• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've got $150 (or so) to spend; what should I get?

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Go to your nearest Golfsmith store and try a bunch of sets of their used irons till you find a model you like. Then go home and search for the same set with the same shafts on Ebay. There are a ton of great deals on irons right now on Ebay. Hard times for some mean bargains for others.

Take this set for instance. Good irons, I have hit them and I think Padraig Harrington was using these 2 years ago. Look in good shape. Buy it now is $99. These clubs were over $600 when new.

Wilson Staff Pi5 irons 3-PW steel S-300 Cord Used - eBay (item 150316982961 end time Dec-22-08 08:12:33 PST)

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Another good alternative for a Driver without hurting the pocket at GG

Adams REDLINE TI 460cc Driver 11.5 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

This one also looks a good deal and nice loft for a beginner

Snake Eyes PYTHON XL driver 11.5 Reg. flex w/cover - eBay (item 320326643023 end time Dec-23-08 09:43:57 PST)

And I linked these to another thread - apparently a decent set and inc a SW, hybrids in the longer clubs and brand new.....

NEW NICKLAUS G-12X HYBRID/STEEL IRON SET 3 - PW + SW - eBay (item 330295901959 end time Dec-25-08 19:44:53 PST)

Could even squeeze in a 3-4 wood

Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood Golf Club (2841 - eBay (item 390017122294 end time Jan-13-09 09:42:10 PST)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
OP
C

CiminoUM5

Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for all the help so far, definitely pointing me in the right direction.

What do you think of this set for $75? Or this one for $99? Or the Adams Tight Lies that I've seen many people talk about for $125 used.

Also, the Sports Authority near me has a set of the Golden Bear G-12x's for $125 (after my coupon).

edit: Also found this set of TA 845s Silverscots. He has it listed at $125obo but I emailed him and asked if he would take $90 for it, citing that I could get it for $80 shipped from globalgolf. Figure the extra ten bucks is worth what appear to be a set in better shape than the ones on GG and the ability to try 'em out in person first. Just wish it had a PW like the one on GG, but I guess I can just buy a decent one seperate.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thanks for all the help so far, definitely pointing me in the right direction.

What do you think of this set for $75? Or this one for $99? Or the Adams Tight Lies that I've seen many people talk about for $125 used.

Also, the Sports Authority near me has a set of the Golden Bear G-12x's for $125 (after my coupon).

edit: Also found this set of TA 845s Silverscots. He has it listed at $125obo but I emailed him and asked if he would take $90 for it, citing that I could get it for $80 shipped from globalgolf. Figure the extra ten bucks is worth what appear to be a set in better shape than the ones on GG and the ability to try 'em out in person first. Just wish it had a PW like the one on GG, but I guess I can just buy a decent one seperate.
I have always preached Adams for affordable sets simply because they are usually easily available. I would personally go with the Silverscots of those listed, but the price seems a little steep.

Compare to these.
Tommy Armour 845s SILVER SCOT Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

edit 1 - BTW, I have never purchased from Global Golf, but they are one of the sponsors here and you will likely never hear anything but terrific things. Ooops, just saw you edit that you saw the ones on GG

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
IMO all those Craiglist sets are well overpriced. If you shop around online and Ebay you can get a set much cheaper. I got my first set of irons, Mizuno's, for $10 at a yard sale. My current set was $75 used.

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Dec 21, 2008
I just received an email from the seller and they said they'd take $90 for them (the Armours). Once you factor in shipping, the ones from globalgolf would be $80 anyway and these appear to be in barely-used condition...and I get to try them out first :).

Seems like a good deal, then I figure I can piece together a putter/wedge/FWs with the remaining $60 (and if I have to go over that I can afford to throw in a few bucks myself).

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Did you find out what kind of shafts those have? Probably just as if not more important than the head. More the flex and not necessarily the type. Probably want to make sure it matches you swing.

Edit 1 - even the ones on GG have a stiff shaft, so if you are not fairly athletic or have a reasonable swing, you could likely be better suited to a regular flex. How far do you hit say a 6i, assuming you are consistent with a 6i. (or ideally if you know you Swing Speed and tempo it would even be better)

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Dec 21, 2008
Well, they're regular flex shafts. I honestly have no idea how far I typically hit a 6 (or most any club) and likewise have no idea what my swing speed or tempo is. I'm pretty sure I've been told that I tend to overswing a bit though, and from what I've read that means that I'd be better off with a regular flex to force me to slow down my swing.

I'm shot an email back to the owner of the 845's and am gonna take a look at and hopefully buy them on Wednesday.

So that's $90 spent on 2-9 irons. That leaves me with $60-90 to find a good putter, wedge, and fairway woods. Do I really need a driver right away? I've had some people tell me that you're better off not even messing with a driver until you've mastered your fairway woods. That it's better to hit a 3 consistently 75% of the time than your driver 50% or less.

Any recommendations on wedges or fairway woods? It sounds like with putters I should just head to a Play-It-Again or GolfSmith and find one that feels right to me? And should I invest in a decent hybrid club?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Mizuno wedges are good an can be found for cheap. The MP-T series from a couple years ago can usually be found for around $20 used. I'm partial to Taylormade fairway woods for "bang for buck". IMO the 200steel is as as good or better than most of the stuff put out since then, including Taylormade's own stuff. It's a shame, I gave my boss my 200steel 3W and I'm not sure if he's got it anymore. I'd have given it away to someone who would use it.

Anyway, with FW woods, the 2002-2003 models are as good as anything out there now. FW's haven't gone anywhere technology wise IMO.

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Dec 21, 2008
FYI, I'm an idiot. Somehow in one of the pictures of the TA's that was provided, I somehow saw a "P" as a "2", so it turns out I won't need a wedge after all (I assume this one will suffice?).

So, I should put the money I would have earmarked for a PW towards a nice used hybrid instead, right? :laugh:

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
FYI, I'm an idiot. Somehow in one of the pictures of the TA's that was provided, I somehow saw a "P" as a "2", so it turns out I won't need a wedge after all (I assume this one will suffice?).

So, I should put the money I would have earmarked for a PW towards a nice used hybrid instead, right? :laugh:

I would be willing to sell you the hybrid i offered you earlier for $25 shipped. It's a tommy armour silver scot 21* degree hybrid. I also got that Taylormade 200 steel 3 wood for $25 shipped as well if your interested. If you want both i'd do $45 free shipping.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.