• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've helped the Canadian economy

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Well it had to happen sooner or later ..... the last Maxfli A10 that I scored on a clearance sale this time last year found itself a watery grave the week before last. The significance of the loss was that I no longer had a stache of premium balls which I use for tourney play. I have a mish mash of premium balls HX Tours, Pro v's in my bag.... but I decided to throw myself lock and stock behind one make only ... and the winner was Srixon Hi-Brid Tour a 3 piece wound ball.

Anyways, I've posted previously about the disparity in the price of golf equip this side of the Atlantic ...after careful research I found a guy in Peterborough, Ontario that has shipped 3 dozen to da emerald isle for the princely sum of $ 55 Cdn plus $ 45 Cdn S+H, and it still worked out cheaper than walking into a shop here !! .... If it wasn't for 9 months of Winter, Ice Hockey and moose jerky I'd consider movin there;) ...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
Well it had to happen sooner or later ..... the last Maxfli A10 that I scored on a clearance sale this time last year found itself a watery grave the week before last. The significance of the loss was that I no longer had a stache of premium balls which I use for tourney play. I have a mish mash of premium balls HX Tours, Pro v's in my bag.... but I decided to throw myself lock and stock behind one make only ... and the winner was Srixon Hi-Brid Tour a 3 piece wound ball.

Anyways, I've posted previously about the disparity in the price of golf equip this side of the Atlantic ...after careful research I found a guy in Peterborough, Ontario that has shipped 3 dozen to da emerald isle for the princely sum of $ 55 Cdn plus $ 45 Cdn S+H, and it still worked out cheaper than walking into a shop here !! .... If it wasn't for 9 months of Winter, Ice Hockey and moose jerky I'd consider movin there;) ...

Jeez! Davie-Boy, yer tighter than any sweaty I've ever met when it comes tae seekin' oot a bargain!

Consider yersel' and Honorary Jock. As i've said before, there are two types of people in this world - Scots and those who want to be. I think you've made it! Now, we just need to work on the accent and dress sense.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
Jeez! Davie-Boy, yer tighter than any sweaty I've ever met when it comes tae seekin' oot a bargain!

Consider yersel' and Honorary Jock. As i've said before, there are two types of people in this world - Scots and those who want to be. I think you've made it! Now, we just need to work on the accent and dress sense.

Disco Kilts!!!!???

Hoots mon! :wow:

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Ah, DI, try the southern coast of BC. 3 weeks of winter, good fashion, great golf (still too much hockey though).

Best place in the world.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Could some sort of business opportunity be filled from this disparity in pricing?

For example, if I could incorporate here as a golf retailer and start buying equipment from manufacturers and distributors at wholesale and ship it to the UK - could a reasonable profit be made?

This pricing disparity doesn't make sense. If we were to ship in bulk (I suppose by ship vs by air) the cost of shipping would be greatly reduced.

Example: In our golf shop, our pro sells the new Pro-V1's for $40 USD. I suppose he buys them for $35 wholesale.

If I could ship to the UK in bulk at $7USD per dozen - we would have an on ground Cost of $42USD. Mark them up to $52USD and sell them at a 20% markup.

How much does the Government charge for tariff/duty on incoming goods from the US?

What am I missing?

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:

LOL......... I see IG got in b4 me @ dress sense jibe ..... how close to nirvana have ya reached Kilted ?.... a Jock livin in a tax haven .... kinda like me or IG gettin a job tastin brew in Guinness ;)

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Silver said:
Ah, DI, try the southern coast of BC. 3 weeks of winter, good fashion, great golf (still too much hockey though).

Best place in the world.

LOL @ good fashion ... biggest sellin book in Canada is 101 ways to wear a check shirt !!... emm ... errr ... Silver... da beer ?

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Golf Monkey said:
That's a good price DI, did you buy them online?

Yeah GM ... I scored them in "The 'Ho Palace" aka ebay ;) .... I tell ya one thing, I've only played 3 rounds with'em but I seriously think they're the best balls I've ever played ... I have never felt a sweeter shot coming off the irons than that of the Hi-Brid. I read an article some time back about Srixon, they devote the biggest budget of all the companies to golf ball development, where they lead in innovation others follow, I think they have a huge research facility in Malaysia (or somewhere close) ... that would put a Formula One grand prix team to shame ..

OP
Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo said:
Could some sort of business opportunity be filled from this disparity in pricing?

For example, if I could incorporate here as a golf retailer and start buying equipment from manufacturers and distributors at wholesale and ship it to the UK - could a reasonable profit be made?

This pricing disparity doesn't make sense. If we were to ship in bulk (I suppose by ship vs by air) the cost of shipping would be greatly reduced.

Example: In our golf shop, our pro sells the new Pro-V1's for $40 USD. I suppose he buys them for $35 wholesale.

If I could ship to the UK in bulk at $7USD per dozen - we would have an on ground Cost of $42USD. Mark them up to $52USD and sell them at a 20% markup.

How much does the Government charge for tariff/duty on incoming goods from the US?

What am I missing?

Nice example Bravo of the ProV 1's .... the cheapest price I know of in the UK (which is cheaper than Ireland) is £32.99 a dozen - equates to $ 59.50 roughly

The EU have a universal categorisation of imported goods from outside called a TARIC code ...(golf equip has one code whereas golf balls has a separate one) ... each code will have a related sales tax ... it's usually between 2 and 4% ... in addition you then pay customs which is calculated based on the standard rate VAT is charged on goods in each of the EU countries (we have goods vat and services vat which is a lesser %) In the UK I think vat on goods runs @ 17.5 % whereas here it's 21 %. I should've mentioned that there is an exemption from customs charges, which I'm a little unsure of, but I think if the value of the goods is less than maybe £ 70 you don't pay customs charges.

I gave an example previously of the Sonartecs (NP99 and MD transition) which I brought in from a guy in Chicago ... with S+H, sales and customs I splashed out roughly the same amount as I would've here for just one of the clubs ... I've given up whinging in golf shops to the guys about the disparity, I just hand my money over either to the UK, America and now Canada ... phaque'em ;) ..A business savvy guy could certainly eke out a decent crust from the above ... Me? ... no no ... I just like to bitch and watch out the window for ma friend from UPS ... would you believe we're on first name terms now !! .... I even offered him a cup of coffee when he delivered the Srixons ...

🔥 Latest posts