• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

JS wants new grips, and would like your input.

What would you suggest?

• Lamkin Crossline 580 reb/blue $3.39

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lamkin Crossline 580 $2.89

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Golf Pride DD2 $5.35

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Golf Pride Tour Velvit $3.00

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Multi Compound $7.55

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other. ---------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 24, 2006
I don’t really like the grips I have now so I want to change them.

What I have now are the stock Wilson Staff cords. They seem a little small in my hand and there not lined up with the club face like I want them.

I like cords though. Was leaning to Multi Compounds. Then I heard good things about the Crossline. Then I saw the price and was into them even more.

Probably 263 threads like this one but one more shouldn’t make earth explode.

If you would, please vote or mention the grips you like and leave any suggestions besides going to golf town etc. to see what I like.

I need something to stay in my hand, no slipping. Wouldn’t mind having something soft either.

Might order 20 Crosslines since there pretty cheap and see how things go.

Crossline red's look neat to.

Have at it boys.

Also..if a grip was “ribbed”..what is the difference from a ..non “ribbed” grip?.

I think I have an idea of what it could be..I’m thinking the grip is slightly..triangular? sorta like a putter?

THANKS,

JS

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Tour Velvet.

Proven, classic and long wearing. They come in any size you'd need, and any configuration of corded, non corded or ribbed.

You really can't go wrong.

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am a GP decade user as well. If you want to try a similar grip at half the price, try the Avon DX2 cords. I have one on a gap wedge and there is not too much difference between it and the GP.

Check them out here: Link to Avon DX2

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I started using the GP Tour Wrap Full Cord a year ago September. I plan on maybe trying the Multi Compound on a couple clubs in Mid Summer, but even based on the positive things I have heard, I am not confident I will want to switch, and by mid summer I may change my mind in even trying them out.

Prior to this I would replace grips once a year playing about 2 rounds a week. This year I have been playing 4 rounds a week for 16 months now (well maybe not 4 a week for 3 of those months), and only notice slight wear on maybe 2-3 clubs. FYI, if you plan on getting the full cords, they are not even close to what I would consider soft but you get used to them, and they are not $3 a piece for the Corded anywhere I have found. More like $6.25 for the Midsize Full Cord. I got them mainly for the severe problems I would have in rain or the heat and humidity the other 4 months out of the year. I have not experiences a problem with gripping a club in these situations since changing. I played one specific round where we were actually ringing out our gloves between rounds, yet I did not have a big problem with getting a grip.
http://www.golfsmith.com/products/FC171AM

edit 1 - FYI, they also have a 1/2 cord which may be more in the line of what you are looking for?
http://www.golfpride.com/grips/cord/tourvelvet_cord_half.aspx

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
tour velvets or crosslines, doesn't matter too much really. both are great, i've found the crosslines to do a tad better when wet so i voted for them.

once i pick up my new wedges i'm going to redo my whole set in jumbo or oversize of the TV's or lamkins

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
i liked the feel of the lamkin perma-wrap full cord, alot of grip

pho_grip_perma-sof-cord.gif

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
For the prices you quoted, the GP Tour Velvets seem the best value. I'm still set on Multicompounds though in the next couple of weeks

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Lamkin crossline black (do not get the one with the white paint on it, it is not near as tacky)
Identical to the the GP tour velvet but last 2-3 times longer.

PS- a note about the Avon DX2. They show wear very fast. I have also found they are very inconsistent in weight from grip to grip. I no longer even offer them for these reasons. I stick with GP and Lamkin, the 2 best in the biz.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
PS- a note about the Avon DX2. They show wear very fast. I have also found they are very inconsistent in weight from grip to grip. I no longer even offer them for these reasons. I stick with GP and Lamkin, the 2 best in the biz.

Interesting. What kind of weight difference were you getting with the DX-2's?

I only had the DX-2 on my Gap Wedge and noticed no significant wear issues compared the the GP, but then again this was after using Winn Excels which really had wear issues after a few months of heavy use.

🔥 Latest posts