had the OTT move so ingrained in my swing that even when I thought I wasn't doing it I was doing it. I my case it doesn't result in slice though. It produces a lovely pull hook instead.

My last few times out I'm convinced that I've finally tamed that bastard. The result has been a significant increase in distance (20-25 yds) off the tee and only one ob and no lost balls in over 36 holes.

It's taken two years to do it and it stills feels awkward but the results are worth it. Get the OTT move out of your swing and the slice will disapear.

Of course if the OTT move isn't your problem please feel free to ignore everything I just said. :D

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
DaveE said:
I had the OTT move so ingrained in my swing that even when I thought I wasn't doing it I was doing it. I my case it doesn't result in slice though. It produces a lovely pull hook instead.

That's what happens if you close the clubface down. I've had that happen to me a number of times. Must.eliminate.over.the.top has become my swing mantra, as I've become aware of it, its effects, and swinging the Momentus, which makes it very hard to push the clubhead out in the over-the-top movement.

Although I've been thinking more about Siberian's complaint, and wonder if he had been opening up the clubface, perhaps in his grip setup. With an open clubface and hitting on the heel, near the hosel that (standing too close to the ball maybe?), he could definitely get some slice action as he opens up on the follow through, and the clubhead heel skids in to hit the ball.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Although I've been thinking more about Siberian's complaint, and wonder if he had been opening up the clubface, perhaps in his grip setup. With an open clubface and hitting on the heel, near the hosel that (standing too close to the ball maybe?), he could definitely get some slice action as he opens up on the follow through, and the clubhead heel skids in to hit the ball.

Last night I put impact tape on the driver, and I was really surprised to see most of those hits on the heel. I felt like I had a strong grip already and that I was standing WAY away from the ball, but the tape doesn't lie.

I probably need to get my pro to check my swing before I start changing things too much, but he hasn't been there the last few times I've gone to the range.

I swear I don't feel like I'm coming OTT, but who knows? Darn these short days and having to go to work instead of going to the range!!! :)

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I certainly don't know then. If you've got a pro, have him check your setup and alignment.

I know what you mean about the short days, though. It's kind of rough seeing the light ebbing so soon in the evening. Like last night, when working with the Momentus, I got to a point where I wanted to hit some balls. I really wanted to feel the pulling through action and getting rid of the OTT I frequently have.

So what did I do?

Where I live I'm fortunate enough there are empty fields across a quiet road. I grabbed a couple of my shag balls, and a couple of tees, then found a place, pulled up a strip of grass to let the driver head through, and took a couple of swings in the darkness. First one I didn't hit well, I could feel that.

The second one gave a sharp crack and went zooming off into the night. I heard it reach the woods across the field.

I did that to 5 balls this morning before heading for work. The last one almost hit a telephone wire flush and kicked straight down. I really wanted to see that last one go I had hit it so flush. 3 of the 4 were solid hits, the other 1 was a popup that I got the driver head under.

While it felt good to take a few swings, I wanted to spend some time at it.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hey Siberian:

I have played quite a few rounds with a guy who plays Natural Golf - and it works for him. He is about 70 years old and has played golf for 50 years. Originally from Chicago but has lived here for 25 years and has a place in Naples FL where he goes between December and Feb.

This guy plays a ton of golf - likely over 200 rounds per year.

He told me that about 10 years ago - his back started going bad on him - especially after playing golf. Somebody told him about Natural Golf and he converted over to it.

He said it took about 8 months to convert over his game to Natural Golf but once there - it was easy for him.

When I first played with him - I saw his set up grip and swing and thought, "Kind of funny looking but he hits it straight down the middle". After about 2-3 rounds I felt comfortable enough to ask him about it. That's when he said, "I play Natural Golf".

When you go to Natural Golf, you hold it like a baseball bat. Your set up is very upright and your backswing is much shorter than with a Vardon grip. This is why Harry's back does not bother him now - because with the baseball grip - you can only take the club back a certain distance.

If you really like the baseball grip and feel comfortable with it - consider contacting Natural Golf and enrolling in their program. After watching Harry play 15-20 rounds with it - there is no doubt that it can allow higher handicappers to really lower their scores because of the simplicity of the set up and swing...there are fewer variables to go wrong.

He told me that his best handicap when he was younger was about a 7. He had gone up to a 19 by the time he converted to Natural Golf (primarily due to back pain). After a year playing Natural Golf, he was a solid 14...

Another thing to remember, all of your short game including chipping, pitching and putting is almost unchanged with the baseball grip. So you are using the new system on only about 40% of your shots...

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Hmm, Natural Golf? I may check it out. Last night's trial of the baseball grip was one of desperation, for sure, and I only tried it on the driver. My other clubs have been OK with the interlocking grip, but I will try various grips with various clubs and see what works best.

I may need a notebook just to keep things straight: Let's see: driver, baseball grip, medium stance width, slightly closed stance, spit over right shoulder and incant "Diddle, diddle, straight down the middle" while swinging. :D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'm pretty sure if you'll try a Medicus club while wearing a Swing Jacket, hitting an Almost Golf ball off a Zero Gravity tee while listening to the Tour Tempo tones you'll be fine in no time.

It's always the simple things that work best. :D

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
And don't forget to use a Momentus in place of your 7-iron.

I tried hitting a ball with it last night, got it so flush and pure the ball went a good 350 yard carry and about 50 yards of roll.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
DaveE said:
I'm pretty sure if you'll try a Medicus club while wearing a Swing Jacket, hitting an Almost Golf ball off a Zero Gravity tee while listening to the Tour Tempo tones you'll be fine in no time.

It's always the simple things that work best. :D

LOL....:biglol: :biglol: :biglol:

🔥 Latest posts