• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've got $350 for a new set (w/p putter)

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Not the worst option but its it's eaten alive by this though $55

Taylor Made R5 DUAL TYPE D Driver 8.5 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Do you not think the Hogan Edges are right? Not forgiving enough? Just wondering, no egos on the line here, I thought they were really nice.

Mind you these are probably better

Ben Hogan APEX EDGE PRO Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Really worth considering surely?

Great combo there. I wouldnt suggest the 8.5 loft just by knowing the fact that many players in general(nevermind beginners) need an 8.5 loft., so make sure to select a higher one.

That iron set is purtyyyyyy. A little lacking in forgiveness, but a great club that you could grow into

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
LOL - I edited that as I saw it linked to the 8.5 degree.

Those irons are so nice - they play beautifully an I'm thinking of getting a set myself myself to repace my 690s. Just thinking at this stage.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
Its not that I think that those hogan edges were bad, its just that the price was a little too high for fit in budget. Between taxes and college I can't be spending too much, and I'm trying to get nice clubs at a lower price.

and I'd say I'd need a 10.5* driver and regulat flex based on what I've read.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Well you did say $350 - by my reckoning this combo....

TM R5
Hogan Edge Pro
2x Cleveland wedges

$55 + $170 + $40 = $265

....leaves you $85 for a 4 wood. should be easy on GG to get that. Probably get the whole lot for under $320 and beating that for the quality is a very tough ask.

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
well, yea, I geuss by technicality you win, howeve talking with my parents, $300 for the whole lot (again less the putter) is a more reasonable budget, and those edge pros have stiff flex, and I need a regular flex.

I'm not trying to be arrogant or show you off, but I really need keep the price down on this, but then again, if I'm buying crappy clubs, I'd be better off using my dads old forged (non-forgiving at all) set.

how many times better are the apex edges compared to the taylor mades or the nicklaus?

edit- what do you think of that Macgregor (sp?) driver I posted? I'm liking that because it looks good from the reviews, and with the additional warranty on it, I'm thinking it is something that would be a better investment, assuming that it is a good club.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them.

They all have their benefits and weaknesses for you. The Hogans may be stiff flex but the apex 4 shafts aren't lead pipes - I doubt they'll make a huge difference to you and being forged they will have a better feel.

And there's no winning here, I'm just trying to help you find some good kit for the money - it's your call at the end of the day.

Oh and tell your parents that EBay does exist - they can believe in it, Vampires, now thats a different story......

OP
rubber314chicken

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
you do have a good point, and with that said, I'll probably go with the taylor made 200 irons and the macgregor driver because the drivers ina better condition and has the warranty and good reviews, and the irons will be good for me, because I'm really at the point where I can't tell a difference, and once I can tell a difference, the odds of wanting to have the clubs that I'll have then is pretty low. So its really just a matter of getting some pretty nice clubs for a good price, and then going from there once I devolope more of a feel.

🔥 Latest posts