• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I've seen enough of the r7

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
We all know I ain't no ho....

But, I have now played 36 holes with a good friend who has the new r7 in his bag. (I haven't hit it yet. I think he needs a couple of sky marks first).

He's smokin' it folks.

And its just not long - it is undoubtedly straighter. This is the guy who is 6'7" - so he has a lot to control. But as you can imagine - with those long arms, once he gets it all lined up - he can crush it.

In any event, over the years, we have been about even off the tee. Our very Best (not average) drives are usually in the 275 range plus/minus a bit. But he's just blowing it by me now...

Dick's has the r7 at $399 now....and there is no way I can justify it - but Driver Envy has me ball the shorthairs now.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Here is some justification you can try on your psyche....

1) It's $100 off
2) it's essential to improving your game
3) You work hard all year, you deserve a treat once in awhile
4) If you buy this club you will be able to review it for all your shot talk pals who will then want one too.
5) Just do it.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
hit it before you get too envious...also hit newer, cheaper drivers

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I have hit it and love it the distance is incredible of it in my opinion it is a good bit longer than the 983k HCR, it is also very forgiving.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The master said:
I have hit it and love it the distance is incredible of it in my opinion it is a good bit longer than the 983k HCR, it is also very forgiving.

Our Golf Director is a conservative guy. He does not push equipment on anybody.

He told my friend when he picked up the club he would add about 30 yards in distance. Of course it should be mentioned that he was playing with a five year old driver at the time and the comparison was being made between the five year old driver and the r7. But I think it was a good estimate.

But its the increased accuracy he is getting AT the Same Time he is getting the distance that we were discussing yesterday....

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll have to hit one this spring. I've only hit one in the cage, didn't like the feel much.

Does your buddy have the stock MAS shaft? Or is it aftermarket? Often, this can have a positive or negative effect on clubs.

R35

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
I'll have to hit one this spring. I've only hit one in the cage, didn't like the feel much.

Does your buddy have the stock MAS shaft? Or is it aftermarket? Often, this can have a positive or negative effect on clubs.

R35

Rocky:

He has the stock. I checked the club myself. Stock MAS - stiff.

FWIW this is what I have in my R540. I have considered reshafting but I guess I am a chicken.

Maybe bdcrowe can help me out with this. Hopefully we are going to get together in a week or so and play...

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
the number one guy on my h.s. team has one, he crushes the ball, he has it on that high draw setting, but, the thing is, my burner 420 8.5, i hit it mid/low trajectory and am only about 5 yards shorter, the number one guy is about 6'4" and really muscular, i am 5'11" not very muscular, don't swing hard, but i'm still just right there all the time, golf is the most unpredictable sport

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I've seen a few R7's on E-bay for super cheap, B. Like 300CDN. BUT, they don't have the wrench set.

If your buddy has a wrench, you could borrow it, set it to your liking, and never use it again (which I really think is a stupid thing with the R7 idea....i mean, once it's set up to your liking, you're almost never going to change it).

By the time you're ready to sell it, the R7 will be long gone from it's prime, and i'm sure wrench kits will be cheap on E-bay....

Just a though, B....

The stock MAS shaft is pretty easy to find cheap. I guess the TP shaft is being pulled by alot of guys in favour of the NV Shaft or something along those lines. I remember reading about a guy that swore by the Grafalloy Blue Launch shaft in his R7....

R35

davevandyk

Mar 9, 2005
I thought i would chime in with my opinion since i own a R7. I am a 1-2 index and have a swing speed around 105-110mph. I had this club with the stock MAS shaft and couldn't hit it very consistently but really liked the look and sound of it. I recently put in an Accra SC 65 X in it and.....WOW! I have only hit it indoors but the launch readings are just night and day between this combo and the stock combo. Until i put the Accra in, i was considering selling the club, i had it up in the Classified section. However, now i don't think i will ever sell it. This club feels, sounds, looks and performs much better than the 983s that i hit with the same combo. If you are serious about getting better accuracy and distance, spend the extra money and get this shaft put in the driver. Over this winter i have bought and sold 5 drivers, i have problems i know, but now i am not even looking anymore.

This driver has a lot of hype, but believe me it surpasses the hype! Give it a try if you can.

Duckhook Mallard

Aug 27, 2004
Funny you brought this up. . . . . I played with a guy this afternoon who had just picked one up as a demo. His first couple of swings were kind of rough, but by the back 9 he was absolutely stripin it. As a matter of fact, he wouldn't shut up about it. He told us a couple of times that he's never hit the ball that far in his life. . . . and he looked genuinely giddy about getting to the next hole.

If that's doesn't make a case to "reward yourself" then I don't know what does.

To be perfectly honest, I was considering it on the drive home. . . . . :faintthud

Mizuno MPed

Fore!
Mar 11, 2005
JasonMacIsaac said:
I wonder how it matches up against the 983 E (longer of the two Titleist 983 models).
thats not necessarly true. 983 k is for usually the sweepers and the E is for the people who hit down on the ball. For me, the k is straighter and longer. Same for Ernie, Adam Scott, and Paul Casey. Of course, Love III uses the E b/c well look at his swing. He comes down hard on the ball. As for the distance comparison bt the r7 and the 983, i have to say the r7 is longer. BUTTTT the 905T and S are coming out. I am tempted to buy either the R7 TP, Cleveland COMp (hit it and love iT), or the Ping g2. I also have the kzg gemini in the back of my mind.

🔥 Latest posts