• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

JR is on the up...

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
...in the world rankings and in my estimations.

At the start of the season I had Justin Rose in the same bracket as Ian Polter. Just another 'average' Tour Pro with a reason for being famous other than his current golf game. Poulter for his stupid clothes & Rose for his efforts as a teenager at Birkdale. Well this season he has proved me wrong, struggling with back problems all season he has put in a decent account in the Majors, won a couple of events, the European order of merit & moved into the World top ten! The fellas got game & spirit and I'd like to see him stay fit the whole of next season and hopefully push on to the next level. It would have been easy for him to have had an average season and blame the injury but he battled each time he played & he's won a fan in me. I fully expect to see him play a key part at the Ryder cup and the Open is back at Birkdale this year, so who knows maybe he will move into the Elite level of the game at the place he first burst onto the scene.

Poulter on the other hand may die his hair a different colour each event he plays in next year, WOW!!!

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Lol, when I read JR, I thought straight to Jeremy Roenick... Hockey fans shall understand.

No doubt Rose is a top 10 player in the world, even with said back problems, he churned out a bunch of great tournaments, and how many top tens did he have this year? Most of the big tourneys this year he was up there and contending.

Cheers to Rose, I doubt he'll go much longer w/o a major victory. *knock on wood*.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good for him. I like the guy a lot. Hopefully he'll keep going strong next year. He's my favorite TM guy.
icon10.gif

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Yep all credit to JR showing the mettle to elevate himself into the World's Top 10 ... apart from injuries etc you also have to remember this guy missed his first 17 cuts as a pro after all the broo hah of his run at The Open as an amateur ... he has that unquantifiable talent of supreme mental fortitude and self belief ... on a separate but related note ... I've said it before and say it again ... watch out for Simon Dyson next year .. I've really taken to this guy .. wears his heart on his sleeve ... even if he does look like Duncan Norville .. remember him .. Chase me I'm chocolate !! ...

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
What is Simon Dyson's background Dave?

Hiya Bravo .. Mr Dyson was the quintesential journeyman pro .. had a reasonable amateur career culminating in a Walker Cup appearance. From memory, his pro career didn't set the world alight and on the advice of his agent, former tour pro Chubby Chandler he set off for a stint on the Asian Tour. Success duly arrived and bolstered by his new found confidence has once again tackled the Euro Tour with a good deal of success, he actually showed very well in the USPGA this year. Having made and lost the playoff to JR yesterday it ensured him invites to The Open & I think The Masters next year.

He received a wildcard to Nick Faldo's "Seve Trophy" team and was a revelation, a steely competitor who wasn't afraid to display a bit of emotion. I love a little quirk of his, somewhat similar to El Tigre where he walks after a putt some 2 feet short of the hole knowing that he has drained it.

Needless to say he maybe a one hit wonder, but I like the guys game, he showed a lot of fight this weekend and hopefully 2008 will see him progress further. Hopefully he will be my "I told ya so" player for 2008 and will defintely figure in all my predictions in the Shottalk Majors ;)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks Dave...Shottalk comes through again. I love getting the inside scoop on up and comers....I'll watch for him both on TV and in the papers. Our local paper prints the results of the Euro Tour events every Monday morning...and I watch the results.

b

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks Dave...Shottalk comes through again. I love getting the inside scoop on up and comers....I'll watch for him both on TV and in the papers. Our local paper prints the results of the Euro Tour events every Monday morning...and I watch the results.
b

Prid pro quo ... gimme a name Stateside that'll be the "I told you so" .. I saw the guy George McNeill(?) in tour qualifying last year and he ran away with by 6 shots or so .. I was interested to see how he's cope with the PGA tour, great to see him win last month .. so while asking you a question I'll answer it also .. George McNeill , others candidates will be most welcome

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Ive always had a huge rap for Rose. I've lost a bit of money on him in the majors the last few years, but I think if I stick with him I'll end up in front in the long run. I think he definitely has the talent to win majors, and hopefully this win will give him the confidence to go on with the job that has been lacking. I'd rate him on the tier just behind Tiger, and ahead of other pretenders like Sergio and Adam Scott when it comes to the majors. I think the Open is the most likely event for him, although I think he has the game to win any of them.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Ive always had a huge rap for Rose. I've lost a bit of money on him in the majors the last few years, but I think if I stick with him I'll end up in front in the long run. .................. I think the Open is the most likely event for him, although I think he has the game to win any of them.

Hummmmm ... The Open returns to Royal Birkdale .. scene of past glories for JR .. ya never know ...

🔥 Latest posts