• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

John Daly Suspended!!!

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
John Daly says he has been suspended for six months by the PGA TOUR for conduct that brought unwelcome publicity, including a night in a North Carolina jail to sober up.

"Is it fair that I got suspended? It's not fair in reality, but it's probably fair in perception," he told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

This is the second time the TOUR has suspended the two-time major champion, along with at least two other times he agreed to take time off to get his life in order. The 42-year-old Daly called this the lowest point in his wild 18-year career.

He has not played on the PGA TOUR since he missed the cut Oct. 17 in Las Vegas. Ten days later, police in Winston-Salem, N.C., said he appeared intoxicated outside a Hooters restaurant, and he was taken to jail to sleep it off. That led to a photo of Daly in an orange jail suit with his eyes half-open.

PGA TOUR spokesman Ty Votaw declined comment, even though Daly confirmed his suspension, citing the TOUR's longtime policy of not discussing fines or suspensions.

Daly decided to go public "to be fair to my fans and tournament organizers" during the first three months of the season when he typically plays on the West Coast and in Florida. His last victory was the Buick Invitational in 2004, and Daly said his five-year exemption as a past champion runs out this year.

He said he would continue playing the European Tour, starting with a three-week swing in the United Arab Emirates.

"This is the lowest I've ever been," Daly said. "There's always light with me. Right now, my home tour is probably Europe. And I love the European Tour. I always have. But my home is the United States. That's where I would rather play."

Daly isn't even sure when the suspension began, but he hopes it ends in May. He said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem sent a letter to his agent, Bud Martin of SFX Sports, who passed along the news.

"Tim and his staff have to do what they do," Daly said. "Truly and honestly, I wish Tim would get to know the facts better before he makes a decision. I would love to sit down and have a nice talk with him, tell him what really happened. But perception is reality in the world, and sometimes they have to do what they have to do."

Martin would only say the suspension was to end in the spring, adding "it remains confidential with the PGA TOUR. He said Daly wants to use 2009 to turn his career around.

"This is the last negative thing that's been gnawing at him," Martin said. "We didn't make any requests for exemptions, and John wanted to be clear with them. He wanted to play in their tournaments, but he can't. He didn't want to let his fans down. He wanted them to know the truth."

Daly said he hopes to play well enough to earn sponsor exemptions on the PGA TOUR when the suspension is lifted.

"John's New Year's resolution is do everything he can to make positive things happen on the golf course," Martin said. "I hope he can walk the walk. The talk sounds great. But it's going to be him working hard and staying out of trouble, and having success on the golf course."

Daly became an overnight sensation when he won the 1991 PGA Championship at Crooked Stick as the ninth alternate, introducing his powerful "grip it and rip it" style to golf. Four years later, he won the British Open at St. Andrews. But his career has been dragged down by two trips to alcohol rehab, four marriages, gambling losses and other off-course episodes that have made him an attraction beyond his prodigious length off the tee.

Asked why he was suspended, Daly pointed to four incidents during the year.

After a rain delay at Innisbrook during the Florida swing, he emerged from a Hooters hospitality tent with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden as his caddie for the final seven holes of the round, prompting a split with swing coach Butch Harmon.

While promoting a golf course in Missouri, Daly did a regional television interview wearing only blue jeans -- no shirt, no shoes -- while showing how to play one of the holes. Then at the Buick Open, during a pro-am that featured Kid Rock in overalls, Daly revved up the fans by hitting one drive off the top of a beer can.

He drew the most attention from the night in jail. Daly told the AP that his friends called police when they feared he had passed out, unaware he sleeps with his eyes open when he's had too much to drink. Daly was not charged, rather put in jail under a state law called "Assistance to Intoxicated Persons." But his jail photo was an Internet sensation.

"The picture didn't help," Daly said. "People think I got arrested when I didn't get arrested. It is what it is. I've got to deal with it and go on. Whatever reason the tour has, maybe a positive will come out of this."

Daly has not had full status on the PGA TOUR the last two years. He finished No. 232 on the money list this year with $56,017 in 17 events, missing the cut 10 times and withdrawing twice.

He has played four times since the PGA TOUR suspended him, tying for 17th in the UBS Hong Kong Open and missing the cut at all three tournaments he played in Australia. In the Australian Open, he lost his patience with a fan who put a camera in his face during the round, smashing the camera against a tree.

The publicity cost him his endorsements. Daly said his only deals are with Focus Golf Systems, which signed a 15-year agreement in 2006 to sell his golf clubs and apparel in Wal-Mart stores; and Fly Emirates, part of a deal that will pay his travel expenses when he plays the Abu Dhabi Championship, Qatar Masters and Dubai Desert Classic later this month.

"This has been the worst year," he said in the New Year's Eve interview. "One day left."

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I would love to see Daly get his priorities straight... I don't think it's going to happen though :(

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I would love to see Daly get his priorities straight... I don't think it's going to happen though :(

+1, it's a shame to think of all the talent he has wasted, all the great years of golf he cheated us out of seeing, :confused:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Wasted talent no doubt, but I won't ignore him, its not like he has killed an animal or mugged an old lady is it?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Any attention this fellow gets just enables him. Can't we all ignore him and let him dry out?
Right on Claire
Golfed last year with a gentleman who played a pro-am with Daly. He was ok on the course but was a "train wreck" at the hospitality tent. Right now he certainly feels "enabled". For him alcohol is not a crutch but a "gurney to be a casket".

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Who's John Daly?

I remember a guy by that name that used to play on Tour. Huge drives, and a killer short game to boot.

I wonder what ever happened to that chap.....

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Who's John Daly?

I remember a guy by that name that used to play on Tour. Huge drives, and a killer short game to boot.

I wonder what ever happened to that chap.....

R35

The huge drives turned into a Huge belly,

And the killer short game turned into killer shots of whiskey. :confused:

Let's hope this suspension will help him get his act together?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Sorry, but if he doesn't care about himself, his reputation, his golf game, etc, then why in the hell should I? Granted he isn't Michael Vick & killing dogs, but if he wants to act like an ass then he deserves to be treated as one.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Let's hope this suspension will help him get his act together?

I'd have a better chance finding a sasquatch mounting a unicorn in Atlantis than John turning his life around.

It's kinda like huge obese people. When you step on the scale, and you're, oh, 600 lbs, isn't that a sign that you shouldn't give it the old college try to get to 850?

Not gonna happen. Sasquatch mounting a unicorn.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
...its not like he has killed an animal....

Not really sure what that has to do with what type of human being he is...unless you are talking about torturing animals which is an entirely different situation that requires alternative vocabulary to describe than 'killed'.

Back on topic...meh...i really dont care anymore.

The tour is doing what they feel is going to serve their reputation the best, it has nothing to do with John "getting his life back in order" i doubt they give a flying hoot....theyre just getting sick of hearing "Why are you letting this man play when he is getting drunk and bringing bad attention to the TOUR"

SO to shut up the people that are pumping money into the tour, they suspend him.

Now i obviously have no idea whether this is true or not but its how i feel.

latiger12

Jan 1, 2009
What a shame. I like Daly he just has some demons.

Perhaps your spam could help his demons..send it to him, not us.

🔥 Latest posts