• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Job Suggestions

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I kinda agree with PA Jayhawk on this one.

Normally, I am really pushing education (to the younger guys) but at 30+ and the experience you have, I doubt it would really get you ahead. It's not like you are going to finish your degree and then tomorrow all of a sudden make huge dollars in a business related field.

I think the best bang for your buck is to stay in the warehousing/shipping/large plant type of industry. Your skills there will prob get you into more of a management level job before starting out with something new.

I wouldn't bother finishing the degree. I might take something entirely new tho - that's what I did. Worked out well for me.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I agree with those that said finish your degree. As far as the CDL goes, the pay is pretty good, but most companies, mine included, will make you run over the road for at least 6 months if now longer. And your uhhhhh, colorful past, may keep some of the bigger companies from hiring you. But the best of luck in your quest Ezra, you'll find something.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
And always remember... :)laugh:)... if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.... :)D)

That's always been my number 1 Mantra, and it has worked pretty damn well. Managed to get me a great paying job where I really don't work all that hard, in fact there are days where I don't do anything except bs with the boss.

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
i thought i was probably the only person on this site with a felony and then the biggest club ho comes out and admits to two makes me feel better about my situation. in a way thanks.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You're welcome Eli. I've admitted to it before in few threads and figure it's something that bothers me and I'm frankly embarassed about. If I can admit to it openly, even if it is just on a golf forum, it helps me to deal with it better in the real world. In a strange way the things I've experienced have made me a better person. I find I can deal with situations I have no control over better than most and stay pretty level headed, 10 days in segregation being fed through a hole in the door will do that. Being on edge for a while around a lot of agressive, criminally minded guys has given me the ability to stand up for myself and quite honestly I don't ever feel in "fear" of another human being in any situation, ever. That's probably the biggest change, being able to have no reservations about saying "hey, you know this is bull$hit and sorry pal but I'm not going for it.". I've got a lot more patience and ability to "ride it out" so to speak, after all, not much worse can happen short of being physically crippled or killed than losing everything and being sent to prison for 2years, then getting out and starting all over with just the shirt on your back, staying in a homeless shelter. I may not have a whole lot compared to other people but I'm thankful for what I've got and take pride that I came from where I did to get it and get here.

So while I'm not proud of what I've done and my record, I do my best not to let the shame of it drive me back into the cycle of behavior that started the whole thing in the 1st place. There's been a lot of rehabilitating counseling along the way as well that has given me a lot self reflective analysis. Being able to feel comfortable with myself, personal happiness, while also being able to always have consideration for others, realize that I and my agendas are no more important than those of others and avoid the narcissistic thinking that led me down that path, that's essentially my goal.

Good luck Eli.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Ez, in my industry there are two fields that are very important but have become a dying breed. 1) Land surveyor - work outdoors, need to be physically fit but it is not heavy labor. Common sense is the greatest asset. 2) Water well drilling. Outside work, more labor than surveying, and again common sense is the key to success here. I have done both - and both are exciting fields.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
geez i must have missed the felony thread.

i could add to that.although nothing major just agg.unlic. first degree(a measly .18).20 yrs ago(well 19 by court standards).back when i had a wee bit of a drinking prob.

like you i was young and made a mistake.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Heres an easy part time job- caddy. Just find a club you can go get a loop saturday and sunday mornings, you should be able to make $100 a pop every time you get out once you start double bagging. Its a nice supplement to a regular income. Dont be shy about caddying, most adults who dont start young think its a "kid" job, at my club over 50% of the regular caddies are adults.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've never heard of anywhere they have caddy's around my area. My boss is a member at a private club and even they use carts. Everywhere else I play is carts or walk.

Jun 24, 2006
I made 7000 with tips during the summer 6 months

I win:laugh:. And I don't get tips. Well. I do but...like..less than $50 for the year probably.

You should try to move over to the Proshop. I really enjoy what I do.

And I think that's EZ's key thing. Try to find something to do that dosn't make you want to hang yourself each morning you wake up.

EZ a golf shop somewere around you must be hireing, or looking for someone to help. I would go in and ask around all the Big box, and mom and pop shops in your area. You definatly have more knowledge about equipment than half the knobs in the big box stores.

It's a thought..no?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've been thinking about it with Dick's Sports. I figure being pretty close to having a degree might help the cause as well. They must pay at least $8.33/hr :laugh:

Jun 24, 2006
I've been thinking about it with Dick's Sports. I figure being pretty close to having a degree might help the cause as well. They must pay at least $8.33/hr :laugh:

Most places go commission don't they?

Sell like a Mofo and see how things go. (notice Rhyme)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Most places go commission don't they?

Sell like a Mofo and see how things go. (notice Rhyme)

You'll know you'll get commission if they come in with persimmon.
icon10.gif

I don't think a lot of places are going the commission route anymore. I also wouldn't mind getting into the clubwork end of it as well. We'll see. I have to do something else at some point. May as well be sooner than later.

🔥 Latest posts