• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Jeff, or any other college golfers.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Hey, you guys know my story by now. Jeff you briefly outlined what i need to do to play for college, but i would like some more detail please. I think i have the college picked out i want to go to, I'm not banking on a golf scholorship as my GPA is under 3.0, the only thing working for me is a 29 on the ACT. Since golf season is kind of comming to a close, and i want to base my college choice on if i can play golf, im running out of time here.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Im about the same as you here crossfire, im using the Ping College Golf Guide and its helping me alot. I sent emails to my top 5 schools and am sending them follow up letters in the next week or so. The Ping guide helps alot looking at where the team is and giving you ideas what to do etc. I felt looking at scoring avgs of teams have helped me alot, and if i play decently to good, i can be a starter on any of my top teams (high div II and mid-low div I).

Unlike you though, i havent taken either the ACT or SAT. Im taking the SAT in just over a week, and still need to schedule a date to write the ACT. Does anyone know which schools perfer to look at? And wat is a good/very good score?

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Where could i find this Ping guide? The school im looking at is D-1AA, But not a very golf based school. Ive gone to the practice range and seem some of the players hit, and they dont impress me much, they all just seem like the number one man on any old highschool team, which describes me.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
just use google and type in ping college guide. I cant remember the site name... i nvr can, i always google it to get back to it:p

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Take both SAT's and ACT's. I took both, did well on them, and got into all the schools i applied to, even with a mediocre GPA(3.42)

SAT's are out of 2400, average is probably around 1400-1500, good is around 1800, and anything over 2000 will be well regarded

ACT's are out of 36, i'm guessing a 24 is probably around average, between 24-30 is good, anything over 30 is great

You can't hurt yourself by taking them, so i'd take both. It's probably the biggest factor in how i got into the schools i did, and probably would have gotten me into some more selective ones, but i decided not to go anyway:)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
19 is average on the ACT, in fact. That's kind of sad, though.

You're high ACTs will help, mine were 28(with a 32 in math, bloody science is killing me!).

Honestly if you are going to college next fall, and have this coming Spring for some golf, I'd say get in touch with some college coaches. Show them your track record(if they call back), and tell them that you are interested. They will probably want to watch you in the spring some, and decide from there.

And as you said, if you can play golf at that college, go for it. First two years are all the crap basics anyway, doesn't matter where you go, and 95% of your credits will transfer. Also, if you take off in collegiate golf your first two years, other schools will look at you.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Oh, and BTW, i would highly recommend studying SAT vocabulary before the test sometime. There is a lot of stuff on there that you dont come across in everday use, as oppose to the math which you learn in class and the writing skills that you hone throughout school, you are likely to see some words you havent seen before, go look up SAT vocab quizzes online, and dont do it at 1Am the night before the SAT's(like me). I guarantee you'll see some of those words(i saw 4) on the test.

ACT's have a science portion on them that i totally didnt know about until i actually got into the testing center, so be prepared for that, but overall, if you have taken Algebra II and Geometry, you have all the math skills, and you should have developed the reading/writing skills by your junior year, as well as the science(basic Chem/Bio stuff)

Jeff, how did you fare on the SATs?

I cant help on the golf perspective, but academia is closer to my strong suit(I had a 2230 on the SAT's and a 34 on the ACTs). Just make sure that you arent sacrificing a quality education for golf unless you are positive you want to make golf a career. If you get into the bigger schools that won't be an issue. Good luck!

Shiva

The Master of Sinanju
Aug 13, 2006
SAT's are out of 2400, average is probably around 1400-1500, good is around 1800, and anything over 2000 will be well regarded
When did the SAT's raise to 2400? I thought they were 1600...? They were when I took em in high school.... Geez I feel old...

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah, i feel no need to take the SAT, my act scores are better then all but 3 in my graduating class. The uni i wanna go to is a state college, all students accepted. Plus, if i major in psychology i would just be getting my bacholors here, then masters and phd(maybe) at more renowned school. Golf is something i may want to do for the rest of my life, be it just going to the nationwide tour, and finding out i dont like the concept of golf as a job, or even becoming a pga instructor.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
And collegiate golf is an incredibly different ball game than high school golf, so it's a good learning experience.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
And collegiate golf is an incredibly different ball game than high school golf, so it's a good learning experience.

Thats the one thing im missing being in canada.... Our skool golf is only spring and isnt really competition at most schools.... Theres a school in the next town their highest hdcp is a 3, we have 3 single digit players... (me being almost a 1 now, a 4 who doesnt play and an 8 who is the streakiest player in the world...) Just out for fun for us. But i get alot of tourney exp outside of skool.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Skool? Silly Canadian children.

Yeah, it's a tough ball game, but few freshman ever play much anyway so that they can get acclimated.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
yes, skool! we up here cant be bothered hyphenating properly and putting in 2 lettres when 1 will do. Its damn cold in our igloos eh.

Quit using big words like acclimated. My frozen canadian head cant comprehend it.:p

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
34?? christ neal!

i'm terrific at classes but suck at standardized tests... 4.25 GPA, 26 on the ACT so far, gonna take it again in december though, studying for it this time....

college golf wasn't high on my priority list b/c i didn't think i was good enough....but now that i'm making serious progress its hard to tell what's gonna happen...

best of luck crossfire