• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Junior clubs for beginner

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Howdy everyone,
I have a question, that I hope somebody can answer.

My son is turning 7 next month, and since he's been hitting me up to 'go golfing', I figured I'd get him a set of junior clubs.

He's a complete beginner, though when he was a bit younger I did find a mini driver at a thrift store that he used to smack a practice ball around a bit, and even though he had no form at all, he still managed to hit the ball now and then. :)

I'm currently looking at a set of Tommy Armour RAM G-Force junior's, which includes a driver, a hybrid fairway wood, two irons, a mallet-style putter, and a bag, for about $60.

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RAM-GOLF-JUNIOR-G-FORCE-GOLF-SET-W-BAG-AGES-7-10_W0QQitemZ7235756420QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The clubs are sized for ages 7-10, so I figured that if I get him in on the lower end of the size, he at least could be able to use them for a couple years before he completely outgrows them.

I mainly want to get him something that's forgiving , so that frustration doesn't set in early (I know I have problems with it at my age), because I'd really like him to get some enjoyment out of it, so that hopefully it becomes a lifelong hobby... plus it'll give us some Dad & Son time out on the course (when he's older).

Do the RAM's look okay in that regard, or are there better (more forgiving) clubs out there at around the same price range? I don't really want to spend a whole lot, since he's probably going to bash the heck out of them, and I'm not sure how fast he's going to grow, so he may in fact need a new set sooner than expected. Mainly I just want something that'll get him into the sport, yet be fairly forgiving while he improves his form.

Thanks.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
They seem fine although I should warn you if he gets hooked at such a young age you have got alot of new clubs,green fees,videos,training aids and books to buy.You've got to be prepared other wise it'll bite you in the ass

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
LOL... thanks for the tips Adam... some things I hadn't considered. ;)

I think he's already addicted, though... we play video golf all the time together, and he knows all the terminology (in fact he's known it since he was three). It was kinda cute when he'd say something like "You sliced into that bunker dad," or "You're chipping for bogey". :D

I do appreciate the feedback... I figured that with all the golf junkies at this site that everybody's kid would have a set of clubs too, so I'd get plenty of advice... but I'm happy for some affirmation anyway. :)

🔥 Latest posts