• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Job Suggestions

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've decided to start a new thread instead of adding to the poverty thread.
icon10.gif
I'm looking for a few job suggestions and here's my deal...

I've got a HS diploma and 4 classes shy of Business Management/Marketing dual degree. I've got some carpentry experience from when I was younger. Worked as a finisher/inspector in a casting plant for 3 years and did some training with Xray, Xyglo and Magnaflux. Worked in a textile mill for 3 years and was lead man for 3rd shift. I operated 6 different types of machines as well as mixing and measuring dye and chemicals for all machines. Also trained new employees on all the machines. I've worked off and on as a furniture mover/driver for a total of about 7 years. I know the business inside and out and was formerly the sales and estimates rep. for National Van Lines in the RI and Southern MA area.

Downside. I've got 2 felonies on my record, both from 1998 and both are violent crimes. I've been on probation and a suspended sentence since 1998 and will be off in Dec. 2008.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The good news is that it's been 10 years......you've stayed out of trouble since then, right?

If you are interested in trucking, NETTS has a location in Pawtucket.

Construction.....look towards commercial, residential is on the skids.
I might be able to get you a gig doing finish carpentry in Mystic. Big Assisted living project. Probably not long term.

Retail.....golf mega store or indoor range?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, that would make sense. Managerial Accounting, Law of Contracts, Statistical Analysis (actually optional and could be replaced with business math, which is a lower math than College Algebra so there's a possibility I could knock that one out alltogether) and Macroeconomics. Everything else is done if I'm not missing anything and I'm pretty sure I'm not. So remind me to go take one of those at least and get my POS car reinspected rather than ho another 3 drivers with my income tax refund.
icon10.gif

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Definately finish your classes, I always wish I would have went to college right out of high school, Those felonies definately hurt. sounds like you have alot of skills, try going back into one of them. With some of your skills you should be making more money.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The good news is that it's been 10 years......you've stayed out of trouble since then, right?

If you are interested in trucking, NETTS has a location in Pawtucket.

Construction.....look towards commercial, residential is on the skids.
I might be able to get you a gig doing finish carpentry in Mystic. Big Assisted living project. Probably not long term.

Retail.....golf mega store or indoor range?

Nothing they can pin on me anyway.
icon10.gif
Thanks for offer Sling but I think it would be a bit far to travel with my POS car leaking gas. It's not like I'm starving or anything (actually, I am, need to get some dinner, lol) but I feel like I'm not only underacheiving quite a bit here but also putting too much strain on my body for too little pay. I "make" $14/hr. but the W2 tells the true story.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The CDL is food for thought. I'd have to wait till the end of the year though. Looks like a 5 day work week should be a little over $40K per year.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Quit ho'ing clubs and take the 4 classes...you're smart enough that we shouldn't need to tell you this. Then get the best job you can with your degree, put aside some money, and start your own business.

With your wide range of experiences, this should be an easier path for you than a lot of others.

Now, meant with all due kindness and respect, get off your ass and finish your degree!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
What do you want to do eventually as a career path. First thoughts that come to mind are "Pimp" or "Lone Shark". :laugh:

While obviously finishing up the degree would be the obvious to me, I couldn't say it would necessarily make a difference without knowing what you intend to do. I am less than a year shy of a degree and had every intention of going back after putting my wife through her last couple years of college and making less moner her last year of college for two people than you made for one. Although after getting into the field I wanted to without a degree, and moving to the top of that field in less than 5 years by simply formulating a game plan, the degree became alot less important and actually pretty pointless. I was actually prouder to accomplish what I did without one, when everyone told me it was not possible. It is actually comical to think of going back for a degree, when it was heavily weighted towards Psychology, and I have spent almost all of my time in IS and IT. So I really took no classes in college that really apply to what I have done since leaving. It was simply a learning experience.

It would seem apparent your big concern is your criminal record, without knowing anything further about what you intend to pursue, I can't help but thing a degree would outweigh the record. Although if you have a goal plan and apply yourself properly to that plan, many people would overlook the record if you make them money.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
ever think of dental hygene? 2 years of class and you can end up making 25 bucks an hour right outta the gate. i dont think you need much to get in. oh and this might be said to hear, but i made 7000 with tips during the summer 6 months last year working at my clubhouse restaurant.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Ez......with the past record, you would be a shoe-in in Congress. Records don't mean that much after that long ago. People make mistakes, it's how they come back that matters. Seriously, I think finishing your College credits is the way to go. If all else fails, take the Postal exam. Pay is great. There has been a hiring freeze for years, so when all of us baby boomers retire at once, it will open up big time. Then, after a couple of years, write a comedy about the PO. You can't miss. :laugh:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
And what you choose to do... make SURE you will LIKE doing it. Nothing is worse then going to a job you hate. Going to a job you love and you'll advance because you'll be giving it your best. I was purely lucky getting into my field (metallurgy) and I absolutely love it. And always remember... :)laugh:)... if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.... :)D)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just put in an application online for a job listing locally with a freight company. Not that I really expect a response but making the effort to actually look and submit an app. is a start I guess.... and I did it all from my recliner with one hand in me drawers, how difficult was that.
icon10.gif

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I just put in an application online for a job listing locally with a freight company. Not that I really expect a response but making the effort to actually look and submit an app. is a start I guess.... and I did it all from my recliner with one hand in me drawers, how difficult was that.
icon10.gif

You really should have sent a picture of that along with the application. I'm sure that would have impressed them. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts