• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just a question to hear ideas on price point of Manufacturers.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I think it is past trying them out. I demoed them every time I would go into a store last year. I don't even do that anymore because I don't want to think about them. It is now just a matter of whether I want to pull the trigger. I would not even likely try any other clubs at this point.

A big part of wanting to change is how they fit my "Mind's eye". My i3+'s were that way when I got them, and now the offset is distracting and I even prefer less and less topline and sole width. Even though it is likely a swing issue, I can't help but think the offset is the cause anytime my draw goes to a hook, and the fact I can't fade the ball. Hence a confidence issue.

Looking back, I started out with Wilson Tour Cast irons that I picked up for around $200 unfitted, with little offset, small top, small sole. Probably more club than a beginner should use, but I was naive to golf, and after time I played them well. I can't help but think even though I was fitted to Pings, they match my game less and I took a step backwards in getting them. My game certainly did, and it took a couple years to recover. I imagine stepping into the MP60's would take little work. Just a matter of when I get tired of holding the trigger. My birthday is the end of this month and at this point I could be starting the season with them if I am not completely comfortable with the Pings when I step on the course.

I think this is funny because I went to G2s for one season and felt the exact same way. It took almost no work to move into the MP 60s, they were a natural fit, and it sounds like you are in the same boat! Hope that birthday turns out well :laugh: !

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, it's probably because the Pings are "players" clubs and the Mizzies are "game improvement" clubs... (sorry, I just couldn't resist)... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Golf club price

I usually wait for a year before I buy anything. Price drops a lot and during new year they have dumping sales here in Asia where sometimes new clubs are sold at great prices. For example I waited for a year to buy my RAC LT2 and I bought it for 50% of the original price, Titleist Newport 2 bought is at 70% of the original price etc, TM rescue dual bought it at 60% of the orginal price, callaway x tour at 50% of original price.

With these equipments (plus without a driver because I am waiting to see which would be the right price for bang) I still play better than some friends who change equipments everytime something new is released and they also started golf decades ahead of me...

I invest more on a coach though...

Simple math. Few hundred dollars more spent on 10 yard gain for example? First you have to sell your current club at a horribly depreciated rate, then fork out more $ on top of that to buy a new club. Then sometimes change shaft/grip etc... Just for mere 10 yards? Just play one club higher... I think it's not worth it.

Just a personal opinion... Yes, and clubs are over priced... The material cost for the golf companies to make the heads, shafts, grips etc are at max 15% of what we are buying for. And how do I know that? Because I am in that line of business (raw material end). Pay for marketing, stick a company logo, pay PGA players a bomb to use their new equipments,and blabber about new tech they invested millions of dollars on, then to the distributers, then to the retailers and the price shoots up, up and up...

No doubt technology is improved but not at the rate of 1 year...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You can bet that all club manufacturer's are paying some Marketing experts pretty hefty salaries to promote and price their new lines. Another P of marketing is place. It takes time to work your way into the same category and demand the same price as the big dogs. It's taken Cleveland a few years to get to similar prices as the big guns, they still haven't made it all the way. If they Ping drivers are that much more than last year's line came out at... they are trying to say their Rapture can compete with the Superquad and FT-5 pricewise. This strategy can obviously backfire but can also increase brand prestige. It's easier for a company with a history of performing products, like Ping than a company with a shorter history, like say Nickent to do the same. Adams had a good "idea" this year by offering the Pro hybrid with basically the best hybrid shaft available in an OEM.

Another industry where this is easily seen is the car industry. Take Hyundai for example. What is the name of that $30,000+ luxury line? Not easy to produce a cheap, bare bones gas sipper for years and then try to jump in with the big boys. I suppose this is also where the whole Lexus, Infinity, Acura idea came from. How long did it take you to figure out they were really just pimped out Toyota's, Nissan's, and Honda's? Would you pay 50K for a Honda?

SunnyDaze

Dec 11, 2006
I quit playing golf for many years but came back to it a few years ago. More disposable income? Yes, when I am employed ( ;-) - telecom). Do I just want a new driver because everyone else has one? Not intentionally. I like being a little different. I wear ties no one else would wear. I play Miura blades partly because I love them and they work for me, and a small part because very few others do. I treated myself to them after playing Hogan Apex Edge Pros for about 3 years and they needed either refinishing or replacing (too much sand on my range). Their price point was higher than most other clubs, but not substantially, and I could not find a decent used set after looking for a few months - so retail was well worth it.

As for drivers/woods, I didn't go looking for new ones to keep up with the Joneses, rather I needed something to do one Saturday afternoon after playing a round in the morning, and accidentally came across something that really felt good. And if it is better, and helps just a little bit, and I can afford it, why not? Yes I could save some money by waiting, but that little bit of help will not be there for me all that time. If the price they want is affordable (for the person doing the buying), then apart from the extra cost for an earlier year or so of use, why not? Would I like to spend less? Certainly - but not if I had to wait a year+! (assuming of course that it compares better to my current driver)

After seeing all the stories about the forged clubs on ebay, I don't think I'll buy another club from there without knowing the seller. Me, I prefer to look at the club, hold it in my hands, try it out, and see exactly what I am getting before I spend my money (foolishly to some perhaps). Getting a perfect new club isn't a sure thing either though, and with the thinner and thinner metals, a stress fracture on a club might be invisible to the eye, but would certainly afect the playability. With a new club from a dealer, you usually have a warranty or some sort of replacement policy. With used clubs you are taking a chance, and not everyone treats their clubs well. I am also a believer in you get what you pay for, for the most part.

If the market will bear the higher prices being seen again, then more power to the companies selling the clubs with the higher price points. At least the stockholders are hopefully also getting something out of the deal. If the market won't keep paying the higher prices, they will come down again.

It's not like I'm looking for a holy grail, and I have no expectation that a single club (or a complete set) will be solely responsible for getting me down to where I want my index to be this year. I do try to continue with lessons, and work on other aspects of my game when I can find the time. I believe this is very important - but my pro moved a couple months back and I haven't yet found another I like.

Having the right tools for the individual and the job at hand though will always get the best results. Sometimes you have to pay for the right tools when you need them, whatever the price!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I like the MP-60's as well, but they are still out of my value price range even used on eBay. They need to come down a bit before I even consider it. Nice irons, though. I know VT plays them and it was his review that gave me the inspiration to try them.

I gave someone inspiration?

Anyhow, here's my .02, I 100% agree with R35.

I personally don't give a damn what's in my bag. In the past 5 years I've played 7 million combinations of irons, dirvers, putters and my scores are the same. I could fly to WI, grab WBL's sticks and shoot 78 I'm sure of it. There is no "magic" club. I like the looks of lots of clubs. I could just as easily be playing Titty 735, Bridgestone J33 CB, X-Tour etc. I don't think any of these will change my game at all.

Now changing from 300cc to 460cc or from blades to CB is a different story.

PS - I also agree with Rock, that once the shine is off a club you'll want to dump it.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I can't help but think it is kind of like spending $1000 for the Elmo doll at Christmas time. Is it really that much better than last years doll that went for $9.99. Now that it is established that people will pay that, it happens every year.

Muahaha, i got one of those right before xmas from a work draw. Apparently they're worth a pretty penny... But i still have it sitting here in the box:p

If anyone is interested in it for their kids let me know. The thing's laugh is annoying as hell, but kids seem to enjoy it:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.