• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Judge my golf swing (Video)

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
I don't use a lot of power on my drives at all. I just like to make sure I get solid contact (hence why I don't get the club parallel). But tell me what you think. Ball placement, swing, etc. I've never had lessons or anything so any outside advice is nice :)
Hammer away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_aDPhxgPUc

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Well... it's not quite Jeev Singh ugly... quite!

lol jk jk :)

Looks pretty decent to me. I bet you would gain some consistency if you could quiet that lower body/legs a bit on your backswing.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Might just be the camera angle, but you look very tense before your backswing almost like your elbows are locked....the swing also looks very tense and stiff, i would try to loosen up a bit and let the swing flow....

But then...i'm not that great so take it for what its worth.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Gotta go with whats been said already. It looks almost like your arms are locked. Loosen up a bit and you'll probably gain some distance.

But all in all, not a bad looking swing.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Stiff legs lead to a sway, relax. From this angle it looks like a decent start position.

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
One thing I am going to work on this year is slowing down my back swing. Yours is pretty fast. I notice tour players have slow back swings so they can coil as much as possible and then unleash the big dog.

I too agree that your lower body has quite a bit of movement.

I will say I have seen much worse.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Outside of the fact that your obviously have no hope as a UNC fan I will do my best as an engineer from down the road. To add consistency and a bit of power, loosen the arms. It has been said a lot already, but a loose muscle will allow the club to swing faster and more consistent than a tight muscle. Then unless you are over 50 or are playing with persimmon woods that left heel shouldn't come off of the ground on the backswing. The more you move in a golf swing the more areas you have to get off on each shot, thus the more inconsistent you will become. Lastly, slowing down your take away is a good suggestion. You want it to take you 2x as long to get the club back as it does to complete the entire rest of the swing. Good luck, I know this is a lot for a UNC fan to digest in one sitting so feel free to break it into bits and pieces. GO WOLFPACK!!! hehehe

OP
N

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
THanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate and will welcome more! As for the consistancy part, I find myself pretty consistant off the tee. I never use my driver though, I always stick with my 5 wood (I hit it soooo much better) but I do lack on the distance. I'm trying to get the rest of my game solid before I start working on distance. However, I'd love to get another 30 yards out of my drive. I have no idea what my club speed is but I've did the calculator things online and calculated that it is roughly 95. I usually swing 3/4 speed so that I make sure I hit the ball solid. I'll definitly work on my left leg the next time I'm out!
*As for the Wolfpack reply......I'm sure they have great seats to see the NCAA tourny from....especially being at home. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
THanks for the advice. I greatly appreciate and will welcome more! As for the consistancy part, I find myself pretty consistant off the tee. I never use my driver though, I always stick with my 5 wood (I hit it soooo much better) but I do lack on the distance. I'm trying to get the rest of my game solid before I start working on distance. However, I'd love to get another 30 yards out of my drive. I have no idea what my club speed is but I've did the calculator things online and calculated that it is roughly 95. I usually swing 3/4 speed so that I make sure I hit the ball solid. I'll definitly work on my left leg the next time I'm out!
*As for the Wolfpack reply......I'm sure they have great seats to see the NCAA tourny from....especially being at home. :)
I'm also sure they'll enjoy watching Whinesbrough NOT get the title this year. I certainly will!

NCSU grad...don't hate UNC, do hate Whiney boy! :prop:

OP
N

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Whinesbrough? Very original. :p Kinda like when we used to call reddick "GAY GAY Reddick". :) But what ever happened to Mr. Julius Hodge? He had such promise. LOL. The only thing cool about NCSU is that how Sydney rocks that red coat........:faintthud
Ok, maybe not....but at least you can commend me on TRYING to find something good about NCSU. :D

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Agree that you look a little tense and need to slow down your backswing. Of course alot of that could come from being a Carolina fan and not knowing what tarheel team is going to show up. Given their talent level, if they do NOT win the tournament this year, you guys need to fire ol Roy boy, cause if he can not win it all with what he has this year, he will never do it. I am a huge Wolfpack fan(pops went to school there, even played baseball for em), never went there, I went to the BEST UNC school, UNCW. You may now resume your normally scheduled thread already in progress.

OP
N

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Radford could beat us in the first rd and we wouldnt fire roy. lol. He won the national title the first year he was there :)

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Very strong left hand grip and consequently the right hand as well leading to a shut face on takeaway and a non rotation of the face which then leads to an under active arm swing dragging an over rotating upper body and the this drags the lower body along due to you being unable to swing the club back any further without the correct forearm rotation, for a tall guy you would hit it a lot longer by facilitating your levers, but by holding the club in this way you are limiting performance.

Get a more conventional grip and this will look looser straight away as the present grip forces your forearms closer and locks them in. if you start off bad it will always mean compensations at some point

OP
N

nc2tarheels

Mar 15, 2009
Matt was Horrible! He had a nice recruiting class because of the prestige of the college. We couldn't do squat with him and then Roy comes in and BAM....national title. Roy's guys look just as good!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.