• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

JD Classic, Guess Who's Coming to Lunch

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
So, as an employee of John Deere, Tour players are going to be joining us at lunch at the various facilities here in the Quad Cities this Wednesday. I have no idea who is going to show up at the facility I work at, though I am sure it isn't going to be any of the really big names -- if only because none if the really big names bother playing the John Deere Classic.

Does anyone have any really interesting questions for some random journeyman Tour Pro?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
1. Do you ever play for fun at a local muni? Or, do you only play tourney golf or only at upscale venues?
2. We hear about the "groupies" that follow celebrities. We see many "trophy wives"... or girlfriends... as tourney winers leave the 18th green on Sunday. Do you play golf for the money? Or, do you play for the "benefits"?
3. We've seen equipment changes can have an adverse effect on those at the pro level. Curtis Strange went from MacGregor to Mauraman and tanked. Payne Stewart had difficulty adapting to Top Flite irons. Last year's U.S. Open winner switched from Callaway to Srixon and can't recapture the 'magic'. TW swtiched from Titleist to Nike and won more. PM went from Titleist to Callaway and won a couple Masters. Have you changed manufacturers in your career? Did it have a postive effect or a negative effect on your golf game?
4. Do all tourney participants get cars to use at each location? Do you have to return them with a full tank of gas? If you don't will they charge you something like $10/gal like rental car companies do?
5. As there some on tour who are "prima donas".... nose in air and thinking the Earth revolves around them? Or, are most of the guys pretty "common", simply trying to earn a living playing this great game?

OP
Bignose

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
I found out today who is coming to the lunch I am going to: Briny Baird and Aron Price

OP
Bignose

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
It was a pretty good time, the guys seemed pretty genuine in answering questions.

I did ask about the practice scehdule, and both said that on non-tournament weeks, they take Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Thursday they hit the range, and work on whatever their coach/trainer/caddy thinks is needed, and then play a round. And, they said they try to play 2 or 3 more times that weekend.

They said that they don't do much range work at all because a range just doesn't replicate on-course scenarios. No ball above the feet, below, in deep rough, sidehill, etc. That basically, the consdiering playing rounds as their practice.

Aron mentioned having to play with his father-in-law, and they they will just play 'regular' courses once in a while, too. Most of them are members at several elite clubs, so they usually try to play them.

BB said that his caddy noticed how much he was swaying during a putt, so as a drill had him putt on one foot to eliminate the sway. He told the story how the drill relaly helped, but on his first tournament after working on the drill, he had a 10 foot birdie putt that he left 4 feet short when putting in a traditional stance. So he thought "to heck with it" and did the foot-in-front-of-the-other stance in tournament play for years. He said he now uses a belly putter, so he's back to a more normal stance. As normal as you can get with a belly putter, anyway.

I didn't get a chance to ask any other questions -- other people also ahd questions and I wasn't going to monopolize their time. Definitely an interesting time, however.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
It was a pretty good time, the guys seemed pretty genuine in answering questions.

I did ask about the practice scehdule, and both said that on non-tournament weeks, they take Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Thursday they hit the range, and work on whatever their coach/trainer/caddy thinks is needed, and then play a round. And, they said they try to play 2 or 3 more times that weekend.

They said that they don't do much range work at all because a range just doesn't replicate on-course scenarios. No ball above the feet, below, in deep rough, sidehill, etc. That basically, the consdiering playing rounds as their practice.

Aron mentioned having to play with his father-in-law, and they they will just play 'regular' courses once in a while, too. Most of them are members at several elite clubs, so they usually try to play them.

BB said that his caddy noticed how much he was swaying during a putt, so as a drill had him putt on one foot to eliminate the sway. He told the story how the drill relaly helped, but on his first tournament after working on the drill, he had a 10 foot birdie putt that he left 4 feet short when putting in a traditional stance. So he thought "to heck with it" and did the foot-in-front-of-the-other stance in tournament play for years. He said he now uses a belly putter, so he's back to a more normal stance. As normal as you can get with a belly putter, anyway.

I didn't get a chance to ask any other questions -- other people also ahd questions and I wasn't going to monopolize their time. Definitely an interesting time, however.

Freakin sweet dude... that's awesome

OP
Bignose

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Well, I'm sure I can't take ALL the credit, but it is pretty awesome that Briny ended up in 9th and Aron ended up in 12th. I don't know exactly what players visited the other factories in the Quad Cities, but I am pretty sure that the facility I worked at 'won'.

🔥 Latest posts