• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've improved my game, watching Brooke Henderson

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
I was watching Brooke Henderson win the CP Women's Open last week, and the announcer at one point commented how Brooke grips down on the club - there was a close up of her grip and sure enough. They said she just feels she has more control that way.
So, I'm not very large in stature, to put it mildly. I'm a little over 5 feet. So, I started thinking, maybe I should do that too. In my many years playing, I've certainly tried gripping down on the club - for punch shots, chips, whatever. And I always feel like I have better control and better contact when I do. I've actually been gripping down 1 wind on my Golf Pride grip for years. So, because of Brook, I figured, I should grip down more. I went to 2 full winds.
I've played 4 rounds since then (I'm retired and I can play lights out) and guess what - I'm hitting better, straighter, and longer on almost every shot. Today, I had a chance for par on most of the holes - better putting is my next challenge, now that I'm actually hitting the ball.
Thanks Brooke. I've been playing SO MUCH better because I watched you.
Plus, you're one of the prettiest ladies out there, if I can still say that.
If I can't, well, you still are.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Brother-in-law accompanied us on our golf trip this past weekend. He's a brick mason by trade. Can hit the ball a mile. He chokes down an inch or two on all of his clubs. Still hits it past the rest of us. Says that's the only way he can keep the ball in play... some of the time.
The 78 year old in our geezer group also chokes down on his driver. Hits the snot outta the ball. Guess maybe I need to take the hint from all of you and follow suit.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Brother-in-law accompanied us on our golf trip this past weekend. He's a brick mason by trade. Can hit the ball a mile. He chokes down an inch or two on all of his clubs. Still hits it past the rest of us. Says that's the only way he can keep the ball in play... some of the time.
The 78 year old in our geezer group also chokes down on his driver. Hits the snot outta the ball. Guess maybe I need to take the hint from all of you and follow suit.
I shortened my driver to 44", no distance lost and much more control. 3w is 42" and hybrid is 40".

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
But doesn't Brooke use a 48" driver?

Yes she does but grips down around 3" to 4" Looks very strange to see that much club sticking out... I grip mine right out to the end of the 45" length and grip down if I need to take any off.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Gripped down on everything this morning. Only got to play 11 holes. Very early, but really seemed more comfortable and much more in control.
giphy.gif

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Being a Canuck myself, I thought what the hell, give this a try... well damn!! Played Saturday with my bro & father-in-law, fired an amazing 78. I had several drives that came close to touching 300 yds and the contact with all of my clubs just sounded mint!! I was most impressed with my ball flight. I’m not a high ball hitter by any means, but I hit my 6i with like a PW ball flight. For me that’s ridiculous and I loved it!

They did start calling me Brooke mid-round, but I took it as a compliment!! Oh Canada

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
My improvement has persisted, I'm happy to say. Since my grip change, I've played maybe 8 rounds or so. I can't remember when I've hit the ball so consistently over this many rounds. An isolated good shot here and there is all I can usually expect. I have much more confidence - my fairway woods are carrying beautifully even from tight lies. I'm so happy. Tomorrow I renew my annual senior pass here in Albuquerque. Pay once for the whole year and good on all the city courses.

🔥 Latest posts