• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've decided... I will NOT be getting a Scotty

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
Well,

I've putted a few with several models at the local golf shop. I do like the Circa 62 models #1 and #2, as well as the old Coronados and my personal favorite, the Napa.

I've been putting with the same Anser 2 for 20 years now, and a Anser clone like the Newports is NOT what I am looking for....

But the problem is, the WEIGHT of the Scottys. They are just too light for me. I have a little bit of lead tape on my Ping, as I prefer a heavier feeling putter. The off the rack Scottys are far to light for me, and I can't imagine me shelling out $150-$200 bucks for a beat up Cameron, sending it off to the custom shop for a refinish, adding my three kids initials to the putter, getting a custom paint fill etc....

and then sticking lead tape on the darn thing. Yuck.

I believe 95% of the Cameron's out there are 330 gram heads. There are 350 gram heads out there, mostly from Japan and Far East Asia, but they are hard to come by from what I am seeing on The Cameron Collector Boards and The Bay. Some of the Circle T's are heavier as well.... but I'm not paying triple the price because of a Circle T. I would have gamed my putter from the moment it was delivered.

So... The Ping it is.

And I LOVED the idea of the kids initials on my putter. Two boys and a girl.. and a blue and pink color scheme would have been really great.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Screw Cameron, Slighter will do the same work better, for less bread.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The Redwood Anser is heavier then most, even the regular Ansers since it is milled from a solid block of stainless. That's probably why I'm doing so well with it. :)

OP
usa1950

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I've thought about a Slighter, but to be honest I've found that some of his stampings seem a bit amatuerish. Off-Center, not straight etc. Even more so.... when he does "dancing" letters in Cameron Style, he just "dances" badly.

This is just one man's opinion, however... and I only have photos to go by. His napa style blades are too thin for me... I'm looking for something more meaty, like the late 90's Napa's from Cameron.

As for stamping my Ping... I could do that, I suppose. There is no more room on the face (my putter is an ancient model - made in the 80's) as there is a "pingman" on the toe of the face, and the letters p i n g on the heel. The back cavity is full as well, "patent pending", etc.

I could do the neck, I suppose.

But the idea was to get something new, something different, and customize it. But if it's too light, I'll save the cash and have free greens fees for most of 2008.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I've thought about a Slighter, but to be honest I've found that some of his stampings seem a bit amatuerish. Off-Center, not straight etc. Even more so.... when he does "dancing" letters in Cameron Style, he just "dances" badly.

I think that this is by design - especially since it is all done by hand. Just adds to the handmade look.

jick

Oct 17, 2007
Cameron has been slowly falling out of favor among the Internet forum market thanks to the proliferation of "What's In The Bag" pics.

People are realizing that the Camerons on tour are different from what he sells off-the-rack but that you can still get them through selected controlled channels at high prices.

And they are discovering the same quality putters in terms of materials, milling, and customization for tour, but at off-the-rack prices. These are putters like TP Mills, Slighter, 350milled, Byron, and even Ping WRX, while for OTR alternatives for the purists they have also discovered that Bettinardi still mills out of his own facility in limited runs and one piece of steel - not sacrificing his quality.

It is but a natural choice among the Internet diehards to move away from Cameron, as can be seems from the prices of his limited run putters dropping on eBay. And usually, where the internet starts - the rest of the golfing world follows. It is all just a natural progression and you are just one of the many who are choosing alternatives to Cameron putters.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
the price certainly seems right on the first production run Slighters that are on his site right now - I think i've made up my mind to have a custom one made, so i'm going to wait

well - it's still alot of money for a golf club, but compared to the custom one I have in mind - it looks nice

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
the price certainly seems right on the first production run Slighters that are on his site right now - I think i've made up my mind to have a custom one made, so i'm going to wait

well - it's still alot of money for a golf club, but compared to the custom one I have in mind - it looks nice

the custom one will cost you more - but if you want a 350 gram Tacoma then $250 is a good price.

If I were to buy another I'd probably get a Portland, but with the same neck as my Bellevue. I don't need or want another putter, but if I were to buy one to compliment mine it would be a Portland.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
usa1950,

You might consider a putter from C & L Milled. Here is a link to a good example of what you can get with custom stamping:

Custom C&L from Photoshop to Reality - GolfWRX.com

Of course, you could one with virtually no stamping at all...

S-

LOVE the 350 milled. If they would have had a Santa Fe style neck I would have looked long and hard at them. Their oil finish is the best

GoodDay

Sep 22, 2006
Get the loft and lie checked every so often.

Buddy of mine just got his SC checked today - which he bought new - and it was 2* off on loft and 3* off on lie (it was dead-on when new).

Bag chatter and beers was the flaw we figured. ;)

Oh, and the putter looks like perfection...in case you posters think it was due to abuse and or a bad temper (not the case).

Irish

May 9, 2007
Would check out byron nelson as well..this is the ASS (American Stainless Steel) 007 model - its about $300 ...351 grams and from what I read there may be scope for something heavier too....

I'm seriously considering buying myself one for my inpending 30th birthday
index.php

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
usa1950, Ping will do custom work for you on a new putter. Contact their WRX dept. via email and see what they will/won't do.

🔥 Latest posts