• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

(Junior) Club Championship

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
At my club, our Junior Club Championship is 36 holes qualifying, with the best 16 scratch scores from the 36 holes qualifying for a matchplay knockout competition. I'm was off 14 when the qualifying was played, and there's quite a lot of guys off single figures, with the best being off 3. I played great golf in the qualifying rounds, qualifying in 6th with 75-76 (Par 69). The highest guy to qualify was off 17, but a couple of guys off 7/8 didn't qualify...

I got a good draw for the matchplay, getting a guy off 10 in round 1 and a guy off 9 in the 2nd round. I won both matches comfortably, playing fantastic (7&6 in the 1st round and 5&3 in the 2nd round). Unfortunately I got the 3 handicapper in the semi final... I was expecting to get beaten badly since it's scratch, but started birdie, par, birdie, eagle, and was 4 up after 4... I had a few brief spells where I lost some holes, but managed to keep my lead for the round (somehow) and won 3&2. The guy I was playing (off 3) was gutted, especially being favourite to win and qualifying with 67-70 (1 Under)... I got to the final...

In the final, I got a guy off 8 who had played awesome golf to get there, beating a guy off 11, a guy off 5 and a guy off 7. I played the best golf of my life, and actually holed some putts which helped.

This guy hit's the ball a mile... He's probably one of the longest hitters in the whole club, and pretty accurate, but his putting and short game are what's stopping him going lower.

On the first, I had 5 iron into the green after a good drive... He had 52* wedge... On the 2nd (Par 3), I hit 5 wood... He hit 7 iron...

We both made par at the first, and I holed my putt on 2nd for a birdie to go 1up. On the 3rd, he drove into a greenside bunker and didn't get out the first time.I made par, after hitting 56* to about 8 feet with my 2nd... He missed a 9-10 ft putt for par, so I had 2 putts for the hole, and went 2up.

At the 4th, I came up short with my 2nd shot and he put his to 3 ft... 1up. The 5th was downwind yesterday, and my opponent drove the green. I hit an awesome drive, but still had 8 iron to the green. Made par, but he 2 putted for birdie. All Square. I birdied 6, for the win and went 1 up.

The 7th is stroke index 1, with a big hill in the fairway. I came up short of the hill so had a blind 2nd, but he carried it and had about a 7 iron to the green. I had to hit 5 wood to go for the green and hit it awesome, but when I got up, the ball was nowhere... Couldn't find it and he was on with his 2nd, quite close. I conceded the hole. A/S again. On 8, I hit a poor drive and lost the ball. He would have had a short iron to the green, so I conceded the hole to go 1dn.

Hit a poor drive on 9, but played 8 iron onto the green and sunk about a 40 foot putt for birdie to go A/S... (Eventful front 9)...

On the back 9, I played even better. Went Par (Won), Par (Lost to a birdie), Par (Won), Bogey (Halved), Par (Halved), Bogey (Halved), and birdied 16 to go Dormie 2...

17 is a driveable par 4, 290 yards. Must have been adrenalie, cause I usually have a 56* wedge in, but yesterday was pin high on the left, and outdrove my opponent for the 1st time that round. I got up & down for birdie and my opponent birdied it as well, so I won 2&1...

I played 15 holes (2 N/Rs and didn't play 18th) in 2 under par, and my handicap at the moment is 12. My opponent played under his handicap for the round, but I just played better.

I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near the final, and only had a small chance of even qualifying, but I managed to play great golf and win the thing...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Weel done Scotty mate. Although I must say you are a right Bandit playing off 14 :D Have you been genral played down since your victory?

OP
Scotty01292

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Weel done Scotty mate. Although I must say you are a right Bandit playing off 14 :D Have you been genral played down since your victory?

Well, in the medal today, I started 6,7... And made 7 bogeys on the back 9... Can't do it in strokeplay...

FezFairway

Jun 24, 2007
Nice one bud!

our club championship is one by the same dude EVERY year

He is at scratch though

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Outstanding, Scotty!

That was a serious string of great golf, way to go!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.