• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

just bought a driver ive never hit before...

jamesj

Apr 1, 2006
yeah i just bought a driver off of ebay and ive never hit it before.

eBay: Titleist 905R DRIVER 9.5* w/ UST Proforce V2 STIFF (item 270145158727 end time Jul-14-07 19:23:12 PDT)

right now im using a 2005 cleveland launcher 460 ti with aldila nv65 stiff. i hit it decently but i think the shaft is too lite and not stiff enough. when i hit it with a fast swing, it tends to fly low and then balloon up. thats the shaft right? also the head of the driver is kind of getting old and banged up.

i swung the 907d1 and d2 at a demo day and got fitted for the proforce v2 76 gram stiff shaft. it felt really good swinging the heavier shaft around me and i didn't have to work as hard compared to swinging the 65 gram shaft if that makes any sense.

any thoughts on my new driver and shaft combo? ive heard a lot of good things about the 905r and hope its comparable to the 907d2 which i hit pretty well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good choice. Sounds like you hardly made a blind decision there since you already know it's the correct shaft. I've heard the 905R and D2 are so similar that most guys have just held on to their 905R's.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Mine is like point and shoot 270 down the pipe, it's fun right now.

2 buddies of mine switched to the 905R this year as well, one guy gained about 30 yards no lie and is hitting the ball totally different, way better traj, and more consistent. He is about a 13 HCP. PLays the NV in 65-S

The other dude is a 2 and he's got a great game. I was hitting it 5-10 yards by him last year when he was hitting the 905T, he's got me by 10 yards now since he's switched ;) Plays the V2 in 75S

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nice pickup, post pics when you get it, and reviews.

OP
J

jamesj

Apr 1, 2006
well i just went to my range and demo'd a 905R with v2 stiff. the only difference is that the demo was a 10.5* and i bought a 9.5*. i love everything about the driver but i mainly think im in love with the shaft. the v2 just feels so much more solid consistent than the nv65. im guessing its the heavier weight and the stiffer shaft and also that its a bore through head. i was hitting it very well and it just seemed easier to swing it. i swung my launcher between swings with the 905R and i can hit it well but i had to focus more worked harder to keep it on plane whereas with the v2, i could just pull it back and rip it down the center.

the big disappointment is the sound of the driver. coming from the launcher 460, the 905R basically has a silencer on it. my launcher was so loud and pingy and if i hit it perfectly hard, it would make such a sweet sound but the 905R sounds more dead and dull. anyone else's thoughts on sound comparison of the cleveland launcher and the 905R?

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
how are you sure the one you bought it 75G ? its not listed in the listing and since its not i would guess it is the 65 model

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The "standard" V2 in the 905 is the 75g. The 65g is special order. The odds are almost 100% it will be the 75g.

:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Interesting. I just ho'd a used Mizuno MX-500 with a V2 65g shaft. I think it's a custom order shaft for the driver.

Now I finally have a Mizuno club to go with my Mizuno bag.
icon12.gif

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Interesting. I just ho'd a used Mizuno MX-500 with a V2 65g shaft. I think it's a custom order shaft for the driver.

Now I finally have a Mizuno club to go with my Mizuno bag.
icon12.gif

Eracer

You've got ANOTHER new driver? I thought you were set with that... :D :D

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
i know jamesj's secret identity! james or should i say quick, i hve the R and it feels very solid but i tend to hook it...hope u like it

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Nice pickup on the 905R and that was a good price, even with the popup mark. Let me know if you want to sell it. :D

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online