• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Johnny Miller sees the ball

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
thank you eclark----I guess I'm going to go to Vitense and see the results.

When hitting into garage net I have no idea of the results but I sure like the feel and sight of the Ball (blurred as it is) coming off the club. maybe its just getting my head in the right position, weight shift or something but if it proves to work I'm likin' it.
Yeah, its definatly a simple change and if it works theres no reason not to try it...

Like i said those last five balls made me want to grab another basket and keep going but the range was 2-4 people deep and i was not going to wait...i need to write this down somewhere so i remember it when i get back to swinging the clubs.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
IMO his qualifications are impeccable, with 25 wins, 2 majors, 105 top tens, and 2 Ryder Cup appearances.

I like Miller so much I hear him giving me crap when I play! Yeah, he's arrogant, but I dare say any of us can't predict exactly how we'd be if we had accomplished what he did.

Interesting. In one thread you find folks saying the Miller's qualifications are impeccable with 25 wins and 2 majors, but on the same day on another thread someone else calls Mickelson a "loser" which is why everyone hates Mickelson. Mickelson has 34 wins, 3 majors and more Ryder Cups.

Miller is an interesting dude. While I like his unfiltered approach to broadcasting, his endless stream of filler material trying to remind everyone how great he was reminds me a lot of Pete Rose. I loved watching Pete Rose play baseball, but listening to him talk for more than a 30 second sound bite was a torturous stream of self promotion. If Johnny could find a way to filter out the self promotion portion of the telecast, I would enjoy his broadcasts more.

Yes Miller was one of the greats on the course, but I rather not hear him talk about how great he was every 5 minutes when I am trying to follow the tournament he is broadcasting.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
If Johnny could find a way to filter out the self promotion portion of the telecast, I would enjoy his broadcasts more.

Yes Miller was one of the greats on the course, but I rather not hear him talk about how great he was every 5 minutes when I am trying to follow the tournament he is broadcasting.

Reminds me a lot of Joe Theisman, I liked listening to him overall, but he would always bring up how great he was or how he would do something, etc.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
There is an old adage of focusing on the back of the ball (a very precise spot) for as long as you can. Probably similar thinking here.

As for JM, I have no opinion whatsoever as I don't watch US golf. He does go down as having one of the best rounds ever played, his 63 at Oakmount. He might still be a tit tho. :confused:

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
I like miller there isn't a filter on his mouth. He probably did see the ball leave the face or so he thought. Kirby Puckett
claimed he could see the stitches on a baseball when he was batting well.

on this note. i think ill point out that a few years ago i was watching the news and sports came on and they had an interesting portion about the american female softball team. they said that whenever they took batting practice that there was a number on the ball. and before they could swing they had to say the number and the color. i know that the baseball is traveling 90ish miles per hour and the softball on average only travels around 65 or so mph. but that takes a great deal of hand eye coordination. i am only saying this because it makes what johnny miller says seem more possible. that and i honestly believe i can see it also.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Miller does make sense. However, the other 99% of the time, he's an ass.

I tend to err on the side of caution with him. For the wisdom that he seems to have gained from playing the game at a high level, he sure puts himself on a pedastal when he relays to to the masses. If he was more genuine and not such a "douche" as I like to put it, I think his words would carry to more of a broader audience. As of right now, he's an arrogant prick IMO.

He's no Nicklaus (who's arrogant in his own right, but carries himself much better that JM), or Palmer, or any of the old legends that have graced the greens of the PGA in the past.

R35

As evidenced by the posts here...opinions will vary. Having seen Johnny play near the end of his career in the 70's was just a real treat. Just as the fire for golf was burning in my gut.....he was on his way out.

I love Johnny for not mincing words. In this PC world of worrying about who will get offended he just says what he's thinking and I respect that immensely. Perhaps he is just my kind of 'douche bag' as you put it. We are ALL douche bags to somebody somewhere.

My ultimate golf broadcast panel: Miller, Tirico(best sports anchor on TV for my $)Faldo(who I didn't care for as a player).

On course: Maltby and Feherty(sp?)

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If I'm swinging really well, I think that my head has cleared before I have hit the ball anyway. In other words, I'm looking downrange before impact. I have to work on clear everything before I hit the ball, and turning my head helps the rest of my body turn.

So, in short, no.:D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Tiger stepped into the booth today and they asked him to do a little play by play... "You want me to Johnny Miller it... he should probably hole this, no?". I laughed, as I recall it was a ridiculously shortsided bunker shot. I guess it's no secret to the pros.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online